Platform / Clipless Pedals Suggestion

Old May 3rd 04, 01:47 PM
Simon

Default Platform / Clipless Pedals Suggestion

Anyone use clipless pedals with a platform surround? I want to use regular
shoes for quick rides around the neighbourhood. Any suggestions?

tia,
Simon

Old May 3rd 04, 04:58 PM
Dean A. Stepper

"Simon" wrote in message
Anyone use clipless pedals with a platform surround? I want to use

regular
shoes for quick rides around the neighbourhood. Any suggestions?

tia,
Simon

I use Shimano 545....the engagement part of the pedal is higher than the
outside cage. It is uncomfortable when wearing non-biking shoes.

Old May 3rd 04, 06:27 PM
Dan Volker

"Dean A. Stepper" wrote in message

"Simon" wrote in message
Anyone use clipless pedals with a platform surround? I want to use

regular
shoes for quick rides around the neighbourhood. Any suggestions?

tia,
Simon

I use Shimano 545....the engagement part of the pedal is higher than the
outside cage. It is uncomfortable when wearing non-biking shoes.

It takes all of about 2 minutes and a pedal wrench to switch from the SPD's
to a pair of cheap Kmart flat pedals ( about $9.00 a pair).
Or, buy a junker bike ( $ 60) with flat pedals for riding around town, etc,
and if someone steals it, you won't care so much.
Dan V

Old May 3rd 04, 08:58 PM
Per Elmsäter

Simon wrote:
Anyone use clipless pedals with a platform surround? I want to use
regular shoes for quick rides around the neighbourhood. Any
suggestions?

Shimano sells a clipon platform that you clipon to a SPD pedal. You then
ride it with your normal shoes.

--
Perre

Old May 3rd 04, 09:02 PM
William Pughe

"Per Elmsäter" writes:

Simon wrote:
Anyone use clipless pedals with a platform surround? I want to use
regular shoes for quick rides around the neighbourhood. Any
suggestions?

Shimano sells a clipon platform that you clipon to a SPD pedal. You then
ride it with your normal shoes.

--
Perre

I bought one of these systems a long time ago, and quickly realized that
for quickie rides it wasn't worth the hassle of putting it on, and for any
ride that was long enough I'd rather just put on my shoes.

Having pedals with one side clip in and one side flat is good for a commuter
bike.

Will
Old May 3rd 04, 09:31 PM
Kamus of Kadizhar

On Mon, 03 May 2004 13:27:01 -0400, Dan Volker wrote:

It takes all of about 2 minutes and a pedal wrench to switch from the SPD's
to a pair of cheap Kmart flat pedals ( about $9.00 a pair).
Or, buy a junker bike ( $ 60) with flat pedals for riding around town, etc,
and if someone steals it, you won't care so much.
Dan V

Why? It takes a second to flip the pedal over. My wife uses the flip
pedals on her tourer/kid hauler. Much easier if you want to jump on the
bike and go around the block.

performance used to sell a pedal - Campus? Commuter? That had a SPD clip
on one side, and a platform on the other. If you can't find those, many
spin bikes have those pedals, so any shop that handles spin bikes should
be able to help you.

--Kamus

Old May 3rd 04, 10:10 PM
Steve + Laura

Simon,
I just swapped both my bikes to shimano 324 pedals (clipless on one
side, cage on the other). So far, I like them better than the Wellgo
double sided clipless pedals that came with my mountain bike, they are a
bit easier to get out of. Pricepoint has them for $50.

Steve.

Old May 4th 04, 06:41 AM
SniffinVinyl

"William Pughe" wrote in message
"Per Elmsäter" writes:

Simon wrote:
Anyone use clipless pedals with a platform surround? I want to use
regular shoes for quick rides around the neighbourhood. Any
suggestions?

Shimano sells a clipon platform that you clipon to a SPD pedal. You then
ride it with your normal shoes.

--
Perre

I bought one of these systems a long time ago, and quickly realized that
for quickie rides it wasn't worth the hassle of putting it on, and for any
ride that was long enough I'd rather just put on my shoes.

Having pedals with one side clip in and one side flat is good for a

commuter
bike.

Will

I had the same experience, and never really used the clip-on platforms.
Riding the bike is actually fine with regular shoes on my clipless pedals,
but sometimes I will also put on my old spd shoes which are not that stiff
in the sole if I end up doing some walking.

Sniffinvinyl
----------------
Remain sane, cycle your brains out . . .

Old May 4th 04, 01:23 PM
Simon

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. I decided to go with Crank
Bros. Mallet C's. I'll reply back once I get them put on and go for a ride.

Old May 5th 04, 06:20 AM
Slash

On Mon, 03 May 2004 21:10:32 GMT, Steve + Laura
scribbled:

Simon,
I just swapped both my bikes to shimano 324 pedals (clipless on one
side, cage on the other). So far, I like them better than the Wellgo
double sided clipless pedals that came with my mountain bike, they are a
bit easier to get out of. Pricepoint has them for $50.

Steve.

Nashbar Rodeos are similar, and what I have on my bike right now. I'll
probably try clipless this summer, but will likely retain the platform
(Crank Brothers Mallets) because the ease of being able to jump on a
ride is a nice convenience. I think it helps occasionally in tricky
terrain too, but that's me and I'm kind of odd.

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion