Not the best start to the commuting week...

Old July 7th 04, 06:45 AM
hippy

Default Not the best start to the commuting week...

Originally posted by ritcho I'm happy to believe the rim was worn
through, it just doesn't happen to many people, that's all.

Yeah.. more common on bikes that get into mud lots..

Whilst I'll admit that I'm a bit of novice when it comes to
maintenance, I'm pretty sure that you'll want to seat the tyre on the

rim properly... or else.

Yeah, it's not major, just a little too high in one spot and it was a
rush job with no test ride. The tyres are sun-damaged and hard anyway. I
did eventually stop to check it out and it looked okay, so I continued.
Ride it until destruction is normal..

and the fact that no-one saw it. Bike was fine

They're the most important parts (unless it's a big stack when you
need someone to tell you what happened)

hippy

Old July 7th 04, 07:15 AM
flyingdutch

ritcho wrote:
Is that rim or tyre that exploded? I've heard of sidewalls popping over
the bead or failing, but a rim breaking is a pretty rare event. Kudos to
you if you wore your rim through!
Ritch

Rim split which i guess caused tube to explode. Tyre is remarkably OK

new wheel tonight. That'll make me MUCH faster, right?

Old July 7th 04, 08:15 AM
Graeme

ritcho wrote in news:zTLGc.43863$lb.4843
@fe47.usenetserver.com:

I'm happy to believe the rim was worn through, it just doesn't happen to
many people, that's all.

I've almost worn a rim right through. On my old Muddy Fox MTB, which I gave
about 10 years of abuse over nice gritty and muddy off road rides, the rims
ended up flaring out at about 20 degrees instead of more or less parallel.
Luckily I splashed out on a Cannondale MTB before anything unpleasant
happened.

Graeme
Old July 8th 04, 01:15 AM
hippy

Speaking of wearing stuff out.. who else got drenched last night?

http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/ Captain Soggy apologises for the wet
t-shirt competition.. Pulled some tricky moves tonight, squeezing
through nice gaps in traffic, all the while laughing at silly cars.. One
dopey idiot, driving with a mobile stuck to his ear, takes 5 minutes
(actual time: 5 seconds) to make a right turn and then proceeds to drive
20kph below the speed limit. Slowing cars down is one thing but slowing
bikes down! Screw this! I pass him (laughing) and then watch as another
car passes me somehow catching some rubbish underneath their car which
causes a shower of sparks over the tram tracks (and more laughing from
me). Raining now.. hard.. I'm soaked through again, my white t-shirt now
transparent, my white body scarring drivers for life. No brake pads left
front or back - emergency stop not an option. Make it home soggy, safe
and happy.

Can you tell the rain makes me mental?

Time: 1:05 (pretty bloody good!)

hippy

Old July 8th 04, 02:41 AM
HUMBUG

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 00:15:21 GMT, hippy Wrote :
Speaking of wearing stuff out.. who else got drenched last night?

Puts both hands up - very soggy and a flat for good measure. An insanely
enjoyable trip home. Headwind (only part of the way though), water,
stupid traffic, a puncture and if, like me, you wear glasses almost no
vision apart from starry coloured lights.

AND some of the dirt and road grime and **** got washed off the old grey
bike to be replaced by some BRAND NEW road grime and muck 'n ****. To
anyone else it may look like a dirty crappy old bike but at least I know
that the dirt is BRAND NEW...:-)

--

Humbug
Old July 8th 04, 06:47 PM
Graeme

hippy wrote in news:tm0Hc.6248$m21.1304
@fe14.usenetserver.com:

http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/

Hey Hippy, how come I always get "cannot find server" when I try to hit
your web site? The name doesn't resolve to any IP address but every other
address I use is fine.

Graeme
Old July 9th 04, 12:00 AM
flyingdutch

Graeme wrote:
hippy wrote in
news:tm0Hc.6248$m21.1304news:tm0Hc.6248$m21.1304 @fe14.usenetserver.com:
http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/http...y.net/nucleus/

Hey Hippy, how come I always get "cannot find server" when I try to hit
your web site? The name doesn't resolve to any IP address but every
other address I use is fine.
Graeme

if the url is broken over 2 lines you need to cut-n-paste all the bits
(delete the dash tho) to get it to work properly

Old July 9th 04, 01:08 AM
Graeme

flyingdutch wrote in
:

Graeme wrote:
hippy wrote in
@fe14.usenetserver.com:
http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/http...y.net/nucleus/

Hey Hippy, how come I always get "cannot find server" when I try to
hit your web site? The name doesn't resolve to any IP address but
every other address I use is fine.
Graeme

if the url is broken over 2 lines you need to cut-n-paste all the bits
(delete the dash tho) to get it to work properly

Thanks, but I'm not quite that much of a luser. Even www.hippy.net
doesn't work in the browser, but then again, as I said above, the host
name doesn't resolve to an IP address so I wouldn't expect it to.

Hippy, do you have a fixed IP address so I can add it to my local DNS?

Cheers,

Graeme
Old July 9th 04, 02:30 AM
hippy

Originally posted by Graeme Thanks, but I'm not quite that much of a
luser. Even www.hippy.net doesn't work in the browser, but then again,
as I said above, the host name doesn't resolve to an IP address so I
wouldn't expect it to.

It's THEhippy, not just hippy:

www.thehippy.net

There's nothing there yet (cept some old pages).

Blog: http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/ Gallery:
http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/

Hippy, do you have a fixed IP address so I can add it to my local DNS?

Um.. rumbles through toolkit ... grr stupid planetdomains.. try
"166.90.213.233".

I had trouble myself last week but I contacted tech support and since
then it has been working fine for me.

hippy

Old July 9th 04, 06:19 AM
Graeme

hippy wrote in news:xymHc.96756$T66.88030
@fe03.usenetserver.com:

It's THEhippy, not just hippy:

www.thehippy.net

Oops, just a typo in my post though. I had been trying the right one.

Um.. rumbles through toolkit ... grr stupid planetdomains.. try
"166.90.213.233".

No luck with that either. I'll have a fiddle around at my end later and see
if it something here.

Cheers,

Graeme

what to wear for commuting davek UK 16 July 19th 04 06:35 PM
Pollute to Work Week!! Cycle America General 22 June 2nd 04 10:47 PM
San Diego area commuting questions Noel Llopis General 2 May 12th 04 03:47 AM
_Rhymes_With_Orange_ (Week of 9-Feb): Is it bike week? Jym Dyer General 0 February 10th 04 04:13 PM