post your homemade handlebars here!

Old December 17th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

Default post your homemade handlebars here!

Heres the first set of bars I had on Florian Green. The intent was to
have close grips for mounting and slow speeds, as well as multiple
forward positions for speed work.

|Filename: FlorianGreen.v2.bars3.jpg |

unisk8r
Old December 17th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
naturequack

I tried out unisk8r's handlebars above. I agree that having something
to grab on to closer to the seat would be nice. Especially for hill
climbing. The draw back with these bars is that they are a little bit
wide, and my thighs ended up banging into the ends. I've toyed with
mounting those bar end grips on the existing handlebars (see above post
from 12/11/08) so that I could grab a little closer to the seat. It
would require welding some mounts. But I've found that if I grab on to
the joint between the aero bar and the "T" stem (right where the brake
is mounted) then that's close enough. I'm not sure if the bar end grips
would be worth their extra weight. If I didn't have to weld mounts then
I'm sure I would have found out by now.
After trying several different configurations I've settled on the
configuration from the 12/11/08 post. I'm pretty happy with them as
they are right now.

Geoff

--
naturequack

monocycle monstrosity
Old December 17th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

unisk8r;1151852 wrote:
Heres the first set of bars I had on Florian Green. The intent was to
have close grips for mounting and slow speeds, as well as multiple
forward positions for speed work.

That's sweet! do you you have more pictures? I may want to replicate
that style. What is it made of? Where did you get the pieces from?

corbin

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
Old December 17th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

naturequack;1151879 wrote:
I tried out unisk8r's handlebars above. I agree that having something
to grab on to closer to the seat would be nice. Especially for hill
climbing.

Geoff

That is exactly why I added the "power grips" to my handlebar.

[image:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/__BOtF5aRKQc/R7.../IMG_7291.jpg]

corbin

Old December 17th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brycer1968

unisk8r;1151852 wrote:
Heres the first set of bars I had on Florian Green. The intent was to
have close grips for mounting and slow speeds, as well as multiple
forward positions for speed work.

Pete: Do you find that you want elbow/arm pads like on aero bars when
you are in the most forward position? Any pics of you/someonw riding
this set-up reclined out over the long bars?
Brycer1968

--
brycer1968
Old December 19th 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

corbin: those are just cut-up pieces of 7/8" alloy drop handlebars,
re-welded (by TIG) into the shapes and lengths I wanted to try.

brycer1968: I have tried mounting elbow aero pads (the folding type
that fold up when not in use). They make it more difficult to ride,
because your hand input is "diffused" by the weight on your arms. I
think with alot of practice (no worse than anything else in unicycling)
the aero pads would be useful for road rides, but that would involve
learning to input on the bars with your whole arms, not just your hands.
Hands alone allow more defined and subtle inputs on the handlebars.
Hope that explanation helps!

--
unisk8r
Old December 19th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

Me on Florian Green's 2007 shake-down ride:

--
unisk8r
Old December 19th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

Compare my "tuck" position to someone like Dustin Schaap's more vertical
bars:

|Filename: 20070923.DSchaap.jpg |

unisk8r
Old December 19th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

I am currently trying to get a working handle setup out of the remains
of my t7 and other parts. Couldn't find any of those stoker stems except
in the states, and they seem very pricey. So I just got the idea of
buying something like this and modding it with a seatpost clamp:

http://tinyurl.com/4u6crg

It is made of aluminum and the max load is stated as 10Kg... Not sure
if it would work anyways. The quick release attachment might be a weak
spot too.

What do you think, would it be worth a try?

Actually it might be handy to use it the way it is meant as a rack
too...

--
munirocks

mono for bono
Old December 19th 08, 10:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

So I will try to find this rack in my lbs today. They probably won't
have it though.

--
munirocks

mono for bono

new homemade unicycle iridemymuni Unicycling 42 December 27th 08 01:09 AM
Homemade BC w/plates MuniAddict Unicycling 51 September 29th 06 12:17 AM
new homemade giraffe dale_dale Unicycling 16 June 30th 06 02:01 AM
homemade FS frame unisk8r Unicycling 10 May 20th 04 04:13 AM
homemade airseat sockmonster Unicycling 3 April 25th 04 04:42 AM