Are all Campy freehub bodies the same

Old October 16th 05, 02:47 AM

Default Are all Campy freehub bodies the same

I managed to grind the bearings in my '96 9 spd record hub into a fine
paste.

Can I use any Campy 9/10 freehub body as a replacement?

Old October 16th 05, 05:19 PM

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

1997 freehub, the first year for 9s.
Cannot use a 'modern' from 1998-today 9/10s freehub body, must use a
1997 freehub body,

Ah. The story of my life. Thanks for the info.

Old October 16th 05, 05:32 PM
Jasper Janssen

On 16 Oct 2005 06:39:14 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
I managed to grind the bearings in my '96 9 spd record hub into a fine
paste.

Can I use any Campy 9/10 freehub body as a replacement?

1997 freehub, the first year for 9s.
Cannot use a 'modern' from 1998-today 9/10s freehub body, must use a
1997 freehub body, which we have for $95.

So... just out of curiosity, is that somehow more justified than the
occasional Shimano incompatibility between parts? From reading this group,
I truly do not get the impression that Shimano or Campa are all that far
apart in making new stuff incompatible with the old stuff.

Jasper
Old October 17th 05, 05:39 AM
Volker Leimann

Jasper Janssen schrieb:
On 16 Oct 2005 06:39:14 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"

I managed to grind the bearings in my '96 9 spd record hub into a fine
paste.

Can I use any Campy 9/10 freehub body as a replacement?

1997 freehub, the first year for 9s.
Cannot use a 'modern' from 1998-today 9/10s freehub body, must use a
1997 freehub body, which we have for $95.

So... just out of curiosity, is that somehow more justified than the
occasional Shimano incompatibility between parts? From reading this group,
I truly do not get the impression that Shimano or Campa are all that far
apart in making new stuff incompatible with the old stuff.

Jasper

Vice/Versa
The 8spd. (Exadrive) casettes fit on the freehub body of the rearhubs
Record, Chorus and Athena (the newer hubs with the alu. axles)

Old October 17th 05, 01:56 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 06:39:36 +0200, Volker Leimann
wrote:
Jasper Janssen schrieb:
On 16 Oct 2005 06:39:14 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"

I managed to grind the bearings in my '96 9 spd record hub into a fine
paste.

Can I use any Campy 9/10 freehub body as a replacement?

1997 freehub, the first year for 9s.
Cannot use a 'modern' from 1998-today 9/10s freehub body, must use a
1997 freehub body, which we have for $95.

So... just out of curiosity, is that somehow more justified than the
occasional Shimano incompatibility between parts? From reading this group,
I truly do not get the impression that Shimano or Campa are all that far
apart in making new stuff incompatible with the old stuff.

Vice/Versa
The 8spd. (Exadrive) casettes fit on the freehub body of the rearhubs
Record, Chorus and Athena (the newer hubs with the alu. axles)

On the other hand, the '04-'06 DA hub (but not the cassette) excepted, all
Shimano cassettes fit on all Shimano hubs, even if the freehub bodies
themselves are occasionally incompatible.

Jasper
Old October 17th 05, 01:58 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jasper Janssen wrote:
On 16 Oct 2005 06:39:14 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
I managed to grind the bearings in my '96 9 spd record hub into a fine
paste.

Can I use any Campy 9/10 freehub body as a replacement?

1997 freehub, the first year for 9s.
Cannot use a 'modern' from 1998-today 9/10s freehub body, must use a
1997 freehub body, which we have for $95.

So... just out of curiosity, is that somehow more justified than the
occasional Shimano incompatibility between parts? From reading this group,
I truly do not get the impression that Shimano or Campa are all that far
apart in making new stuff incompatible with the old stuff.

Jasper

Each freehub for shimano is different and oft-times not compatible with
each other. That way mostly since 1997 and intro of 9s...Cannot put a
9s ultegra freehub body onto a DA hub w/o changing cones, etc. At least
Campagnolo has the same freehub body for the top three hubs, has since
1999, and the same for the lower three, same since 1999....

Now you see a whole new compatibility issue for DA and 10s...hub part
wise. In a coupe of years, try to find a DA 9s freehub body...At least
Campagnolo 1997 9s freehub bodies are still being made, available from
Quality and others.

Old October 17th 05, 06:04 PM
Jasper Janssen

On 17 Oct 2005 05:58:19 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:

So... just out of curiosity, is that somehow more justified than the
occasional Shimano incompatibility between parts? From reading this group,
I truly do not get the impression that Shimano or Campa are all that far
apart in making new stuff incompatible with the old stuff.

Each freehub for shimano is different and oft-times not compatible with
each other. That way mostly since 1997 and intro of 9s...Cannot put a
9s ultegra freehub body onto a DA hub w/o changing cones, etc. At least
Campagnolo has the same freehub body for the top three hubs, has since
1999, and the same for the lower three, same since 1999....

My impression is that DA is, a lot of the time, not compatible with
anything whereas the rest is pretty much interchangeable, so that DA is
for those who want expensive crap they have to replace on a regular basis
and the rest of the stuff is for regular riders -- as opposed to Campy,
where Record means not only ultra-light high performance stuff but also
very durable stuff. Different philosophies clashing.

As far as the specific issue is concerned: AFAIK all the freehub bodies
are in fact identical (aside from the early, non-replaceable ones, Silent
Clutch, presumably some DA stuff, and the division 'tween 7 and 8+), but
the dustcap on them exists with three different internal sizes depending
on the external size of the cone. Dustcaps in all sizes are available from
various retailers.

Now you see a whole new compatibility issue for DA and 10s...hub part
wise. In a coupe of years, try to find a DA 9s freehub body...At least
Campagnolo 1997 9s freehub bodies are still being made, available from
Quality and others.

Hmm. Well, but why would you want a DA 9s freehub body, when by the time
it wears out the STIs have fallen apart as a signal it's time to move to
10s or 12s?

Jasper
Old October 18th 05, 01:32 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:

[...]

Bing, bing, bing, we have a winner....ohmygosh, we are agreeing on
something.

Jasper