2009 FIAC National Championships

Old November 18th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Les Earnest

Default 2009 FIAC National Championships

The Federation of Independent Associations for Cycling (FIAC) invites
race organizers to consider hosting one or more of the following eight
National Championships in 2009: Criterium, Cyclocross, Hill
Climb,Individual Time Trials, Six-Day Track, Stage Race, Team Time
Trial, and Track Omnium. For more information see the application form
at http://www.fiac.us/natzapp.htm.

Les Earnest, FIAC executive director
Old November 18th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Nov 18, 1:09*pm, Les Earnest wrote:
The Federation of Independent Associations for Cycling (FIAC) invites
race organizers to consider hosting one or more of the following eight
National Championships in 2009: Criterium, Cyclocross, Hill
Climb,Individual Time Trials, Six-Day Track, Stage Race, Team Time
Trial, and Track Omnium. For more information see the application form
athttp://www.fiac.us/natzapp.htm.

* * * * Les Earnest, FIAC executive director

Considering that I am a member of one of your federation's independent
associations, some may find this odd for me to point out, but here
goes:

it really doesn't do the FIAC any good to refer to its various
championships as a National championship. Until the organization has
a truly national membership, it is at best a farce to refer to it as
nationals. Maybe you could call the events exactly what they are,
FIAC Championships. Anything more is just silly.
Old November 18th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Scott" wrote in message

it really doesn't do the FIAC any good to refer to its various
championships as a National championship. Until the organization has
a truly national membership, it is at best a farce to refer to it as
nationals. Maybe you could call the events exactly what they are,
FIAC Championships. Anything more is just silly.

Scott, do you think that arguing semantics makes the slightest difference?
Bicycle racers are bicycle racers.

Old November 18th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Nov 18, 3:06*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message

it really doesn't do the FIAC any good to refer to its various
championships as a National championship. *Until the organization has
a truly national membership, it is at best a farce to refer to it as
nationals. *Maybe you could call the events exactly what they are,
FIAC Championships. *Anything more is just silly.

Scott, do you think that arguing semantics makes the slightest difference?
Bicycle racers are bicycle racers.

Tom,

Not really, but... it is still just frikkin' ridiculous to refer to
those events as "National" championships. I bet Henry and ol' monkey
farts are with me on this!
Old November 18th 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Scott" wrote in message
On Nov 18, 3:06 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

Scott, do you think that arguing semantics makes the slightest
difference?
Bicycle racers are bicycle racers.

Not really, but... it is still just frikkin' ridiculous to refer to
those events as "National" championships.

But it is a National Championship if it is open to anyone from across the
nation. If you want to argue anything else perhaps you ought to observe the
participants in the junior championships or age categories in the USCF.

I bet Henry and ol' monkey farts are with me on this!

I'll bet that they're with ANY counter movement no matter what.

Old November 18th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Nov 18, 3:23*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message

On Nov 18, 3:06 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

Scott, do you think that arguing semantics makes the slightest
difference?
Bicycle racers are bicycle racers.

Not really, but... it is still just frikkin' ridiculous to refer to
those events as "National" championships.

But it is a National Championship if it is open to anyone from across the
nation. If you want to argue anything else perhaps you ought to observe the
participants in the junior championships or age categories in the USCF.

I bet Henry and ol' monkey farts are with me on this!

I'll bet that they're with ANY counter movement no matter what.

I may be wrong on this, but I believe the events are open to license-
holders from the various independent associations, which isn't exactly
a nation-wide representation.

Frankly, calling the winners of the various FIAC National Championship
events 'national champions' is about as absurd as calling the winner
of the World Series or SuperBowl a world champion. Might as well call
'em the intergalactic championships.
Old November 19th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert[_11_]

"Scott" wrote in message

[...]

Have you seen the way France applies the word National to many of their
races? At least many of their races are written up or referred to as
nationals in their archives. They use the word quite liberally besides their
yearly nats in summer. I am exaggerating a bit when I say everything seems
like a national championship over there, but still...

Robert

Old November 30th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Scott wrote:

[...]

Scott Paper Towels,

The designation of "U.S. national championships" is appropriate because the
race is open to any citizen of the United States. So the potential
membership pool is just as non-exclusive as USA Cycling's.

Thanks,

Magilla

Old November 30th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Tom Kunich wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
On Nov 18, 3:06 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
I bet Henry and ol' monkey farts are with me on this!

I'll bet that they're with ANY counter movement no matter what.

Hey Kuney Island Psychlone,

Is Pepsi a "counter-movement" to Coke? Is Lowe's a counter-movement to The
Home Depot? How about Burger King vs. McDonalds?

Goddamn, you are stupid.

Thanks,

Magilla