What qualifies as a LONG ride?

Old December 27th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

Default What qualifies as a LONG ride?

I tend to take one big break for about a half hour or so to stop at a
restaurant or the like for a meal about half way through, other than
that its non stop riding.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)

Old December 27th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

Me on 24":

tiny: To end of road
medium: 1-2 km
long 5-8 km- the fearthest i've ever gone
ultra: 9 km +

--
thejdw

torkerdx wrote:
another bit of advice:
shut up and ride

some people get the concept, some don't

thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230

Old December 27th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

Age: 52
Years riding: ~3 since I started again.
Opinion: Over 10 miles is long, more than 20miles is great for those
who want to do it.
My personal range:
Tiny: Under 1 mile
Short: 5 mile
Medium: 7 mile
Long: 10 mile
Ultra: 20+ mile I have never done more than 12 miles.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken ... a recreational unicyclist... Please wear a helmet!
Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

Old December 27th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

David_Stone wrote:
...What makes a LONG ride? ..

I've never done more than low 20's in mileage, always on the stock
Radial 360. I can maintain 10mph with casual effort over this
distance. I'd like to get a block of time and crack 30 miles. The
time seems to be the determining factor. The '2hr MTN bike race'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/xmas_eve_2006/) I just did left me
MUCH more tired than any 20 mile road ride I've ever done. I think 30
miles would be no sweat (well, some sweat).

Improvements since my last 20 miler:
- 'handlebars'
- 'new KH seat with the groove'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=952), (much more
comfortable for my taint and doesn't cause peeing to hurt).
- 'a pair of 125s from UDC'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=793) (haven't
installed these yet - soon I hope)

Age: 44
Years riding: 2.5
Tiny: 2
Short: 5-10
Medium: 10-20
Long: 30+
Ultra: I need two back-to-back 70km rides to qualify for the Lobster'08
race. I also would like to do a metric and imperial century.

--
steveyo

steveyo

...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

Old December 27th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

I never consider distance as a measure of how long a ride is because it
is so variable.

Age: 28
Years riding 6
Short: less than 1hr
Medium: 1-4hrs
Long: 4+ hours.
Ultra: 8+ hours

--
GizmoDuck

'The SINZ Unitour 2007' (http://www.sinzuni.org)...Give in to your SINZ,
join us down under!
'The Laos Unicycle Tour 2006' (http://www.laosunitour.org)....An
Adventure of Epic Proportions
The Monguni Tour 2008....catchy slogan pending
The Unifice 2009....Fire & Ice, One-Wheel Sacrifice
The SISININZ Unitour 2010....How to get a sore butt

Old December 27th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

GizmoDuck wrote:
I never consider distance as a measure of how long a ride is because it
is so variable.

Age: 28
Years riding 6
Short: less than 1hr
Medium: 1-4hrs
Long: 4+ hours.
Ultra: 8+ hours

This is a good measure for variable amounts of climbing on road rides,
but hour-for-hour Muni is MUCH more tiring than road riding, no?

Old December 28th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Age: 17
Years riding: 4, Seriously for the last 7-8 months.
Short: 25 miles
Medium: 50 miles
Long: 100 miles
Ultra: 100+ miles.

I plan to do a ultra ride, and long rides. So far, all my rides go from
a few miles, to 50-60 miles for a day of riding. On my trials I can
ride easily 10 - 15 miles with no soreness. Once I have gone around 20
on it, it gets to be painstakingly boring.

On my coker, I can go forever without getting sore or tired. I just use
an old, fat KH seat. No modifications to it, and just the regular
handle on it. I hop on it and just go for miles and turn around once
it gets dark. Longest was right above 50 miles.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/) New Uni =
Blue Sex!

Old December 28th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
David_Stone

GizmoDuck wrote:
I never consider distance as a measure of how long a ride is because it
is so variable.

Age: 28
Years riding 6
Short: less than 1hr
Medium: 1-4hrs
Long: 4+ hours.
Ultra: 8+ hours

You make a good point, Ken. However, no one, realistically, would ride
a 20" uni for 8 hrs! Generally most of us thinking about long rides are
on a 29" uni or larger, geared or otherwise.

I noticed that many "new" riders find that rides of just a few miles
are tiring. Of course, a lot of their difficulty is related to
technique (I can't ride an ultimate wheel longer than a few hundred
yards without getting exhausted bc my technique sucks) as well as to
muscular conditioning.

You ride a lot faster than almost anyone, Ken, so it's a good point
that distance is not the best comparison measure. I ride pretty fast,
too, so I could revise my list as follows:
Short: less than an hour
Medium: 1-3 hrs
Long: 3-7 hrs
Ultra: 7-12 (my longest rides took 12 hrs, with about 3 hrs in breaks)

But yeah, the whole idea of quantifying rides is pretty silly.

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
David_Stone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3834

Old December 28th 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

David_Stone wrote:
You make a good point, Ken. However, no one, realistically, would ride a
20" uni for 8 hrs!

I have!!! Sometimes longer, my rides can consist of riding my trials
from my house, to everybody else's house to pick them up, ride the few
miles downtown, and ride there for hours, then riding back and hitting
spots all along the way. =p

Old December 28th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomtrevor

I have never really done a long ride on a unicycle. My longest being
22km on a 20", though I have done a lot longer on a 24", I have just
never figured out the length. If I was using a 29" or a coker I would
say:

Age:16
Years riding: 1
Tiny: 0 - 5km
Small: 5 - 15km
Medium: 15 - 40km
Large: 40 - 80km
Ultra: 80+

--
tomtrevor

01010100 01101111 01101101 00100000 01010100 01110010 01100101
01110110 01101111 01110010
'KEEPIN' IT WHEEL' (www.mediahug.com/bikes)
WHEEL WALK ON WATER

BLUEGREENORANGEBLACKPURPLEREDWHITEYELLOW
Juggling: If you wanna keep 3 things of the ground put them on a
shelf.
'g' (http://www.google.com.au/)'o' (http://www.google.com.br/)'o'
(http://www.google.co.uk/)'g' (http://www.google.com.ni/)'l'
(http://www.google.to/)'i' (http://www.google.ch/)'n'
(http://www.google.com.mt/)'g' (http://www.google.com.na/)'s'
(http://www.google.rw/)'!'
(http://www.google.com.do/)'t'
(http://mediahug.com/bikes/?page_id=26)'o'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread)'m'
(http://www.funnyjunk.com/)''s'
(http://www.freelineskates.com/) 'R'
(http://www.tlb.org/Park-all.lowbw.mpg)'a'
(http://www.burntfaceman.com/)'n'
(http://www.adcott.net/binary/)'d'
(http://tinyurl.com/c1as)'o'
(http://www.cheese.com)'m'
(http://www.coverpop.com/whitney/index.php?var=v0)
'L'
(http://www.mediahug.com/bikes/)'i'
(http://www.virtualgravy.com/)'n'
(http://www.mediahug.com/almax/)'k'
(http://www.cheaphumor.com/)'a'
(http://www.bakedbeans.com)'g'
(http://www.joecartoon.com/)e's'
(http://www.break.com/)
tomtrevor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12118

Ride Report ( Long) - Children's Cancer Institute Bike Ride - Townsville to Cairns HughMann Australia 2 August 7th 05 04:08 AM
long ride habbywall Unicycling 8 July 3rd 05 03:52 PM
Ride report - the Dragon Ride (long) Richard Goodman UK 9 June 24th 05 07:26 PM
First long (ish) ride... rabbidous Unicycling 3 April 5th 04 12:58 PM
First long ride on my new bike (long) David Kerber General 17 November 26th 03 12:59 PM