singlespeed on the cheap

Old March 16th 08, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin[_2_]

Default singlespeed on the cheap

Duncan Smith writes:

To the OP: buy two it's a steal!

I tried to convince my wife she needed one as well, but a singlespeed
was always going to be a tough sell for her - especially since she only
has one bike on the go at any time (whereas I have several).

But I did order one of these for her:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=9455&f%5FFullProdu ctVersion=1&f%5FSupersetQRY=C105&f%5FSortOrderID=1 &f%5Fbct=c003155c002910

Looks like a nice bike - reasonable spec - can always upgrade the
wheels if/when they wear out,

Yeah, well my existing commuting bike (which still sort of runs, but
lots of bit are wearing out) has a pretty good front wheel with a SON
hub, so I might transfer that over with a new light.

OTOH I quite like the idea of the singlespeed being as simple as
possible and - at least through the summer - I guess I can get away
without needing lights much - maybe just some detachable little LED ones
on the odd occasion that it's necessary.

Old March 16th 08, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
permajeo[_64_]

Have you seen the Beauville Rendevouez (sp?)

TimHenderson Wrote:
On 15 Mar, 08:34, Paul Rudin wrote:

If I get the hang of riding fixed do I really need the rear brake? Or
should I just leave it on in case I want to use the freewheel at some
point?

If I ride fixed, will I look like him ?

http://altabikes.no/

--
permajeo

Old March 17th 08, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 15 Mar, 08:34, Paul Rudin wrote:
I've just ordered one of these:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=9453&...

(assuming that 'orrible url works :/)

I'm not expecting anything very wonderful at that price, but it should
be light and low maintenance for zipping around town.

It's nearly 24lbs/11Kg. I guess this is par for the course but it
strikes me as quite heavy for a fixie... It should certainly be low
maintenance and the price is very attractive, however.
What I don't get is where the weight is... the wheels can't be that
heavy, the bars,saddle etc all look OK and there arn't any 'guards,
racks, gears etc. Do the frame ("7005-series aluminium") and forks
("Steel rigid straight blade with low rider eyelets") _really_ weigh
that much?

If I get the hang of riding fixed do I really need the rear brake? Or
should I just leave it on in case I want to use the freewheel at some
point?

I like brakes... I've been commuting on fixed for the last eighteen
months or so and I find it much easier to feather a rear brake than
try and apply backpressure smoothly. If I need to stop fast or want to
slow down when the road's a little greasy I am much more comfortable
with the brake: I'd definitely keep it.
If you never actually used it and your ride was some exotic
featherweight where a few grammes of brake caliper was measurable,
then there's a case for minimalism but otherwise...

Cheers,
W.
Old March 17th 08, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Al C-F

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=9453&f%5FFullProdu ctVersion=1&f%5FSupersetQRY=C416&f%5FSortOrderID=1 &f%5Fbct=

(assuming that 'orrible url works :/)

I'm not expecting anything very wonderful at that price, but it should
be light and low maintenance for zipping around town.

If I get the hang of riding fixed do I really need the rear brake? Or
should I just leave it on in case I want to use the freewheel at some
point?

I've just received Edinburgh's comic this morning, and the picture of
the dropouts shows that they are traditional, forward-facing, slanted
types as per many older bikes.

Does the panel have a view on whether proper (rear facing) track
dropouts should have been used for a purpose-built bike?
Old March 17th 08, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

Al C-F writtificated

Does the panel have a view on whether proper (rear facing) track
dropouts should have been used for a purpose-built bike?

I've not had a problem with horizontal dropouts. I was in there earlier -
should've checked to see whether the production ones have 'em.
Old March 18th 08, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
Al C-F m tweaked the
Babbage-Engine to tell us:

I've just received Edinburgh's comic this morning, and the picture of
the dropouts shows that they are traditional, forward-facing, slanted
types as per many older bikes.

Does the panel have a view on whether proper (rear facing) track
dropouts should have been used for a purpose-built bike?

Old-skool forward facing dropouts make it a smidge easier to remove the rear
wheel should one's velocipede be fitted with mudguards, but I've had no
problems getting it off my guard-equipped Cotic Roadrat, which has track
ends.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old March 18th 08, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
M-gineering

Dave Larrington wrote:
In ,
Al C-F m tweaked the
Babbage-Engine to tell us:

I've just received Edinburgh's comic this morning, and the picture of
the dropouts shows that they are traditional, forward-facing, slanted
types as per many older bikes.

Does the panel have a view on whether proper (rear facing) track
dropouts should have been used for a purpose-built bike?

Old-skool forward facing dropouts make it a smidge easier to remove the rear
wheel should one's velocipede be fitted with mudguards, but I've had no
problems getting it off my guard-equipped Cotic Roadrat, which has track
ends.

track-ends look cool and are stronger. Conventional horizontal (angled)
dropouts give more adjustment before you run into trouble with the
brakeblocks hitting the tyre

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old March 19th 08, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
M-gineering tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:

track-ends look cool and are stronger. Conventional horizontal
(angled) dropouts give more adjustment before you run into trouble
with the brakeblocks hitting the tyre

That is, if you have a rear (rim) brake at all...

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
Mr. Charles Kennedy (Krankieburgh): Would the Prime Minister
care to comment on a report in today's Guardian that he: "arrived
late for a meeting with Jacques Chirac, smelling of alcohol, and
with body language suggesting a total disregard for the rights
of ethnic minorities, lone parents and laboratory animals"?

Old March 19th 08, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins

In article , Dave Larrington wrote:
M-gineering tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:

track-ends look cool and are stronger. Conventional horizontal
(angled) dropouts give more adjustment before you run into trouble
with the brakeblocks hitting the tyre

That is, if you have a rear (rim) brake at all...

The Edinburgh Courier S1ngle comes with two rim brakes, so they can expect
at least some of its users to have a rear rim brake. (And any of them using
the freewheel side of the flip-flop hub it comes with will need to keep
both the brakes to be legal - I imagine the frame design is shared with the
hub gear Nexus Courier too.)
Old March 20th 08, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin[_2_]

Paul Rudin writes:

I've just ordered one of these:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=9453&f%5FFullProdu ctVersion=1&f%5FSupersetQRY=C416&f%5FSortOrderID=1 &f%5Fbct=

(assuming that 'orrible url works :/)

I'm not expecting anything very wonderful at that price, but it should
be light and low maintenance for zipping around town.

If I get the hang of riding fixed do I really need the rear brake? Or
should I just leave it on in case I want to use the freewheel at some
point?

I've had the bike for a couple of days now. I haven't yet been for a
decent ride on it, but have done a few km. I find getting used to the
fixed wheel hard - so I've just now switched it back round so that I
have a freewheel. I'll have a go at the fixed again at some point.

The bike seems pretty good for the price. I'll upgrade bits and pieces
when they need replacing (I've already installed spd pedals).