In defence of the Lance era

Old July 15th 03, 06:17 AM
Bret Wade

Default In defence of the Lance era

I'm a Lance supporter, but IMO not a rabid one. Thinking about both past
and recent events it occurs to me that the Lance era has provided more
unique TDF moments than any other riders, despite frequent criticism for
being boring. And now in his quest for a 5th win, we finally have
suspense to go with it. Anyway, here's my list of unique Lance moments.
Challenge it if you can with that of another rider:

1. Post-cancer body change. No one else has reinvented himself to the
extent that Lance has. Jalabert and Kelly come the closest, but they
don't compare.

2. The Look. Actually, it wasn't the look that fascinated me, but the
monster leadout from Rubiera after Lance had played possum that
fascinated me about that incident.

3. Beloki crashes and Lance goes cross country. One man cruelly stricken
while in the same moment the other is blessed with luck and incredible
grace under pressure.

4. Ullrich goes cross country with mixed results. Lance waits showing
decency and fairplay to the only man who can beat him.

5. Lance and Pantani squabble after Mt. Ventoux. Not inspiring but
entertaining.

6. Lance's stage win dedicated to Casartelli (sp?)

7. Lance and Postal finally win the TTT.

8. Lance and Postal have a plan for the Passage du Gois.

9. Lance and Carmichael reinvent spinning.

10. Lance persecuted by the french over suspected drug use, leading to
press conferences and the "What am I on?" Nike commercial.

Old July 15th 03, 06:45 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Bret Wade" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
I'm a Lance supporter, but IMO not a rabid one. Thinking about both past
and recent events it occurs to me that the Lance era has provided more
unique TDF moments than any other riders, despite frequent criticism for
being boring. And now in his quest for a 5th win, we finally have
suspense to go with it. Anyway, here's my list of unique Lance moments.
Challenge it if you can with that of another rider:

OK.

Top 10 moments, K. Gringioni, Masters Fattie:

#1) turns 35, rides in Masters Fattie Race
#2) ummm
#3) uhh
#4) hmmm
#5) errrrr
#6) ahhh
#7) ugh
#8) aughhhh
#9) owwwwww
#10) wins inner tube prime in 10th Masters Fattie Race
#11) can now consider himself to be "almost pro"

Old July 15th 03, 06:54 AM
Bret Wade

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

rthlink.net...

#1) turns 35, rides in Masters Fattie Race
#2) ummm
#3) uhh
#4) hmmm
#5) errrrr
#6) ahhh
#7) ugh
#8) aughhhh
#9) owwwwww
#10) wins inner tube prime in 10th Masters Fattie Race
#11) can now consider himself to be "almost pro"

That's the best you can do? Okay, I'll start a list for you:

Eddy Merckx

1. Gets punched in the liver by a rabid frenchman.

2. Attacks in a downpour causing Ocana to crash out.

3. Wins GC, climber and sprint jerseys in same year.

Bret

Old July 15th 03, 10:32 AM
Benjamin Weiner

Bret Wade wrote:
I'm a Lance supporter, but IMO not a rabid one. Thinking about both past

agree

and recent events it occurs to me that the Lance era has provided more
unique TDF moments than any other riders, despite frequent criticism for
being boring. And now in his quest for a 5th win, we finally have
suspense to go with it. Anyway, here's my list of unique Lance moments.
Challenge it if you can with that of another rider:

It's hard to say since I've seen so much more footage of the Lance era
than any other. Plus his near-predecessor is the methodical Indurain
who wasn't big on moments.

2. The Look. Actually, it wasn't the look that fascinated me, but the
monster leadout from Rubiera after Lance had played possum that
fascinated me about that incident.

I still don't think The Look itself was that important, but the
acting job, the sudden leadout, and the shot of Ullrich riding
desperately with his earpiece ripped out all combined. For real
drama you need buildup and this had it.

Another moment is on Sestrieres in 1999 when Armstrong bridges
up to the leaders and Escartin (I think) looks over at him like
"Who the **** are _you_??"

I'm sure someone with more knowledge could make a list
of Hinault moments, like riding to that stage finish with a
liter of blood pouring out of his face. Or winning LBL by
ten minutes in a blizzard (okay, not a Tour moment).

Old July 15th 03, 10:32 PM
Precious Pup

Bret Wade wrote:

4. Ullrich goes cross country with mixed results. Lance waits showing
decency and fairplay to the only man who can beat him.

I have nothing against LA and he is certainly a great bike rider, but...

It's pretty easy to be a good sport when you have a 7 minute lead. So "the only man who can beat him" is
false unless something very strange were to happen.
Old July 15th 03, 11:11 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Precious Pup" wrote in message

Bret Wade wrote:

4. Ullrich goes cross country with mixed results. Lance waits showing
decency and fairplay to the only man who can beat him.

I have nothing against LA and he is certainly a great bike rider, but...

It's pretty easy to be a good sport when you have a 7 minute lead. So

"the only man who can beat him" is
false unless something very strange were to happen.

Still, Ullrich was doing everything he could to drop him.

So, LANCE's waiting displayed good sportsmanship as did Ullrich's handshake
at the end.