No Wonder There Is Congestion In Edinburgh

Old March 9th 05, 02:46 PM

Default No Wonder There Is Congestion In Edinburgh

http://news.scotsman.com/politics.cfm?id=258002005

Scottish ministers are adopting a do as I say not as I do attitude in
Edinburgh. Since the Scottish Parliment opened in September official
cars have been used 276 times to convey ministers from the Executive
Offices to the parliment building. avoiding an 800m walk. And the
car/taxi route is twice the distance so giving only a minimal time
saving. The article didn't mention the fact a bike would be the fastest
method between the two buildings.
So much for politicians telling the public not to use cars for
short journeys.
Iain

Old March 9th 05, 05:18 PM
David Hansen

On 9 Mar 2005 06:46:51 -0800 someone who may be "
wrote this:-

The article didn't mention the fact a bike would be the fastest
method between the two buildings.

There is a hill no matter which way one comes back. Walking or
cycling up hills is not what ministers do.

Of course had they built the parliament in the right place even
ministers could have managed to walk across the road.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old March 9th 05, 09:16 PM
Geoff Pearson

wrote this:-

The article didn't mention the fact a bike would be the fastest
method between the two buildings.

There is a hill no matter which way one comes back. Walking or
cycling up hills is not what ministers do.

Of course had they built the parliament in the right place even
ministers could have managed to walk across the road.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Many Scottish Ministers are not in St Andrew's House but in Pentland House
and Victoria Quay - well beyond walking distance!

Old March 9th 05, 10:21 PM
Jon Senior

Geoff Pearson wrote:
Many Scottish Ministers are not in St Andrew's House but in Pentland House
and Victoria Quay - well beyond walking distance!

But the car journeys mentioned were from St Andrew's House. And that
would have to depend on what you consider to be walking distance. If the
minister in the photo tried walking further than the door of the car to
the door of the building, he might look a little less blob like and a
little more "people-shaped"!

Jon
Old March 10th 05, 10:58 AM
David Hansen

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 22:21:56 +0000 someone who may be Jon Senior
jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk wrote this:-

Many Scottish Ministers are not in St Andrew's House but in Pentland House
and Victoria Quay - well beyond walking distance!

But the car journeys mentioned were from St Andrew's House.

Indeed.

However, both the other buildings have frequent bus services to near
St Andrew's House, from which they could easily walk. Buses from
Victoria Quay leave from the front door, one would have a couple of
minutes walk to the stop from Pentland House.

There might also be direct buses from the buildings to Donald
Dewar's Folly. It is something I have never bothered to look into
myself and I am unlikely to bother in the future. £431 million for
something that looks like the No 6 tractor factor in Minsk.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old March 10th 05, 02:09 PM
Bryan

David Hansen Wrote:
[...]

Nearly all politicians behave in a 'ddo as I say not as I do
mentaliuty', it's not just those north of the border. Downing St to
Palace of Westministr, about 400 yards, but how many MP's walk it? The
reason they don't use public transport/walk/cyce is that it brings them
into contact with the public, who just might want to ask them a few
questions as to what it is they actually do all day long, oh and
because they get an extortionate car allowance.

Bryan

--
Bryan

Old March 10th 05, 02:29 PM
Dave Larrington

Bryan wrote:

Nearly all politicians behave in a 'ddo as I say not as I do
mentaliuty', it's not just those north of the border. Downing St to
Palace of Westministr, about 400 yards, but how many MP's walk it?
The reason they don't use public transport/walk/cyce is that it
brings them into contact with the public, who just might want to ask
them a few questions as to what it is they actually do all day long,
oh and because they get an extortionate car allowance.

No, no, Bryan, it's a /security/ thing. The Met's new Chief Dibble tells us
every hour on the hour that the streets are awash with hordes of baying
Moslem insaniacs poised to commit the worst kind of atrocities in the name
of Osama Bun Laden. So it would clearly be irresponsible in the extreme for
Our Leaders to expose themselves to this kind of danger.

Now will somebody please take this jacket off me?

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Old March 10th 05, 03:07 PM
David Hansen

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 01:09:45 +1100 someone who may be Bryan
wrote this:-

Downing St to
Palace of Westministr, about 400 yards, but how many MP's walk it?

Mr Liar used to do so sometimes, when the spin doctors said it would
look good for him.

The
reason they don't use public transport/walk/cyce is that it brings them
into contact with the public, who just might want to ask them a few
questions as to what it is they actually do all day long,

Is not it the current strategy of Mr Liar's spin doctors to expose
him to angry people, especially if they are female?

oh and
because they get an extortionate car allowance.

Agreed.

While not all party politicians are lying, cheating, scumbags far
too many of them are, starting with Mr Liar.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old March 10th 05, 03:07 PM
Tony Hogarty

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:29:49 +0000, Dave Larrington wrote:

No, no, Bryan, it's a /security/ thing. The Met's new Chief Dibble tells
us every hour on the hour that the streets are awash with hordes of baying
Moslem insaniacs poised to commit the worst kind of atrocities in the name
of Osama Bun Laden. So it would clearly be irresponsible in the extreme
for Our Leaders to expose themselves to this kind of danger.

Convenient we get utterings from the head plod about being overun at
exactly the same time as there is a debate going on about curbing all our
civil liberties. Coincidence?

--
Regards

Tony Hogarty
(Take out the garbage to reply)

Old March 10th 05, 03:41 PM
David Hansen

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:29:49 -0000 someone who may be "Dave
Larrington" wrote this:-

No, no, Bryan, it's a /security/ thing. The Met's new Chief Dibble tells us
every hour on the hour that the streets are awash with hordes of baying
Moslem insaniacs poised to commit the worst kind of atrocities in the name
of Osama Bun Laden.

Indeed, one or two hundred of them to be precise. Mr Liar only
claims a few dozen, so someone is doing some sexing up somewhere.

Meanwhile motorists kill around 3000 people a year and neither Mr
Liar or Mr Dibble seem to be bothered about this. Perhaps only less
important people are killed by motorists.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.