RR: Easter carnage

Old April 10th 07, 11:59 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Duncan

Default RR: Easter carnage

Hello,
I'd written the following on a local list I'm on and thought I'd share it
here. I had my first crack at solo in an 8 hour enduro and it didn't quite
go to plan....

"
The day started quite well, beautiful weather and all the slick
production values we've come to expect from FGP events. I'd chosen to
ride the fixie as the field was quite small and I didn't want the
pressure of trying to be competitive. The first lap was pretty awkward
as I'd forgotten how much harder the fixie is to ride with such a small
gear (34:16). I did manage to avoid two Troy Bailey pile ups so that
was good.
The second lap was much nicer with an almost empty track and I'd found
my groove over the multitude of logs and such. Those on-one forks were
really pummeling my hands though as you can't relax much coming into
rutted corners with only a front brake and spinning pedals.
Turns out my hands weren't the only things getting pummeled. As I was
exiting one of the last berms on the commonwealth games course I suddenly
found
myself free falling towards the sharp rocky surface. I didn't have time
to roll and took the full force on my right elbow/forearm. It took all
of about half a second to figure what happened when I saw half a
handlebar lying next to me.
I was bleeding a lot so wanted to get back ASAP. Dirt Crit rider Garth
was a few minutes behind me and he insisted he help but he was now in
first place with Troy not far behind so I eventually convinced him to
keep going. I nearly crashed a second time riding a half handlebarred
bike back to transition, I think that would've made me cry.
St Johns did a great job cleaning me up but they needed to send me off
to get stitched up. Big thanks to Shane from BSC for driving me to
hospital, not too much of a wait and three stitches in the leg where the
bar cut me and 6 stitches to the arm. People were guessing 15 stitches
for the arm which it would've been if there was enough flesh left to stitch.
Once I got back to the event a few people had been trying to find me a
replacement handlebar to finish the race. Big thanks to Rich for
lending me a set of risers. I felt pretty good so I went back to the
stack site to finish that lap. Five hours and 14 minutes was pretty
slow but I did have a major detour.
Deciding to do another 20km lap was possibly one of the stupidest
decisions I've made in quite some time as only after a few kilometres I
was becoming painfully aware that the anaesthetic was wearing off and I
had a lot more injuries than I originally knew about. I now know what
it must feel like to operate a jackhammer with a badly bruised and
sprained left hand.
For the first time in an enduro I joined the queue to wait for the clock
to tick down before crossing the line.
"

Old April 10th 07, 01:47 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Duncan wrote:
[...]

Holy crap dude. Wanna be my bodyguard? That's some dedication.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old April 10th 07, 03:22 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Corvus Corvax

On Apr 10, 6:59 am, "Duncan" wrote:
[...carnage...]

Way to ride, man. This is the first really good ride report we've had
in a long time.

CC

Old April 10th 07, 03:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

Duncan wrote:
Hello,
I'd written the following on a local list I'm on and thought I'd share it
here. I had my first crack at solo in an 8 hour enduro and it didn't quite
go to plan....

snip

Wow. That's hard core!
I think this Nigel quote fits he "It's a fine line between stupid and
clever."

Matt
Old April 10th 07, 03:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Apr 10, 6:59 am, "Duncan" wrote:
[...]

They say you're decended from Brit inmates, but this sounds like the
work of Vikings and Huns (though all the pillaging was on your own
physique.) There's something in that Ozzie water.

Cheers!

/s

ps: Was Andy White in attendance?

Old April 10th 07, 07:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Tenacious D!!!!!!

Greg

--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky
Old April 10th 07, 07:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Apr 10, 2:06 pm, "G.T." wrote:
Scott Gordo wrote:
On Apr 10, 6:59 am, "Duncan" wrote:
[...]

Dethink to survive - Mclusky- Hide quoted text -

?

You're gonna have to give me a song to listen to.

/s

PS: I recently (finally) saw "School of Rock" -- I need to find an
image of the blackboard where that diagram of rock was chalked
(snippet here http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,534945,00.html). From
what little I could make out, Jack Black and I may share the same
brain.

Old April 10th 07, 07:41 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Shawn

Duncan wrote:
[...]

Wow! Woulda been time to kick back and watch others suffer for me.

Shawn
Old April 11th 07, 12:44 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Apr 10, 3:59 am, "Duncan" wrote:
The first lap was pretty awkward
as I'd forgotten how much harder the fixie is to ride with such a small
gear (34:16).

Fixie weirdo.

Now go heal up and ride some more.

JD

Old April 11th 07, 12:48 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

"Scott Gordo" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 10, 2:06 pm, "G.T." wrote:
Scott Gordo wrote:

They say you're decended from Brit inmates, but this sounds like the
work of Vikings and Huns (though all the pillaging was on your own
physique.) There's something in that Ozzie water.

Tenacious D!!!!!!

?

You're gonna have to give me a song to listen to.

No song, just the name, I probably should have just said Tenacious
Duncan!!!!!!

PS: I recently (finally) saw "School of Rock" -- I need to find an
image of the blackboard where that diagram of rock was chalked
(snippet here http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,534945,00.html). From
what little I could make out, Jack Black and I may share the same
brain.

Ouch.

Greg
--
"What have you got in that paper bag?
Is it a dose of Vitamin C?

Easter drag ray Australia 1 April 14th 07 02:45 PM
Happy Easter! Brian Mountain Biking 8 April 9th 07 04:35 AM
CarNage: Do we blame it on the Food we feed our brains? rooman Australia 19 December 20th 06 08:54 AM
Tucson carnage Callistus Valerius Techniques 14 December 10th 06 07:40 AM
Carnage pics Westie Mountain Biking 13 February 12th 04 12:31 AM