Recommendation for an air pump, etc.

Old May 17th 04, 02:29 AM
NoSpamForMe

Default Recommendation for an air pump, etc.

I'm the guy who bought the Trek 7200 last fall, and some of you folks were
kind enough then to offer suggestions on how to take care of it (which I'm
trying to follow).

Well now I have another question or two.....

I was enjoying the nice weather today and went for a bikeride when, about
7.5 miles from home happily pedaling in an impressively high gear along on a
country road out in the great outdoors [e.g., between two towns, nothing
around], my back tire suddenly started making an unhappy thumping sort of
noise and I stopped as soon as it was safe to see what was going on. Well,
you no doubt figured it out already ---- the tire had gone flat. Lacking
any better alternatives (see below), I simply turned around and walked the
bike all the way home whereupon I arrived about 2 hrs. later. Now no big
deal, I got to work on my suntan in the fresh air and get some exercise in
nonetheless. But it wasn't exactly what I had planned for the afternoon
:-(

So here's the question[s]....clearly I should have some sort of pump
(Schrader fitting) and replacement tube (along with a pair of tire levers)
along when I ride any sort of significant distance. What really hit home is
that yesterday I rode about 25 miles roundtrip in similarly rural territory,
and that would've been a ***long walk*** if the air had gone its own way at
the wrong place in space & time :-(

(1) Without starting a religious war possibly rivaled only by whether to
wear a h*lmet or not (yes I do, my wife makes me :-), what sort of
pump ---please be specific if possible--- would be a good choice for me ?
Unlike most of you fellows, and as you can tell from my choice of bike, I'm
more of an after-work & weekend recreational cyclist as opposed to a serious
enthusiast so a hand-tooled $500 titanium alloy atomic-powered
microprocessor controlled unit is probably a bit of overkill (just kidding,
but you get the idea). On the other hand, I just don't want to be at the
mercy of the clerk at local sporting goods store or LBS (nothing against
LBS, that's where I bought my bike) and end up with some piece of junk that
let's me down when I need it. Within reason, $$ is not a particular concern
as long as it's appropriate to my needs and worth it.

(1a) Any pros or cons to the muscle-powered hand pump variety vs. CO2
cartridge thingys ?

(1b) Any comments on best practices when attaching pump to frame ?

(2) Where is a good place to carry a spare tube & the tire levers ? In one
of those little bags under the seat ? (I looked at some of those, and
wasn't real impressed but it was just an informal survey at one of the
big-box sporting goods stores. Don't worry --- I didn't buy anything !).
Any suggestions for a decent bag ? How does one attach it to the bike ?

(3) Is it also worth carrying one of those patch kits with me if I have a
spare tube ? (I suspect yes in case lightning strikes twice or I get the
chance to help someone else out along the way who is as ill prepared as I
was today !)

Will watch newsgroup for replies.

Seriously, thanks very much for sharing your insights & expertise with this
somewhat mid-life beginner.

Old May 17th 04, 02:56 AM
steve

You just need a pump that will fill your tire with air. For 5 bucks
plus shipping you can get this nice pump, comes with a great holder
that goes on your water bottle braze-ons.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=18499

Really. Any more than this is overkill. (IMHO)

Steve

Old May 17th 04, 05:35 AM
Christopher Brian Colohan

"NoSpamForMe" writes:
(1a) Any pros or cons to the muscle-powered hand pump variety vs. CO2
cartridge thingys ?

What I was told by my LBS: Don't bother with CO2. The main problem is
that you only get one chance to get it right -- if you miss a thorn in
your tire and get a second flat, you are out of luck, since they only
hold enough air for one inflation. Also, the cartridges are not that
cheap. With a patch kit and a pump, you can always just apply another
patch and pump it back up to get home...

I am told that CO2 is only really worth it when you are racing, and if
your first repair doesn't work you are out of the race anyways.

(2) Where is a good place to carry a spare tube & the tire levers ? In one
of those little bags under the seat ?

Works for me...

(3) Is it also worth carrying one of those patch kits with me if I have a
spare tube ? (I suspect yes in case lightning strikes twice or I get the
chance to help someone else out along the way who is as ill prepared as I
was today !)

Yeah, you can get Park Super Patch kits which are about the size of 4
quarters -- they take no room at all, and weigh almost nothing.

Chris
--
Chris Colohan Email: PGP: finger
Web:
Old May 17th 04, 05:38 AM
daveornee

Nospamforme wrote:
[...]
(8) Without starting a religious war possibly rivaled only by whether
[...]
(9) Where is a good place to carry a spare tube & the tire levers ? In
one of those little bags under the seat ? (I looked at some of
those, and wasn't real impressed but it was just an informal survey
at one of the big- box sporting goods stores. Don't worry --- I
didn't buy anything !). Any suggestions for a decent bag ? How does
one attach it to the bike ?
(10) Is it also worth carrying one of those patch kits with me if I have
a spare tube ? (I suspect yes in case lightning strikes twice or I
get the chance to help someone else out along the way who is as ill
prepared as I was today !)
Will watch newsgroup for replies.
Seriously, thanks very much for sharing your insights & expertise with
this somewhat mid-life beginner.

I like Topeak products. They are well built and have a good
understanding of what is really needed when you are on the road. They
are not cheap... but you can decide the value.

Pump = :

http://www.topeak.com/2004/products/pump_012.html

Survival Tool Wedge = :

http://www.topeak.com/2004/products/bag_015.html

Spare inner tube in a zip-lock baggy with a little talc goes inside the
wedge as well. Might be room for a energy bar, cell phone, and first
aid items.

If you really are in hurry and want to deal with CO2 then I suggest you
look into Innovations Ultraflate Pro. If you have a tough ride and get 2
or more flats, you will need to decide the risks and costs of more tubes
or a Rema patch kit. (yes there are road hazards out there that can get
you 2 flats at one time)

Old May 17th 04, 06:20 AM
Q.

"daveornee" wrote in message
snip
I like Topeak products. They are well built and have a good
understanding of what is really needed when you are on the road. They
are not cheap... but you can decide the value.

Pump = :

http://www.topeak.com/2004/products/pump_012.html

I second that. I have one and it works great ... the only (minor) complaint
is that the mounting bracket seems a little week and doesn't hold the pump
to the bike as securely as I want. An additional $1 Velcro strap took care
of that though.

C.Q.C.

Old May 17th 04, 01:21 PM
Vincent Wilcox

NoSpamForMe wrote:
what sort of
pump ---please be specific if possible--- would be a good choice for me ?
Unlike most of you fellows, and as you can tell from my choice of bike, I'm
more of an after-work & weekend recreational cyclist as opposed to a serious
enthusiast so a hand-tooled $500 titanium alloy atomic-powered
microprocessor controlled unit is probably a bit of overkill (just kidding,
but you get the idea). On the other hand, I just don't want to be at the
mercy of the clerk at local sporting goods store or LBS (nothing against
LBS, that's where I bought my bike) and end up with some piece of junk that
let's me down when I need it. Within reason, $$ is not a particular concern
as long as it's appropriate to my needs and worth it.

This is a very good pump IMO:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...284&Store=Bike

Don't waste your time with mini-pumps they are about as much use as an
ashtray on a bike IME.

A spare tube, tyre levers and a patch kit in an under saddle bag is also
a good idea.
Old May 17th 04, 05:27 PM
Paul Kopit

Flatting is part of riding. Learning to change out a flatted tire is
a skill that is needed just like learning to corner the bicycle.

If you want to minimize what you carry with you on about town rides, a
tube and CO2 cartridge will do. It's not really so difficult to learn
how to get tires off and on without tools. If you need a tool, a
single tire plastic will do. If you are going into the boonies, a 2nd
tube, a patch kit with a boot, and a pump would be more prudent.
Old May 17th 04, 06:14 PM
Zog The Undeniable

NoSpamForMe wrote:

[...]

The Zefal hpx is the Lord of all Pumps, and will fit under the top tube
if you have a pump peg (pumps generally come in sizes 1,2,3 and 4 - get
the right one!).

I confess to carrying a CO2 canister on my racing bike, but I haven't
had a puncture for over 10 years - except for those occasions where the
tube perishes round the valve and the tyre goes flat when the bike is in
the garage. I'm getting good at avoiding road debris, and modern tyres
are pretty resistant. CO2 canisters work on fat low pressure tyres or
narrow high pressure tyres. On fat high pressure tyres - like S-Licks
or Fat Boys - you won't get enough gas in, and the rim will hit the road
occasionally when you go over a bump. I've been there.

I carry a spare tube and levers in my jersey pocket or in the rack pack,
if I'm on the touring bike. They take up little space. I should carry
a patch kit but (a) my puncture record suggests the chances of me
needing it on a day ride are vanishingly small and (b) my bike fits in
the back of my wife's car, although I would probably have to do penance
in the garden/kitchen for weeks to make up for calling her out!
Old May 18th 04, 01:06 AM
Vincent Wilcox

Paul Kopit wrote:
Flatting is part of riding. Learning to change out a flatted tire is
a skill that is needed just like learning to corner the bicycle.

I always leave my bicycle in the corner.

If you want to minimize what you carry with you on about town rides, a
tube and CO2 cartridge will do. It's not really so difficult to learn
how to get tires off and on without tools. If you need a tool, a
single tire plastic will do. If you are going into the boonies, a 2nd
tube, a patch kit with a boot, and a pump would be more prudent.

When you get TdF feelings maybe, but a decent pump will out
blow any CO2 solution, its all in the wrist.

Old May 18th 04, 04:20 AM
Martin Törnsten

Captain's log. On StarDate Mon, 17 May 2004 01:29:06 GMT received comm from
"NoSpamForMe" on channel rec.bicycles.tech:

: (1) Without starting a religious war possibly rivaled only by whether to
: wear a h*lmet or not (yes I do, my wife makes me :-), what sort of
: pump ---please be specific if possible--- would be a good choice for me ?

For home: get a good track pump (I like the classic steel/wood SKS pump):
http://www.sks-germany.com/en/stage....te=2&star t=3

To bring: personally I like "mini versions" of track pumps, with a short hose:
http://www.topeak.com/2004/products/pump_011.html

: (1a) Any pros or cons to the muscle-powered hand pump variety vs. CO2
: cartridge thingys ?

I have a CO2 inflator (it's so small and light that you never leave without it):
http://www.innovationsaz.com/INmain....Category=power

: (1b) Any comments on best practices when attaching pump to frame ?

The Topeak mount who comes with the (otherwise excellent) Morph isn't very good.
I will personally get some straps to be able to securely put it on the frame. I
have ordered this from Nashbar (but they have problems with their support as
they don't reply to any of the email I send them regarding my missing order):
http://www.nashbar.com/profile_morei...= 2258&brand=

: (2) Where is a good place to carry a spare tube & the tire levers ? In one
: of those little bags under the seat ? (I looked at some of those, and
: wasn't real impressed but it was just an informal survey at one of the
: big-box sporting goods stores. Don't worry --- I didn't buy anything !).
: Any suggestions for a decent bag ? How does one attach it to the bike ?

I like to have it small and neat, so I favor this bag in the Micro size:
http://www.topeak.com/2004/products/bag_003.html

: (3) Is it also worth carrying one of those patch kits with me if I have a
: spare tube ? (I suspect yes in case lightning strikes twice or I get the
: chance to help someone else out along the way who is as ill prepared as I
: was today !)

Yes, it's a very cheap addition.

In the above micro wedge bag I have:

1 new and fresh spare tube
1 patch kit (just in case)
2 tire levers (Michelin classic yellow plastic levers)
1 multi tool, including as chain tool (Topeak Power 16)
3-4 separate Allen wrenches (easier to use than some in the multi tool)
1 CO2 inflator (the above Air Chuck from Innovations In Cycling)
2 CO2 cartridges
1 brass converter from Schrader to Presta (handy if I stop by a gas station)
1 tiny map over my part of the country (more or less one carefully folded page)
some extra cash (just in case)
my home keys

Highly recommended and takes up very little space on the bike!

Best regards,

martin törnsten

--
http://82.182.73.126/