Thoughts on Cinelli Super Corsa??

Old July 25th 03, 06:25 PM
TW406

Default Thoughts on Cinelli Super Corsa??

Apparently, the 1970's cinellis were much closer to today's rivendells
in workmanship.

Ha, ha. Ask any builder who had one apart for repairs.

They were just bikes in those days, not especially well finished, but very well
designed. I've had a few from the 60s and 70s, but the one I bought new in '84
is the one I've kept and ride.

I realize it doesn't have the "cool" factor, but its a better ride for my
tastes.

Old July 25th 03, 11:28 PM
Baird Webel

On 07/25/2003 13:33, in article
, "F1"
wrote:

I guess I understand the traditional looks and longevity, but I thought
steel was the worst as far as comfort goes.

Comfort depends far more on how the bike is made than what the bike is made
of. Witness the "soft" reputation that aluminum had after the first Vitus
and Alan frames that suddenly transmuted into a "stiff" reputation when
Cannondale introduced it's oversized frames.

Baird

"Eurastus" wrote in message
I don't race anymore, so pure performance isn't an issue. I'm looking for
traditional looks, comfort, and longevity. I've owned and raced on

carbon, Ti,
aluminum, and steel. I just keep coming back to steel.

"F1" wrote:
A bit off topic, but why do you want steel? I'm fairly new to biking and
just wondering why anyone would want anything BUT a good aluminum or

carbon
frame, price not withstanding?

--
Baird Webel
Washington DC

Old July 26th 03, 03:41 AM
jjpsych

"F1" wrote in message k.net...
A bit off topic, but why do you want steel? I'm fairly new to biking and
just wondering why anyone would want anything BUT a good aluminum or carbon
frame, price not withstanding?

Because "Steel is Real"
Old July 26th 03, 04:55 AM
Robin Hubert

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:11:38 +0000, Robin Hubert wrote:

Those seat binder bolts are ridiculous.

I haven't seen one of these close up, but the old Cinelli seat binder
treatment and seat lug/seatstay joint were elegant and functional. What

has changed?

--

Truthfully, I don't know what's changed, since I don't know Cinelli's of
old. But that wimpy 3-piece, two-bolts going into a collar (turnbuckle?)

--
Robin Hubert

Old July 26th 03, 01:03 PM
Bill Graham

Silliness.

I ride a 57cm steel bike that weighs 17 lbs.. I'd say that's light enough.
Climbing actually is quite nice on a steel bike. To me the feel is
characteristic of a spring: you get this compression and expansion effect
which propels one up climbs. It's comfort makes for less fatigue in most as
well to ride longer/farther. I weigh 190 lbs., and I don't recall ever
walking up a hill, but I'm sure there's a first.

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 03:46:35 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" from
Shaw Residential Internet wrote:

Imagine trying to climb on a steel bike!

Aren't there like really heavy people and that's all they can ride? I think
they
don't try climbing though. They walk up the hills.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace
I feel like I am sharing a ``CORN-DOG'' with NIKITA KHRUSCHEV ...

Old July 26th 03, 02:59 PM
David G. White

I currently own three bikes: a '74 Jack Taylor Reynolds 531 steel, an
early 90's Masi Nuova Strada Reynolds 653 steel and a late 90's
Simonetti Easton aluminum. I do sprint rides and time trials on the
Simonetti, but greatly prefer either steel bike for all other riding,
including climbs. I live in Vermont and do a LOT of climbing. I always
choose steel when I'm riding over mountain gaps... reminds me of a great
ride a couple weeks ago when a buddy and I did a double gap ride over
Middlebury and Brandon gaps... wonderful! I used my '74 Jack Taylor.

David G. White
Burlington, VT

Old July 26th 03, 10:15 PM
Keeper of the Mighty Macaulay

Default Thoughts on Steel?? (was Cinelli Super Corsa)

on 03.07.25 21:51, Kevan Smith asserted:

wrote:

Imagine trying to climb on a steel bike!

Aren't there like really heavy people and that's all they can ride? I think
they
don't try climbing though. They walk up the hills.

Indeed. Even at 140lbs, I usually pull over before any hill, wait for my
support vehicle (because you never know when you'll get a flat while going
for groceries and I can't waste minutes in my commute changing a tire) and
swap my derailleur-equipped steel bike for my aluminum track bike. Without
the aluminum bike, I'd be hoofing it in the SPD-SLs for sure.

Seng

Old July 27th 03, 12:49 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

Bill Graham wrote in message ...
Silliness.

I ride a 57cm steel bike that weighs 17 lbs.. I'd say that's light enough.
Climbing actually is quite nice on a steel bike. To me the feel is
characteristic of a spring: you get this compression and expansion effect

Well, actually your bike weights about 19 to 21 lbs, too heavy for today's
competitive riding. And that compression - expansion you're talking
about is actually the damn thing flexing, that's the one thing you
don't want, if a frame is doing that is time to dump it.