Latest Homemade Bike Light Housing

Old July 6th 04, 11:38 AM
Gags

Default Latest Homemade Bike Light Housing

I am pretty happy with my latest effort that I had a mate with a lathe turn
up for me.......

http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsl4xun/lights_7.htm

What do you think??

Old July 6th 04, 02:38 PM
Marty Wallace

Default LED light prototype, ( was Latest Homemade Bike Light Housing)

"Gags" tba@tba wrote in message ...
I am pretty happy with my latest effort that I had a mate with a lathe

turn
up for me.......

http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsl4xun/lights_7.htm

What do you think??

Not bad!

Here's a link to my 5 Watt Luxeon Star headlight. It's a bit rough so don't
s******. It works well.

http://www.hyperactive.oz.nf/LED/5_w...ycle_light.htm

Marty

Old July 7th 04, 01:15 AM
cfsmtb

Marty Wallace wrote:
Not bad!
Here's a link to my 5 Watt Luxeon Star headlight. It's a bit rough so
don't s******. It works well.
http://www.hyperactive.oz.nf/LED/5_w...cycle_light.h-
http://www.hyperactive.oz.nf/LED/5_w...cle_light.h-tm Marty

Not s******ing at all here, you typed in the Magic Word,

L U X E O N

Oh yeah baby....

Old July 7th 04, 01:30 AM
hippy

Originally posted by Gags
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsl4xun/lights_7.htm What do you think??

If you're using a vistlite mount.. why didn't you just use the whole
vistalite?

I guess once you've sorted out the casing you can find a home-made
option for the bar mount too?? (mmm carbon bars)

hippy

Old July 7th 04, 01:45 AM
suzyj

Originally posted by Gags:

http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsl4xun/lights_7.htm"]http://www.users.t-
pg.com.au/adsl4xun/lights_7.htm

What do you think??

*drool*

That's _so_ cool.

Regards,

Suzy

Old July 7th 04, 03:22 AM
Tom Nicholson

Nice lights.

Check out the Moz version.

http://www.moz.net.nz/bike/equipment...led/index.html

nice led lights from J car with built in reflectors.

Tom
Old July 7th 04, 05:03 AM
Mike

Tom Nicholson wrote:
Nice lights.

Check out the Moz version.

http://www.moz.net.nz/bike/equipment...led/index.html

nice led lights from J car with built in reflectors.

Tom

The data sheet isn't very clear. Is that jaycar part just
4 chains of 3 LEDs with a series resistor? No regulator?
Total power is only 1W at 12V. i wonder how it compares
to the Luxon 1W.

The Jaycar site is rather misleading. It should say its only
1W and nowhere near as bright as a MR-11.

These white LEDs are no more efficient than a good halogen, and need
more electronics. (or a wasteful series resistor)
Of course, you can't get an efficient halogen at low power levels,
but at 5W+, I dont see the point of using LEDs.
Old July 7th 04, 05:09 AM
tony f

"Gags" tba@tba wrote in message ...
I am pretty happy with my latest effort that I had a mate with a lathe

turn
up for me.......

http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsl4xun/lights_7.htm

What do you think??

Very neat. No, sexy! I knew people could do better than I could.

Tony F
www.thefathippy.com
homemade bike lights and Blue Mountains mtb rides

Old July 7th 04, 06:26 AM
Marty Wallace

"Mike" wrote in message
Tom Nicholson wrote:
Nice lights.

Check out the Moz version.

http://www.moz.net.nz/bike/equipment...led/index.html

nice led lights from J car with built in reflectors.

Tom

The data sheet isn't very clear. Is that jaycar part just
4 chains of 3 LEDs with a series resistor? No regulator?
Total power is only 1W at 12V. i wonder how it compares
to the Luxon 1W.

The Jaycar site is rather misleading. It should say its only
1W and nowhere near as bright as a MR-11.

These white LEDs are no more efficient than a good halogen, and need
more electronics. (or a wasteful series resistor)
Of course, you can't get an efficient halogen at low power levels,
but at 5W+, I dont see the point of using LEDs.

The problem with the MR designs is that the connection is difficult to the
lamp is problematic and the lamp itself is awkwardly shaped as far as
housings go. That's why most experimenting is based around the lamp holder
itself. Most sockets for the MR connections aren't very secure and you can't
solder the terminals because they're stainless steel. MR bulbs less than 10
watts are extremely rare. Have a look at the cost of replacement bulbs at
Phantom cycles.
The 5 Watt Luxeon LED is comparable in my opinion to a 10 watt MR bulb. It
may be slightly less brighter but it's enough to ride on the road. Because
of it's lower power draw I use a 2 amp hour battery which saves weight and
makes it easier to mount on the frame. I still get three or four hours of
riding time.
The LED lamp is lighter, more aero, and has less risk of failure due to a
filament burning out.

The experimentation is still in its early days yet and I'm sure there are
people out there that will come up with much better designs than me.

Marty

Old July 8th 04, 10:23 AM
Gags

"tony f" wrote in message

"Gags" tba@tba wrote in message ...
I am pretty happy with my latest effort that I had a mate with a lathe

turn
up for me.......

http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsl4xun/lights_7.htm

What do you think??

Very neat. No, sexy! I knew people could do better than I could.

Tony F
www.thefathippy.com
homemade bike lights and Blue Mountains mtb rides

The Fat Hippy!!!!! my mentor when it comes to making bike lights........his
was the first site I found when I decided to build some lights and did a web
search......thanks Tony.

Gags