Have $2500 to spend, what should I buy?

Old August 12th 03, 01:37 AM
Rick Onanian

Default Have $2500 to spend, what should I buy?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:04:16 -0500, Pat wrote:
They told me I have to spend it all at the bike shop. I can't take any
cash home with me.

Buy yourself a fleet of nice bikes -- and something
nice for that kid who can't spend more than $150. I
feel so bad for him.

Let's see, with $2500, you could spend...

-- $1000 on a nice road bike. Nix that, you have one already.

-- $1200 on a nice FS MTB.
-- 500 on a hybrid
-- 500 on an insane BMX -- there's some territory
that nobody talks about here. I've been
considering that lately, must be fun.
-- 300 on accessories, clothes, components, and TOOLS!

If it's necessary to spend it all on a single bike, get an
insane MTB and upgrade it a lot before it leaves the shop.

If it's necessary to spend it all on a single, off-the-shelf
bike, see if your LBS can order that cool all-wheel-drive
MTB I saw on the cover of a magazine awhile back.

I can't imagine already having a good road bike that I'm
happy with, and then spending $2500, and not having any
more diversity in my bicycling...that's why I keep saying
to get the MTB.

What I wouldn't give to have your problem...

Can you describe the circumstances a little better? Maybe
we can all figure out how to have your problem!

Pat in TX

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 12th 03, 11:37 AM
Arpit

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:37:39 -0400, Rick Onanian
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:04:16 -0500, Pat wrote:
They told me I have to spend it all at the bike shop. I can't take any
cash home with me.

Buy yourself a fleet of nice bikes -- and something
nice for that kid who can't spend more than $150. I
feel so bad for him.

My parents paid 45 USD for my bike from kmart, but its very nice...
sigh
Old August 12th 03, 01:00 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
x-no-archive:yes

What I wouldn't give to have your problem...

Can you describe the circumstances a little better? Maybe
we can all figure out how to have your problem!

--
Rick Onanian

It was a raffle. The check is made out to the bike shop, but in my name, for
merchandise only. The raffle said, "Win a New Bike!" but they really meant,
"Win a Gift Certificate". That figures, though, because they couldn't know
if the winner would be short or tall. Anyway, I got so excited I entered
another raffle for a new car. You never know---maybe I'm on a roll!

I was thinking maybe a mountain bike with an extra set of wheels. You know,
one set with slicks and one set with knobbies.....I have been doing a lot of
thinking and I'm not finished playing around with it, yet. It seems to me
that I could buy 'more' mountain bike for that amount than I could a road
bike. I think my road bike frame is okay, and when the components wear out,
I'll upgrade to better components. The road bike was new in 2001, after all!
Only problem is, I am not sure I can take a bike made for Veloce components
and put, say, Chorus on it....bottom bracket same size?

Go ahead and buy the components with the money. IIRC, a full Dura-Ace
group is around $1200. Then you have $1300 left for a MTB and
accessories.

--
David Kerber
An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good

Old August 13th 03, 02:30 AM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:52:56 -0500, Pat wrote:
I was thinking maybe a mountain bike with an extra set of wheels. You
know,
one set with slicks and one set with knobbies.....I have been doing a lot

That was an idea of mine back when I hadn't the money for
a road bike; but having a road bike, I don't imagine myself
wanting to ride the MTB on pavement again.

that I could buy 'more' mountain bike for that amount than I could a road

Indeed, you could.

Only problem is, I am not sure I can take a bike made for Veloce
components and put, say, Chorus on it....bottom bracket same size?

Different BB size just means you'll put a different BB on.
No big deal.

Maybe my brain will burst first! I have all sorts of wild thoughts
running
through it. A little voice in the back keeps saying "titanium????"

Go to the store and see what's there...then come back and
post a list.

Pat in TX

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 23rd 03, 10:56 PM
wyeaster

Pat wrote:
x-no-archive:yes

[...]

Hey, prices are down at lots of stores, due to the end of the season.
Where is our list of what the store carries??? Or do you just want to
flash your wad around? Do they carry Kona? Get a Stinky Deluxe. Giant?
Get a VT-1 or an NRS? Rocky Mountain? Get an Insinct. But get busy, we
don't have all month.

sm in OR

--
Don't give up, don't ever give up.

Old August 24th 03, 12:08 AM
Mike Kruger

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message

I'm in "British Columbia" where the Columbia river; rises then flows
southward across the state of Washington and forms its border with
Oregon before emptying into the Pacific

I could never understand this expression, although it is a common one.
A river never really "rises", unless perhaps it originates from geysers in
someplace like Yellowstone.
A river is always going downhill.

Returning to the original poster's question:
If he's never been motivated to buy a $350 mountain bike, it's pointless to
recommend something like that; it will just sit in the garage.
I'd recommend he look at something like a Waterford, which can be ordered by
a LBS and put together there; they aren't really "custom", just bikes with a
lot of options. The Waterfords are descendants of the old Schwinn
Paramount, the Schwinn family is still active in its management, and there
are several people in my local bike club who like theirs a lot.
http://www.waterfordbikes.com/

All my 6 bikes put together are nowhere near $2500, so take this advice with
a grain of salt.

Old August 24th 03, 01:52 AM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

Hey, prices are down at lots of stores, due to the end of the season.
Where is our list of what the store carries??? Or do you just want to
flash your wad around? Do they carry Kona? Get a Stinky Deluxe. Giant?
Get a VT-1 or an NRS? Rocky Mountain? Get an Insinct. But get busy, we
don't have all month.

sm in OR

I appreciate your input. No, they don't sell Kona or Giant. They sell
Trek, Specialized, Gary Fisher, Merlin, Seven,Ind. Fabrications, Klein,
Litespeed, Rocky Mountain, and Serotta. I have been talking back and forth
with my local bike shop and I am leaning toward the Rocky Mountain ETSX-70.
The want to sell me one for $3100, so I would have to add some money to the
gift certificate, but what is your opinion of this bike? I am definitely
leaning toward a mtn bike and the Seven Duo costs $3510 for frame alone....

Pat

Old August 24th 03, 04:24 AM
Mike Kruger

"Pat" wrote in message
...I would have to add some money to the
gift certificate, ...

Oh, so it's a gift certificate we are talking about -- not, for example, an
accident settlement.
So, here's a possible idea:

For the last couple of years, my wife has given me a gift certificate to my
favorite LBS for Christmas.
(nowhere near $2500, of course) The LBS owner enters this as a credit
balance in his shop computer, and I run it off during the year. He also
automatically enters my "bike club" discount in there. The credit balance
occasionally confuses the junior shop staff, but overall this works out
well. In particular, rather than taking my business for granted (since I'm
"prepaid"), I'm treated as a likely long term customer.

So, you might consider getting a bike for about $1600-1800, outfitting it
nicely, and leaving the remainder for future tires, tubes, repairs, etc.

Old August 24th 03, 06:14 AM
Bernie

Mike Kruger wrote:

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

I think you have it nailed Ryan. Since my LBS owners realized I was "their"
customer, I get really good service, unasked for discounts, and they will order
anything I ask for, no need for a deposit. I enjoy the relationship. Chain
stores and bigger bicycle retailers just can't perform like this.
Sometimes I pay more than I'd pay at a larger supplier, but I get freebies like
no charge brake tune ups, derailleur adjustments while we are having a cool one
and discussing how Lance does it...
That kind of "ambience" is more than dollar valuable. It enhances the quality
of one's life.
Experience tells me it is good to do business with your fave bike shop.
Best regards, Bernie

Old August 24th 03, 04:58 PM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

[...]

You have a good idea, but in my case, I doubt it would work. The raffle
that I won specifies the money be spent at a certain bike shop on a new
bicycle. That limits things a bit. However, I had totally forgotten about
the bike club discount (hereabouts, that amounts to 10%). Maybe I can
parlay that on top of the gift certificate .....

[...]

Your idea is good, too, but not in my case. Why? Because the bike shop is 55
miles from my front door. It is not my local bike shop! I wish I could
spend the certificate locally, but I can't.

Pat in TX