Why do some cyclists overtake on the left?

Old August 16th 12, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

Default Why do some cyclists overtake on the left?

The Highway Code 163 says:

++ Only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn
right, and there is room to do so
++ Stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on
your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left

If you can legally pass on the right, why not do that instead of overtaking
on the left of vehicles? Am I missing something?

Old August 16th 12, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bill

On 16/08/2012 14:14, John Benn wrote:
The Highway Code 163 says:

If the queue
on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left

You have published the answer. Please learn to read.

Old August 16th 12, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

"Bill" wrote in message
On 16/08/2012 14:14, John Benn wrote:
The Highway Code 163 says:

If the queue
on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the
left

You have published the answer. Please learn to read.

Why not overtake on the right? You are more likely to be seen by a driver
by passing on the right. There are generally fewer blind spots to the right
of vehicles because of the position of the driver.

Old August 16th 12, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

"John Benn" wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message
On 16/08/2012 14:14, John Benn wrote:
The Highway Code 163 says:

If the queue
on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the
left

You have published the answer. Please learn to read.

Why not overtake on the right? You are more likely to be seen by a driver
by passing on the right. There are generally fewer blind spots to the
right of vehicles because of the position of the driver.

This topic is being discussed in the censored, err. moderated group at the
moment but posts are being deliberately delayed so much that it's pretty
much unusable unless you are on the whitelist.

Old August 16th 12, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

"Jolly polly" wrote in message

"John Benn" wrote in message
"John Benn" wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message
On 16/08/2012 14:14, John Benn wrote:
The Highway Code 163 says:

If the queue
on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the
left

You have published the answer. Please learn to read.

Why not overtake on the right? You are more likely to be seen by a
driver by passing on the right. There are generally fewer blind spots to
the right of vehicles because of the position of the driver.

This topic is being discussed in the censored, err. moderated group at
the moment but posts are being deliberately delayed so much that it's
pretty much unusable unless you are on the whitelist.

whitelist?

Or white list - a list of people who get their posts auto-approved. Having
a chiark email address guarantees being on the white list.

Old August 16th 12, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly polly

"John Benn" wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message
On 16/08/2012 14:14, John Benn wrote:
The Highway Code 163 says:

If the queue
on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the
left

You have published the answer. Please learn to read.

Why not overtake on the right? You are more likely to be seen by a driver
by passing on the right. There are generally fewer blind spots to the
right of vehicles because of the position of the driver.

I do sometimes overtake motor vehicles on there right, in order to do so you
must 'take the lane' this is often not appreciated by all the motorists,
most also do not leave enough room between themselves and the vehicle in
front for an overtake on the right side.
As many cyclists do not wish to hinder the progress of a motor vehicle they
will usually stay to the left of a lane, even when overtaking.

I disagree about the blind spots, the obstructions like roof pillars are
closer to the drivers head on the right, so hide a greater amount of
whatever maybe there.

Old August 16th 12, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly polly

"John Benn" wrote in message
"John Benn" wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message
On 16/08/2012 14:14, John Benn wrote:
The Highway Code 163 says:

If the queue
on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the
left

You have published the answer. Please learn to read.

Why not overtake on the right? You are more likely to be seen by a
driver by passing on the right. There are generally fewer blind spots
to the right of vehicles because of the position of the driver.

This topic is being discussed in the censored, err. moderated group at
the moment but posts are being deliberately delayed so much that it's
pretty much unusable unless you are on the whitelist.

whitelist?

Or white list - a list of people who get their posts auto-approved.
Having a chiark email address guarantees being on the white list.

mmm I've posed many times there in the past and very rarely has a post
appeared, so I've given up that group. I didn't know anything about a
whitelist

Old August 16th 12, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

"John Benn" wrote in message
"John Benn" wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

If you look in the moderation queue, you'll see some people get their posts
auto-approved. They stay on the white list until they start to say things
that the moderators disagree with. If you're not on the whitelist, it can
take a day or more for your post to appear.

Old August 16th 12, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Aug 16, 2:14*pm, "John Benn" wrote:
The Highway Code 163 says:

++ Only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn
right, and there is room to do so

Does it really? Does that tome specify what constitutes
"signalling". AIUI, advised by local traffic cop, position on the
road is sufficient to indicate intentions, at least for him.
IIRC it is aknowledged by govt documents that even the position
within a lane may give sufficient indication of intention. My
recognition of this has saved me many a collision with taxis. It's
generally easy to spot on a motorway, drivers move to the edge of the
lane to get a good look in their mirrors before moving out.
Unfortunately they sometimes forget to see that the lane is clear for
an appropriate distance, they just do not see and move out without
using trafficator or hand signal, because there was, in their mind, no-
one there.
Oh, by the way, that traffic cop had been following me without lights
at night, so I didn't see him. There was no need for me to make a
specific signal and he knew it because he was acting illegally. He
did not appreciate me crossing the hazard line, but seeing as there
was no other observable road users his opinion was nonsense, no legal
user of the road suffered any inconvenience.

++ Stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on
your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left

First rule of the road, keep left when in the vicinity of other road
users unless conditions or intention dictate otherwise.

If a road user is not keeping left, he should be turning right, is
intending to overtake or some other nonsense.

If you can legally pass on the right, why not do that instead of overtaking
on the left of vehicles? *Am I missing something?

I think you probably are. You keep asking these questions time and
time again and I don't know why, if you are an active vehicular road-
user, that you do not see these situations where conditions dictate
that one can only pass on the left.