I don't understand - what is this for?

Old August 9th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

Default I don't understand - what is this for?

On Aug 8, 4:25 pm, "Kerry Montgomery" wrote:
"Scott Gordo" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Aug 6, 8:06 am, Corvus Corvax wrote:
On Aug 4, 1:16 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"

""sunsetss0003\"@invalida .com" wrote:

What is the deal with single-speed anyway?

To think I missed this flamewar!

http://www.dirtragmag.com/web/articl...egory=web_only

Ride what you want. Life is good.

CC

It's like the yule log. Looks hot, no heat, and I've got my feel up on
the ottoman.

Scott,
And one should take a feel up wherever one can get it!
Kerry

"he got a gallon of
gas in a can, drove home, doused
everything in the house, torched it
parked across the street laughing
watching it burn, all Halloween
orange and chimney red
then Frank put on a top forty station
got on the Hollywood Freeway
headed north
Never could stand that dog"

/s- Hide quoted text -

How Freudian of me!

/s

"Anatomy is density."

Old August 9th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 07:59:34 -0400, Doug Taylor
wrote:

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 13:49:41 -0500, A Muzi
wrote:

p.s. Actually some Zen Master or just Grant's article in RR?

Who knows? :-)

I like this version:

Quote:
And this one shows up on the internet as a "Zen Proverb." God
knows where it really comes from, but even anonymous it's a good one:

A Zen teacher saw five of his students returning from the market,
riding their bicycles. When they arrived at the monastery and had
dismounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your
bicycles?"
The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying the sack of
potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The
teacher praised the first student, "You are a smart boy! When you grow
old, you will not walk hunched over like I do."
The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass
by as I roll down the path!" The teacher commended the second student,
"Your eyes are open, and you see the world."
The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to
chant nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third
student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel."
The fourth student replied, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with
all sentient beings." The teacher was pleased, and said to the fourth
student, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming."
The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The
teacher sat at the feet of the fifth student and said, "Ahh.... I am
your student!"

http://tucorides.blogspot.com/2006/0...ng-quotes.html

Dear Doug,

A sixth student, often omitted from the parable because the Zen
teacher plonked him, replied, "I ride my bike because it allows me to
boast of my prowess, insist that racing means nothing, and call other
posters punks and poseurs."

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old August 9th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 13:54:29 -0400, Doug Taylor
wrote:

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:51:11 -0600, wrote:

Dear Doug,

A sixth student, often omitted from the parable because the Zen
teacher plonked him, replied, "I ride my bike because it allows me to
boast of my prowess, insist that racing means nothing, and call other
posters punks and poseurs."

Dear Carl:

As a (self appointed) Zen master and Guru, I have my own aphorisms:

"The quality of the performance is inversely proportional to the
quantity of its self-promotion."

"A roadie who doesn't also ride off-road has no soul. An off-roadie
who doesn't also ride on the road has no legs."

I'm sure you must have a few of your own. I'm all ears.

Dear Doug,

Koans are not quite the same as aphorisms . . .

http://www.ibiblio.org/zen/cgi-bin/koan-index.pl

***

Here are a few from "The Clipless Pedal," the bicycle-oriented sequel
to "The Gateless Gate."

***

"Master," asked a particularly annoying student, "what sound do you
make when you unclip from a clipless pedal?"

"It's like a threadless headset creaking, only louder," the Zen master
explained, giving the student a broken link to a YouTube video with no
sound.

***

A Zen student too poor to afford a bicycle pump complained to Joshu
that he had found a goathead sticking out of the side of his
still-inflated rear tire.

"You have wasted the goathead's other thorn," said Joshu, who had
either skipped his medication that morning or else needed to increase
the dosage.

The student sold his bicycle, used the money to buy a unicycle, and
became famous on RBT for his posts about chain wear.

***

A Zen student whose feet were a source of sorrow asked his master what
could be done to alleviate his suffering.

The master examined the student's cleats carefully. Then he glued them
to the student's helmet and said, "This will help you up hills."

The master had not been amused by comments about "fatty masters" and
did not want to encourage the student to complain about numb hands,
back pain, or uncomfortable seats.

***

Two Zen masters were sitting next to their bicycles on opposite sides
of a road in the rain.

"Is that a broken spoke?" the first master asked the other. "You are
welcome to use my spare spoke."

Being unwary, the second master accepted the generous offer, but found
that the spoke was of no value to him.

"This is a straight-pull spoke that will not fit my wheel," the second
master said, gritting his teeth.

"I had forgotten that," lied the first Zen master. "I always carry a
spare, even though they never fail."

"Thank you anyway," the other master replied, handing the useless
spoke back and muttering something about the other master's mother
under his breath. "Would you care to borrow my needle to repair your
tubular?"

The first Zen master was so surprised by this kind response to his
wicked behavior that he gladly accepted the needle. After he unsewed
his tubular, he was even more surprised to find that there was no
thread, no patches, and no glue to go with the needle.

"What good is a needle without thread?" he asked the second Zen
master.

"You can poke more holes in your tubular with it," the second Zen
master told him and began pushing his bike down the muddy road.

***

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old August 9th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Michael Press

In article
,

wrote:

[...]

In any respectable monastery that fifth `student' gets
one upside the head. Po faced toad eater.

--
Michael Press
Old August 10th 07, 05:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
â–€Slack

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 22:06:29 -0700, Tim McNamara
wrote:

In article op.twn1x4a3f3vmig@slacker,
?Slack wrote:

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 18:33:47 -0700, Tim McNamara
wrote:

In article op.twnx4ftgf3vmig@slacker,
?Slack wrote:

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 07:21:48 -0700, RonSonic

wrote:

Just because something is faster doesn't mean it's more fun.

Put that bong down!

Have you ever had even a little bit of sex? :-D

Thanks for offer, but I don't swing that way.

The answer's "no," then, or you'd have realized that what RonSonic wrote
is quite true. Just because it's faster doesn't mean it's more fun.
Remember that the first time you get laid.

Please don't publish your baby picture on the Net if you don't want to
found out ---
http://wallstreetjackass.typepad.com...may_be_gay.jpg

--
Slack
Old August 10th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®

"Ozark Bicycle" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 5, 2:29 pm, "GeeDubb" wrote:
"Ozark Bicycle" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Aug 5, 9:59 am, JD wrote:
On Aug 5, 4:24 am, Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
Simple experiment: If you have a manual transmission car, try
driving
around all day in third, including hills and 'standing starts'. All
day, or as long as ya can stand it.

Put the banjo down and go ride your bike.

JD

Anything you say, asshole.

Nice come back. You must have put a lot of thought into it.

Please do excuse my reluctance to cast pearls before swine.

This is the perils of replying to a cross-possting. You just woke up one of
the self-righteous kiddies of alt.mountain-biking soapbox.

Old August 10th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Aug 5, 2:29 pm, "GeeDubb" wrote:
"Ozark Bicycle" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Aug 5, 9:59 am, JD wrote:
On Aug 5, 4:24 am, Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
Simple experiment: If you have a manual transmission car, try
driving
around all day in third, including hills and 'standing starts'. All
day, or as long as ya can stand it.

Put the banjo down and go ride your bike.

JD

Anything you say, asshole.

Nice come back. You must have put a lot of thought into it.

Please do excuse my reluctance to cast pearls before swine.

This is the perils of replying to a cross-possting. You just woke up one of
the self-righteous kiddies of alt.mountain-biking soapbox.

Yeah, "this is". What a dumbass. Go ride your bike, you
pontificating dickhead.

JD