Durability Of Aftermarket Shifter Cables?

Old September 27th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Sr.

Default Durability Of Aftermarket Shifter Cables?

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:32:51 +0000 (UTC), sally
wrote:

Steve Sr. wrote in
:
Can anyone comment on the durability of aftermarket shifter cables?
These would be for a Shimano 10S system. I have recently had one
nearly break that was less than a year old and I think it was
aftermarket. I can't recall having this problem with my other bike
with 9S which used Shimano cables.

How many miles in 1 year? If you ride a lot, replacing cables every year is
a good idea. Indexed shifting cables do have a tendency to snap inside the
shift lever, where you can't easily inspect it.

Actually, it is real easy to inspect the rear cable. Shift to your
lowest gear (biggest cog). Now without turning the pedals apply slight
tension to the inner shifter cable somewhere it is exposed. Then index
the shifter to the highest gear. This should provide enough cable
slack so that you can remove the cable from the frame at the lower
deraileur cable. Now with the cable loose you have enough slack to
push it out of the shifter and inspect for broken strands.

Unfortunately this doesn't work for the front cable. You'll have to
take the cable out of the front deraileur.

Steve