Cyclometer and Cargo Bikes...

Old August 26th 17, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Cyclometer and Cargo Bikes...

On 2017-08-26 07:17, wrote:
On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 12:50:12 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

[...]

But you can use a rock and a nail -- but make sure its an old square
nail and the rock has a high feldspar content. You'll know when its
up to torque when the rock starts breaking apart -- and an owl passes
across the moon, and the great spirit sends you a signal. Or you
could get a torque wrench.

I like multi-purpose tools :-)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Ha.../dp/B00C68JD3Y

I was surprised how accurate those are. Weighed a suitcase at 49.0lbs.
Lifted it onto the baggage check scales at UAL, with that white-knuckle
feel that it might be over. Nope, their display also showed 49.0lbs. On
the way back I weighed it with another such device in Europe and same
thing at the Lufthansa check-in counter, the weight was right on the money.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Neiko-Bea...l13=&veh= sem

You know for $18 a torque wrench isn't a bank breaking tool.

However, it does not have such an accurate digital display as my
solution :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 26th 17, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2017-08-26 07:17, wrote:
On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 12:50:12 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

[...]

Â* But you can use a rock and a nail -- but make sure its an old square
[...]

There are people who think that anything with a digital display must be
more accurate than anything with an analog display. Those people are
simply wrong. Accuracy is affected by the design of the entire system,
not merely the display.

Example: I once dissected a bathroom scale that had a digital display.
That one had precisely the same collection of levers and springs found
in an analog bathroom scale; but instead of rotating a disk printed with
numbers, it rotated a sort of encoder wheel. The electronics read the
encoder and flashed the LED numerals. It was all for show, with perhaps
a slight benefit regarding reading numbers in dim light. Or perhaps
helping people who can't interpolate using the little marks between 210
and 215.

In the case of your kludge: The digital luggage scale may use a simple
spring as a transducer, just as that bath scale did, and be no more
accurate than a spring scale. If instead it has a system based on
strain gages or other such technology, it may or may not have proper
temperature compensation. If it actually is very accurate, your kludge
also depends on your positioning of the scale on your wrench or other
lever arm, and I'd suspect your precision in placing it at exactly 8"
(or wherever) is less than stellar. And if you do place it at precisely
the right location, you also need to pull precisely perpendicular to the
lever arm. Of course, as the lever arm rotates, you must maintain that
perpendicularity, and your eyeballs may not be as good at that as you
probably believe.

OTOH, for a bottom bracket retainer, the torque really isn't all that
critical. Rather than fuss around with a weird kludge, I'd either judge
the tightness by hand, or do what I actually did - which was just buy a
blasted torque wrench, and do it nearly 50 years ago.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 26th 17, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, August 26, 2017 at 7:55:09 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-08-26 07:17, wrote:
[...]

Your solution is s f****** luggage scale. Even a cheap torque wrench will be a wrench -- something that you can put a hex socket on and that will get you within the specified torque range. It's not brain surgery or airline travel. It's bike repair.

I just put on a crank -- SRAM with a 10mm socket 43-47 NM. I did it with a nice Craftsman torque wrench my wife gave me as a Christmas gift. It replaced the $20 beam wrench I bought 20+ years ago. Five minute job -- no attempting to use a 6" socket wrench, torqued with a full suitcase hanging off a luggage scale or some other kludge. How do you even make that work? Is your time not worth anything?

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 26th 17, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2017-08-26 07:17, wrote:
[...]

You do need to make sure the 8mm bolt on an Octalink crank is tight enough because those things wallow. It's not a job you should do with a 4-6" hex wrench and a luggage scale -- or a rock, nail or what-have-you.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 26th 17, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-26 07:17, wrote:
[...]

I thought you were an engineer.

1. Those things can easily be calibrated. When I checked mine it was
right on the money over the whole range needed, as checked versus
commercial grade scales (those where the government hands out fines if
inaccurate). You can also used known weights. It's easy.

2. I design electronics for a living so I know full well when something
is accurate, digital or analog.

3. A torque wrench has sufficient accuracy for such jobs. The suitcase
scale has way more accuract and, therefore, its accuracy is way more
than sufficient for the job.

Example: I once dissected a bathroom scale that had a digital
display. That one had precisely the same collection of levers and
springs found in an analog bathroom scale; but instead of rotating
a disk printed with numbers, it rotated a sort of encoder wheel.
The electronics read the encoder and flashed the LED numerals. It
was all for show, with perhaps a slight benefit regarding reading
numbers in dim light. Or perhaps helping people who can't
interpolate using the little marks between 210 and 215.

Probably you buy that at some discount store. Proper digital scales have
real pressure sensors. This kind:

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%2...990100_Web.pdf

For commercial use you'd need class C3 or better. For weighing the belly
or use as a torque indicator C2 is plenty.

In the case of your kludge: The digital luggage scale may use a
simple spring as a transducer, just as that bath scale did, and be
no more accurate than a spring scale. If instead it has a system
based on strain gages or other such technology, it may or may not
have proper temperature compensation. If it actually is very
accurate, your kludge also depends on your positioning of the scale
on your wrench or other lever arm, and I'd suspect your precision
in placing it at exactly 8" (or wherever) is less than stellar. And
if you do place it at precisely the right location, you also need
to pull precisely perpendicular to the lever arm. Of course, as
the lever arm rotates, you must maintain that perpendicularity, and
your eyeballs may not be as good at that as you probably believe.

Miraculously it doesn't seem to have any of those issues. It is more
accurate that a torque wrench where you usually don't even get 5%.
Accuracy isn't needed for bike stuff but the luggage scale sure suffices.

OTOH, for a bottom bracket retainer, the torque really isn't all
that critical. Rather than fuss around with a weird kludge, I'd
either judge the tightness by hand, or do what I actually did -
which was just buy a blasted torque wrench, and do it nearly 50
years ago.

You do need to make sure the 8mm bolt on an Octalink crank is tight
enough because those things wallow. It's not a job you should do with
a 4-6" hex wrench and a luggage scale -- or a rock, nail or
what-have-you.

It's a hex insert in a 8" wrench handle. In conjunction with a luggage
scale way more accurate than it needs to be. If I didn't have that I'd
use an Allen wrench with a steel pipe slipped over it to get a defined
length.

Old August 26th 17, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-26 07:17, wrote:
[...]

How do you guys get this "hanging a suitcase" idea all the time? My
suitcases stay in the walk-in closets unless I need to travel. The the
suitcase scale doubles as a tool to prevent a nasty surprise and fee at
the airline check-in counter.

It is also useful to determine how much water I got in a bucket for
brewing, something that does have to be quite accurate as well.

This li'l device has lots of uses.

How do you even make that work?

Simple: Click wrench handle into Shimano BB socket, stick into BB cup,
screw that in until quite tight, slip suitcase scale loop over the
grooved or knurled end (depending on whether I use the ratcheting on
non-ratcheting handle), push button, pull while looking at display. When
display reads target number, stop. Do the same on the non-drive side. Done.

... Is your time not worth anything?

How does the above procedure cost much time?

Old August 26th 17, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2017-08-26 07:17, wrote:
[...]

You're using the wrong kind of nail. The good ones come out
of wooden fenceposts in Cameron Park.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 26th 17, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2017-08-26 07:17, wrote:
[...]

That does not tell you the torque at the fastener. It tells you the downward force on a lever arm. You need to calculate the torque -- which I'm sure you do in your head, like a super-computer, taking into consideration the bending of the wrench, movement of the earth, precession of the moon.

Reality check: how many times have you gone into a bike shop, auto repair or any other shop where fasteners are regularly tightened -- say Les Schwab Tire -- and seen them using a luggage scale instead of a torque wrench? Why do you persist in claiming that a Chinese POS luggage scale is as good as a real torque wrench? I don't get why all the kludging is a point of pride.. It's like being proud of using newspaper for underwear or a Glad bag for rain gear.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old August 26th 17, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Joerg's bike shop in Cameron Park: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WqazleR3FE

Old August 26th 17, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-26 10:15, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

... Is your time not worth anything?

How does the above procedure cost much time?

That does not tell you the torque at the fastener. It tells you the
downward force on a lever arm. You need to calculate the torque --
which I'm sure you do in your head, like a super-computer, taking
into consideration the bending of the wrench, movement of the earth,
precession of the moon.

The wrench handle is 8" long. A foot is 12". So one has to multiply by
1.5. Man, that's complicated.

I know schools and math proficiency are bad these days and kids might
not be able to multiply by 1.5 in their heads but I thought you were a
bit older and thus know how to do that :-)

Reality check: how many times have you gone into a bike shop, auto
repair or any other shop where fasteners are regularly tightened --
say Les Schwab Tire -- and seen them using a luggage scale instead of
a torque wrench?

Reality check #1: Those people do this every day, all day long. They
probably even have automated electric or pneumatic torque limiters.

Reality check #2: You and I are not car mechanics. How often do you use
a torque wrench?

... Why do you persist in claiming that a Chinese POS
luggage scale is as good as a real torque wrench?

Because it is. There is nothing POS about it. Actually it is more
precise than the presentend $18 torque wrench. Not that it needs to be
but it is.

... I don't get why
all the kludging is a point of pride. It's like being proud of using
newspaper for underwear or a Glad bag for rain gear.

As I said, it's not about being greedy. As we get older my wife and I
have decided not to buy more stuff and add clutter if there is a
reasonable way to get around it. For torqueing bike parts there is a
reasonable way to get around it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

"Cargo bikes the new minivan for cycling families" sms Techniques 15 December 14th 13 03:53 AM
Cargo Ted General 9 October 20th 06 04:11 AM
cyclometer Warren Davies General 6 January 10th 06 12:24 PM
cyclometer Warren Davies Techniques 1 January 9th 06 03:46 PM
GPS/Cyclometer mgrant Unicycling 3 July 31st 04 08:20 PM