What bike for college student?

Old July 20th 06, 02:14 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
RonSonic

Default What bike for college student?

On 19 Jul 2006 17:30:32 -0700, "Iain Dalton" wrote:

writes:

Used is good. For $400.00, you can get a pretty descent used ride.

My dad thinks I can find a bike for $100-150. Is he wrong?

How handy with tools are you. There are a world great old-school rigid fork
mountain bikes that you can get for $30-100, clean it up replace the chain,
brake pads and cables, put on some appropriate tires and you'll have as good or
better bike than that Raliegh.

I'd get a mtn bike tho, more durable. As for brand, Giant is the
best bang for the buck. KHS is also pretty descent.

I have ridden a Univega--a tour bike--for some time. Because it is
easier to ride, I prefer that kind of bike to mountain bikes. Do
those brands produce commute/road/tour (unsure of the difference)
bikes also?

An old-school road or touring bike would cost just a little more than the
mountain bike I was just talking about, $100 - 250. Depending on age and
condition need the same work.

See what you're asking of this bike is what bikes have been all about for over a
hundred years, so nearly anything will be adequate and almost any decent general
purpose sort of bike would be perfect. Don't get the skinniest tired race bike
or the big suspension mountain bike and you'll be fine.

Ron
Old July 20th 06, 02:16 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
RonSonic

On 19 Jul 2006 17:45:03 -0700, "Iain Dalton" wrote:

Tim McNamara writes:

You should be able to get a serviceable used road bike for $100 or less.

Less? Wow! I did not expect that.

It's going to be a commuter, sitting out in all weathers, etc?

When it's at home, I will shelter it, but at school, yes, the bike
racks are in the open.

Parked on campus where bike theft is fairly common?

I have a Kryptonite KryptoCable 14
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetisscripts/abtinetis.exe/PublicArticleDetails@public?artid=2711&atf=product s_item.
It provides moderate protection. I had not thought about security,
but I can always buy a better lock. As long as the bike isn't worth
$1000, thieves would probably go for bikes with easier locks.

Don't spend a lot of money on it. There are lots of bike shops in
that area, by reputation anyway, and you might be able to get
something used and tuned up and ready to go for a decent price,
maybe $200-250.

Earlier, you said I could buy a "serviceable" bike for =$100. How
much of a difference will I notice between a serviceable bike and a
$200-250 bike?

How much grease you get on yourself.

Ron
Old July 20th 06, 02:33 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
duh

Iain Dalton wrote:
"Sojourner" writes:

A hybrid makes a nice commuter, but if you're comfortable with the road
bike hunch, a touring bike would be fine as well.

I only know that I greatly prefer the tour bike I use (my mom's) to my
mountain bike (now smashed). What are the functional differences
between a road, commute, tour, and hybrid bike?

Or at least a road bike that can handle a rack and 40 or 50 lbs
loaded into your panniers.

I will test that when I consider a bike. Thank you.

I would suggest that the difference between a "serviceable" $100 bike
and a $200 - $250 bike from a bike shop (which has already been
serviced by the shop)

The cheapest road bike my local shop sells is $500. Do some shops
sell reasonable road bikes cheaper?

Try Craigslist.org

--
-------------------------
"Work like no one is watching,

\
=8{B
\
Old July 20th 06, 06:44 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Iain Dalton

RonSonic writes:

How much of a difference will I notice between a serviceable bike
and a $200-250 bike?

How much grease you get on yourself.

Is that when riding or when repairing?

P.S. I am going camping and will return Monday. I will read any new
posts then.

Old July 20th 06, 09:27 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
G.T.

"Iain Dalton" wrote in message
ups.com...
RonSonic writes:

How much of a difference will I notice between a serviceable bike
and a $200-250 bike?

How much grease you get on yourself.

Is that when riding or when repairing?

You're either a troll or humorless or both.

Greg

Old July 20th 06, 11:43 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
David P. Summers

Iain Dalton wrote:
"Sojourner" writes:

A hybrid makes a nice commuter, but if you're comfortable with the road
bike hunch, a touring bike would be fine as well.

I only know that I greatly prefer the tour bike I use (my mom's) to my
mountain bike (now smashed). What are the functional differences
between a road, commute, tour, and hybrid bike?

On road vs hybrid vs mountain, I think preference rules. The poster
should get the kind he feel most comforable on.

Old July 23rd 06, 04:55 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
SMS

Iain Dalton wrote:
I will bike about 3-5 miles to school each day, and the same distance
back. I will also bike most other places I go. I intend to do
without a car if at all possible. I live in Cupertino, CA, so I will
ride on flat roads. What are some models of bikes to consider?

My local bike shop recommends a Raleigh Route 1
http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?itemid=263, which is about $500
new. I would rather spend less, so I will buy a used bike. What
bikes should I seek? What does a bike need? What is a thrifty,
reasonable price?

I'd look at the Marin Kentfield, which REI Outlet is selling for $280.
They'll ship it to the store in San Jose (Saratoga) at no charge, and if
you don't like it you're not obligated to keep it.

Go to "http://www.rei.com/outlet/" and search for "Kentfield".

$500 is too much for a bicycle that's only going to be used as a commute
and errand bicycle.

Cupertino will have its garage sale in September and there are always a
lot of bikes for sale then, but maybe you can't wait that long.