Going Clipless

Old April 17th 04, 07:47 PM
iarocu

Default Going Clipless

Until now I,ve used toeclips on my three bikes. I am needing a new
pair of pedals for my tourer anyway. My new shoes (Shimano MO37)are
SPD compatable and have a reasonably stiff sole.
Is now the time to go clipless? Has anyone ever gone back to clips
after not getting on with spuds? Does anyone use different systems on
different bikes or does this lead to more falling over sideways when
stopping?
Iain C
Old April 17th 04, 08:47 PM
Peter B

"iarocu" wrote in message
om...
Until now I,ve used toeclips on my three bikes. I am needing a new
pair of pedals for my tourer anyway. My new shoes (Shimano MO37)are
SPD compatable and have a reasonably stiff sole.
Is now the time to go clipless? Has anyone ever gone back to clips
after not getting on with spuds? Does anyone use different systems on
different bikes or does this lead to more falling over sideways when
stopping?

I can't recall in which order I carried it out but I moved to clipless on
either my mtb or road bike whilst retaining toe-clips on t'other (long time
ago) and don't recall a problem due to it.
But with decent Shimano spd pedals being so cheap now I can't see a reason
for not changing all bikes at once, unless of course you have a vast
collection :-)
IIRC I paid about 90 quid for my first pair of XT spds about a decade ago,
which was a lot of wonga. More recently I bought a pair of M540's for a
third of that and they're superior.

Old April 17th 04, 09:22 PM
Pete Biggs

iarocu wrote:
Until now I,ve used toeclips on my three bikes. I am needing a new
pair of pedals for my tourer anyway. My new shoes (Shimano MO37)are
SPD compatable and have a reasonably stiff sole.
Is now the time to go clipless?

Not a bad time anyway.

Has anyone ever gone back to clips
after not getting on with spuds?

Not gone back to exactly, but I sometimes use clips when I want to wear
ordinary shoes. The majority of people who try clipless stick with them.

Does anyone use different systems on
different bikes or does this lead to more falling over sideways when
stopping?

It's not a problem because clipless pedals train you to twist foot before
releasing. Twisting from toe clips doesn't cause any harm.

~PB

Old April 17th 04, 09:31 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Until now I,ve used toeclips on my three bikes. I am needing a new
pair of pedals for my tourer anyway. My new shoes (Shimano MO37)are
SPD compatable and have a reasonably stiff sole.
Is now the time to go clipless? Has anyone ever gone back to clips
after not getting on with spuds? Does anyone use different systems on
different bikes or does this lead to more falling over sideways when
stopping?
Iain C

I went clipless unitentionally - a guy gave me a pair of Look shoes for free
:-)

No, I would not willingly go back to "normal" pedals with or without toeclips.

Before I went clipless I used to get *constant* pains in my knees. Now I don't.
Clipess is a more efficent pedal - allowing you to put less strain on the knee
joint when pushing on the pedal as you don't have to push as hard - you can
also pull on the upstroke easier, thus saving on those knees.

Yes, it took a little while to get used to remembering to unclip before the
bike stopped ;-) Now I've got it off to a tee, even in busy traffic, I will not
than getting in and out of toeclips done up tightly.

I've only ever used the Look system of clipless and I have no regrets.

Cheers, helen s

p.s. and if a fatbird in her forties can get used to and enjoy the benefits of
clipless, perhaps anyone can :-)

**$om $