Discs

Old November 17th 17, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Discs

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 11:47:23 PM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
Why do they have holes in them?

Car discs don't, motorbike discs don't, aircraft discs don't. Why do
bicycle discs have them?

drill holes collect material melt for new ...cost effective

balance

heat dissipation more holes more surface area.

the manufacturer takes a thermal picture of his hot rotor then drills there n another hole over there to balance. Ceramic disc may avoid thermal hot spotting or boundaries

Harris Allen has info with an interesting NE obs on road bikes

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/disc-brakes.html
Old November 17th 17, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 6:43:23 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/16/2017 12:47 AM, Tosspot wrote:
Why do they have holes in them?

Car discs don't, motorbike discs don't, aircraft discs
don't. Why do bicycle discs have them?

Many do have slots or holes. Typical low-end auto discs have
a center air channel. Our researcher discovered this by
completely ignoring normal maintenance:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/NRCTDISC.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

when there's a brake tug on the front end ...hearing is at aloss with closed windows ...then the brake is inspected with an LED thru slots in the disc...check with Goo Images

I cured one-two with a direct spraying at the car wash..last removing a tick tick not herd thru a closed ac window pass side... accidently pulled into the pressure manure wagon spray hold

when in doubt get down turn wheels spray both sides .. same for bike ? spray first ask later
Old November 17th 17, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, November 17, 2017 at 12:42:42 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

goo.gl/j6Dzkj

the xtreme wavy cut has my curiosity but not found here. saw it hard to track a circle on that.
Old November 18th 17, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-11-16 17:05, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 16:23:34 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-11-16 16:09, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 15:28:13 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-11-16 13:21, Tosspot wrote:
On 16/11/17 20:38, David Scheidt wrote:
Tosspot wrote:
:Why do they have holes in them?

:Car discs don't, motorbike discs don't, aircraft discs don't. Why do
:bicycle discs have them?

Lots of high-performance car brake rotors are drilled or slotted.
Slotting is more common on better stuff, holes can crack. They serve
a couple of features. One, people think they're cool. two, they
allow the gasses that come off brake pads somewhere to go (this is a
non-issue with modern pads, but it was a problem in the dark ages).
Three, they give water somewhere to go. Four, they improve cooling
(increase surface area). five, the clean pads, and reduce wear.

Gasses off a bicycle pad? Really?

Nobody drills rims, and most[1] motorbikes, which are exposed to the
rain don't.

Because 75 kg of me at 30 kph is the same KE as 160 kph Audi at 1.5
tonnes? Nah.

Hmmm...could it be it helps to clean them? They aren't dissipating the
KE, so they don't get Eeek! hot. But surely the crud would build up in
the holes?

I'm going to order a solid one for the front and fit it in the spring
and see if it makes any difference.

If you find a place (in the US or China) that sells solid 8" or 203mm
rotors please let us know.

https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Guide-Ul.../dp/B00XAY7CYK
or
http://www.jensonusa.com/SRAM-Guide-...te-Disc-Brake/
The SRAM brake Ultimate Brake with 950mm front discs and 1,800 rear
discs.

Quote "ROTOR SIZES: 140, 160, 170, 180, 200mm"

I've got that already. It's not solid rotors.

I assume these are for the "go fast people".

What's so special about this stuff other than very high prices?

Good Lord! It is made by SRAM and everyone knows that they build super
stuff. Some of which is even used on TdeF racing bicycles :-)

Oh, yes, right. We must bow down deeply and I should never complain
about having to pay 10x or more than my current solution. Another
confession. I use $10 T-shirts on all my rides instead of $100
technicolor Spandex.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 18th 17, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Tosspot wrote:
[...]

$10 is a lot of for a t-shirt! You can get them bulk for $1.59. http://www..shirtmax.com/adult-100-c...z-t-shirt.html Personally, I wear discarded paper surgical gowns or whatever I find in the dumpsters. My rain gear is made of trash bags -- and I steal the plastic newspaper bags for booties. This stuff works ten times better than fancy t-shirts! Check out my new ride: https://tinyurl.com/y84pzagm

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 18th 17, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tosspot wrote:
[...]

$10 is a lot of for a t-shirt! You can get them bulk for $1.59. http://www.shirtmax.com/adult-100-co...z-t-shirt.html Personally, I wear discarded paper surgical gowns or whatever I find in the dumpsters. My rain gear is made of trash bags -- and I steal the plastic newspaper bags for booties. This stuff works ten times better than fancy t-shirts! Check out my new ride: https://tinyurl.com/y84pzagm

You missed the African free t-shirt deal:
http://images.mentalfloss.com/blogs/...bowl-bears.jpg

Somebody's gotta win, somebody's gotta lose. Every year.

Old November 18th 17, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Tosspot wrote:
[...]

"Sport Grey are 90% cotton, 10% polyester" ... polyester is no good for
me. I also found that the collars on cheaper T-shirts give up faster and
that looks yucky. And my Costa Rica T-shirt looks nicer anyhow,
especially with mud splatters on there.

Personally, I wear discarded paper surgical gowns or whatever I find
in the dumpsters. My rain gear is made of trash bags -- and I steal
the plastic newspaper bags for booties. This stuff works ten times
better than fancy t-shirts! Check out my new ride:
https://tinyurl.com/y84pzagm

A dynamo without lights. Now what does that feed? The wrath of big
brother can come down upon this rider.

You missed the African free t-shirt deal:
http://images.mentalfloss.com/blogs/...bowl-bears.jpg

Somebody's gotta win, somebody's gotta lose. Every year.

You need to ride faster in order not to lose, can be achieved with extra
low drops.

http://bostonbikeparty.com/wp-conten...0/skeleton.jpg

Old November 18th 17, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tosspot wrote:
[...]

For events such as World Series, World Cup, Super Bowl etc
shirt vendors order large quantities of printed merchandise
with both teams. The loser brand merchandise is donated for
a charitable contribution and the charitable contribution
tax deduction. Hence the photo in Africa. I learned about
this only yesterday afternoon.

Old November 18th 17, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tosspot wrote:
[...]

goo.gl/DsdKq5

REI GARAGE HAS A SALE best if you have an REI card. Last year REI coughed up 300 in freebies to my end.

also search 'technical' fabric

product n specs now show distinct advert to actual spec conditions eg walking uphill temperate climate, walking up hill cool climate ....so you can at least start on accurate layering. There's a place for Wal's new cheapo lines (alaways search hi to low with deep filtering then back off on that) in temperate low energy low humidity breezy. Wal is uncomfort eg Florida. SHP n Tactical from cop shops are AAA but expensive n not colorful. J must receive knowledge I bought 3 new Fla winter T's from the garage. Beware.

comfort supports concentration, discipline, energy output n bussavoid
Old November 18th 17, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

: wrote:
: On 2017-11-16 17:05, John B. wrote:
: On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 16:23:34 -0800, Joerg
:
: wrote:
:
: wrote:
:
: Tosspot wrote:
[...]

The stuff is mostly destroyed, as even people in africa won't wear
stuff that says the Dodgers won a world series.

--
sig 54

Vented Discs Ben C Recumbent Biking 35 June 29th 09 02:26 AM
Cable discs Tim Hall UK 13 June 18th 09 11:56 PM
Rollo-Discs Unisykolist Unicycling 5 December 5th 08 02:34 AM
discs vs V brakes ODB Australia 31 October 23rd 06 08:37 AM
new to discs - squeeky when wet ! Steve Walton UK 6 November 21st 04 02:46 PM