Cyclist damaged car because driver hooted

Old April 3rd 12, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport

Default Sustrans says Boris Johnson intent on bringing London "to a standstill"

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 06:13:33 -0700 (PDT)
Simon Mason wrote:
On Apr 3, 1:56=A0pm, wrote:
On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 13:52:34 +0100

"Simon Mason" wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
..=

..

=93His proposals put the car right back at the heart of transport
policy, yet nearly half of Londoners don't have access to a car.
Expanding roads, ruling out congestion charge expansion and putting up
fares will only see more traffic on our roads.

"For all Boris's talk of getting more of us on our bikes there is not
a single commitment to additional funding for cycling or walking. It
seems that Boris is intent on bringing the capital to a standstill."

Why does walking need funding , is there a shortage of pavements?

How about you A) stop reply to yourself all the time like some kind of
schizo and B) stop generally talking ********.

B2003

Can you actually vote in the mayoral election then?

Yes.

Can you actually write everything in one post instead of scattering them
like chaff?

B2003

Old April 3rd 12, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 12:56:20 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 13:52:34 +0100
"Simon Mason" wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message

“His proposals put the car right back at the heart of transport
policy, yet nearly half of Londoners don't have access to a car.
Expanding roads, ruling out congestion charge expansion and putting up
fares will only see more traffic on our roads.

"For all Boris's talk of getting more of us on our bikes there is not
a single commitment to additional funding for cycling or walking. It
seems that Boris is intent on bringing the capital to a standstill."

Why does walking need funding , is there a shortage of pavements?

There's a shortage of safe and free river crossings downstream of
Tower Bridge.
The London Overground Thames Tunnel is charged;
Rotherhithe Tunnel is not safe;
The Hilton to Canary Wharf Ferry is charged;
The Greenwich DLR tunnel is charged;
The Greenwich Foot Tunnel is closed to people who can't negotiate the
200 narrow steps;
Pedestrians are prohibited from the Blackwall Tunnel;
The Emirates Air Line is not yet open;
Both Jubilee Line Tunnels are charged;
The Thames Barrier Tunnel is closed to the public;
The Woolwich Ferry is safe and free but only open for limited periods;
The Woolwich Foot Tunnel is closed to people who cannot negotiate the
200 steps;
The Woolwich DLR is charged;
The Crossrail Tunnel is not yet open;
The Queen Elizabeth II Bridge is closed to pedestrians.

How about you A) stop reply to yourself all the time like some kind of
schizo and B) stop generally talking ********.

Oh - and on the subject of the Emirates Air Line, I noticed at the
weekend that the cable across the Thames had been hung.

Is there still nobody who will take me up on my wager that the cable
car will be taking its first public passengers before 21 June 2012?
Old April 3rd 12, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 14:42:49 +0100
Bertie Wooster wrote:
There's a shortage of safe and free river crossings downstream of
Tower Bridge.

Oh right, obviously a major issue.

The Queen Elizabeth II Bridge is closed to pedestrians.

I can't imagine too many people walking 20 miles out into essex to cross
the river even if it wasn't , can you?

B2003

Old April 3rd 12, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Judith[_4_]

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 06:13:33 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Apr 3, 1:56*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 13:52:34 +0100

"Simon Mason" wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message

“His proposals put the car right back at the heart of transport
policy, yet nearly half of Londoners don't have access to a car.
Expanding roads, ruling out congestion charge expansion and putting up
fares will only see more traffic on our roads.

"For all Boris's talk of getting more of us on our bikes there is not
a single commitment to additional funding for cycling or walking. It
seems that Boris is intent on bringing the capital to a standstill."

Why does walking need funding , is there a shortage of pavements?

How about you A) stop reply to yourself all the time like some kind of
schizo and B) stop generally talking ********.

B2003

Can you actually vote in the mayoral election then?

No of course not - that is why it is called an election - ffs.
Old April 3rd 12, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Judith[_4_]

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 14:42:49 +0100, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

snip

Is there still nobody who will take me up on my wager that the cable
car will be taking its first public passengers before 21 June 2012?

I have even heard that some sad *******s are going to try and be the first one
across.

I suppose that they have to get some recognition somehow.

Old April 3rd 12, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Judith[_4_]

Default Cyclist damaged car because driver hooted

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 05:50:07 -0700 (PDT), NorthWalesYorkie
wrote:

On Apr 3, 1:04*pm, "Mr Benn" wrote:

The driver of a Ford Fusion beeped his horn at the cyclist as they
approached the traffic lights, who ripped off the passenger side mirror and
rode off along Newbridge Road.

Lets hope the driver's learnt his lesson.

Indeed - "beeping" at a cyclist - outrageous.
Old April 3rd 12, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 16:35:37 +0100
Bertie Wooster wrote:

Bertie Wooster wrote:
There's a shortage of safe and free river crossings downstream of
Tower Bridge.

Oh right, obviously a major issue.

For those who want to cross the river it is, yes.

Unless you live on one bank and need to get to somewhere on the other
bank you'll be using some form of transport so I fail to see the problem.
In central london where people do walk across the river to get around then
there is no shortage of bridges.

The Queen Elizabeth II Bridge is closed to pedestrians.

I can't imagine too many people walking 20 miles out into essex to cross
the river even if it wasn't , can you?

South of the river, the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge is a mere 2 miles
from London (the political district). Even on the north bank it's just
3 or 4 miles.

The QE2 bridge is essentially in the middle of an industrial wasteland
so apart from perhaps employees at an oil storage depot wanting to walk
2 miles bluewater I'm afraid I'm at a loss as to why anyone would want to
cross the bridge on foot anyway. Perhaps their car has broken down?

B2003

Old April 3rd 12, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport

wrote:

On Apr 3, 1:04*pm, "Mr Benn" wrote:

The driver of a Ford Fusion beeped his horn at the cyclist as they
approached the traffic lights, who ripped off the passenger side mirror and
rode off along Newbridge Road.

Lets hope the driver's learnt his lesson.

Indeed - "beeping" at a cyclist - outrageous.

I was walking along a towpath at lunch today and some knob on a bike
came up behind me and missed me by inches. No bell or anything. If I'd have
turned suddenly or deviated from the direction I was walking in the stupid
**** would have gone in the canal and I'd have had a torn jacket.
Wtf is wrong with these people?

B2003