Is it just me, or...

Old July 7th 04, 02:44 AM
flyingdutch

Default Is it just me, or...

Is Phil Liggett's commentary getting a touch lame!

doesnt know riders names like he used to at a glance, stops halfway thru
sentences and loses what he was saying

Maybe i should apply. Anyone wanna be my 'straightman/woman' ?

Old July 7th 04, 03:10 AM
Bluenose

Yep ya right. I have to say that I really started to question Mr
Liggetts commentary after listening to him mispronouncing alot of the
towns in South Australia during the TDU.

It was truely shocking and inconsistant to say the least. Now you could
understand this if it was the first TDU but it's a little hard to
swallow 3rd time around.

Did anyone hear him say "manure countryside" during last nights TDF
highlights?!?! He then corrected himself. Can't remember to what though
cos I was still in shock. Maybe it was supposed to be demure
countryside....ah, doesn't madda.

cheers

Old July 7th 04, 03:15 AM
jazmo

Originally posted by flyingdutch Is Phil Liggett's commentary getting a
touch lame!

doesnt know riders names like he used to at a glance, stops halfway thru
sentences and loses what he was saying

Maybe i should apply. Anyone wanna be my 'straightman/woman' ? [/QUOTE

I think he's commentary is still good. I've noticed that he still
seems to have the ability to pick out riders based on build and riding
style. Himself and Paul Sherwen are a great team. Both correct each
other if the rider's name mentioned is incorrect and their commentary
is smooth and constant. They always seem to have something to say.
I've listened to some of the live broadcasts on the internet and find
this to be the case.

Compare this with the comentary on some of the spring classics we've
seen on SBS. That's very sporadic and short commentary which I don't
like as much.

I like their accents too.

Old July 7th 04, 03:15 AM
hippy

Originally posted by jazmo I've listened to some of the live broadcasts
on the internet and find this to be the case.

I tried OLNTV's website last night for its live audio broadcast, AFTER
the race had started and it was just some yank saying "Welcome to
OLNTV's live.. blah blah" over and over and over and over and over and
over and then I killed the feed.

What's the go with that?

hippy

Old July 7th 04, 03:15 AM
hippy

Originally posted by flyingdutch Is Phil Liggett's commentary getting a
touch lame!

Maybe, but better than most and cetainly better than me.

doesnt know riders names like he used to at a glance, stops halfway
thru sentences and loses what he was saying

Are you referring to the "2000 euros is equal to.. uh..", because that
looked more like the station just cut to a different part of the race.

Maybe i should apply. Anyone wanna be my 'straightman/woman' ?

I'd 'vote' for you as long as you got me into all the races as part of
the media 'photo crew' ;-)

hippy

Old July 7th 04, 03:15 AM
tonykara

hippy wrote:
Originally posted by jazmo I've listened to some of the live broadcasts
on the internet and find this to be the case.

I tried OLNTV's website last night for its live audio broadcast, AFTER
the race had started and it was just some yank saying "Welcome to
OLNTV's live.. blah blah" over and over and over and over and over and
over and then I killed the feed.
What's the go with that?
hippy

i wathced a couple of the classics on SBS, that french guy was shocking,
he only knew the french riders and everyone else was the cofidis rider
or the team CSC rider.........but his pronounciation of the french and
belgian names was exemplerary.

Old July 7th 04, 04:34 AM
Marty Wallace

.. .

--

Once again I have to agree with Hippy ( I hate agreeing with people) that
the edited version we get on SBS chops up the commentry a bit. In addition

Marty

Old July 7th 04, 05:52 AM
stu

"flyingdutch" wrote in message
Is Phil Liggett's commentary getting a touch lame!

doesnt know riders names like he used to at a glance, stops halfway thru
sentences and loses what he was saying

They were saying last night that there was a slight climb to the finish, and
that would be bad for the two riders off the front. I would have thought(and
I could be wrong) that the steeper the climb to the finish the better for
the guys out front.
am I right?

Old July 7th 04, 06:00 AM
flyingdutch

Marty Wallace wrote:
Once again I have to agree with Hippy ( I hate agreeing with people)
that the edited version we get on SBS chops up the commentry a bit. In
addition to that, you have to remember that Phil covers the last few
hours of the Tour (not just the 15 minutes or so that we get to see) and
it must be hard to concentrate for such long periods for weeks on end.
He also has to write commentry articles for magazines, newspapers and
websites as well as travelling all over France.
Marty

poor bugger!

my dig at him was compared to previous years' work. realise the coverage
is a hotch-potch but he does seem to trying to be the new Murray Walker,
nagging away at the same point which turns out to be wrong (boy, i'd
never do that!)

Old July 7th 04, 06:04 AM
Gemma Kernich

"flyingdutch" wrote in message
Is Phil Liggett's commentary getting a touch lame!

doesnt know riders names like he used to at a glance, stops halfway thru
sentences and loses what he was saying

Maybe i should apply. Anyone wanna be my 'straightman/woman' ?

I listened to the entire stage last night on OLN web, from the beginning
where I don't think they even knew they were broadcast (there was lots of
Liggett/Sherwin giggling and swearing and other voices in the background)
through to the presentation (and no I won't spoil it for those going to
watch tonight).
They are just brilliant to listen to for 3hrs plus, SBS chops it up into
nonsense. You don't realise how good they are till you just hear the
audio - I don't think I even need to watch tonight* really, they describe
things pretty well!

*Spoiler - except I will watch it, to see the big CRASH

Cheers
Gemma