Government Could Raise Speed Limit

Old March 14th 11, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Nuxx Bar

Default Government Could Raise Speed Limit

Nice to have a halfway sensible Transport Secretary at last. Oddly,
he seems to share with me and others the "delusion" that the anti-car
lobby use safety as an excuse to keep speed limits down.

Isn't it despicable to tell lies about road safety when it's literally
a matter of life and death? How do such people sleep at night? Well,
Guy?

http://www.businesscar.co.uk/story.a...93&c=2&theme=0

Government could raise speed limit

Transport secretary Philip Hammond is considering raising the motorway
speed limit to 80mph in order to shorten journey times and boost the
economy.

Hammond claimed the anti-car lobby used road safety as an excuse both
to oppose raising the speed limit and to campaign for more 20mph zones
in cities and towns.

Despite Britain having some of the safest roads in Europe – and by far
the safest motorways – Hammond said safety alone should not determine
speed limits but that a cost benefit analysis should also be factored
in.

The government is also considering bringing in more variable motorway
speed limits, which fall when traffic is congested and rise when roads
are empty.

Although fuel consumption is up to 20% higher at 80mph than 70mph,
Hammond dismissed speculation that speed limits could actually be cut
to reduce consumption.

UK motorway speed limits are lower than in many other European
countries such as France, Italy, Spain and Ireland. Parts of the
German autobahn network are unrestricted with no speed limits.

There were 132 deaths on UK motorways in 2009.
Old March 14th 11, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
GT

"Nuxx Bar" wrote in message
Nice to have a halfway sensible Transport Secretary at last. Oddly,
he seems to share with me and others the "delusion" that the anti-car
lobby use safety as an excuse to keep speed limits down.

Isn't it despicable to tell lies about road safety when it's literally
a matter of life and death? How do such people sleep at night? Well,
Guy?

http://www.businesscar.co.uk/story.a...93&c=2&theme=0

Government could raise speed limit

Transport secretary Philip Hammond is considering raising the motorway
speed limit to 80mph in order to shorten journey times and boost the
economy.

Gets my vote. Perhaps they should also introduce some compulsory motorway
training for drivers who have passed their driving test.

Hammond claimed the anti-car lobby used road safety as an excuse both
to oppose raising the speed limit and to campaign for more 20mph zones
in cities and towns.

20mph limits round schools also gets my vote.

I'm against the speed humps and blocks on 1 side of the road that are
currently used to enforce them, but can't see a viable alternative - labour
have spent all the money, so we can't afford police or speed cameras any
more. We have a few schools round here that have 30mph or 40mph roads
passing them. At the appropriate times of day, they have the flashing 20mph
signs and drivers seem to actually slow down - I definitely do. I would
prefer to see more of these for a start.

Old March 14th 11, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 07:05:41 -0700 (PDT)
Nuxx Bar wrote:
Transport secretary Philip Hammond is considering raising the motorway
speed limit to 80mph in order to shorten journey times and boost the
economy.

Hammond claimed the anti-car lobby used road safety as an excuse both
to oppose raising the speed limit and to campaign for more 20mph zones
in cities and towns.

Despite Britain having some of the safest roads in Europe =96 and by far
the safest motorways =96 Hammond said safety alone should not determine
speed limits but that a cost benefit analysis should also be factored
in.

Finally a politician who talks some sense. Lets see if he puts his money
where his mouth is however when all the Doug types all start bleating with
one voice.

B2003

Old March 14th 11, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:52:29 -0000
"GT" wrote:
Gets my vote. Perhaps they should also introduce some compulsory motorway
training for drivers who have passed their driving test.

Hammond claimed the anti-car lobby used road safety as an excuse both
to oppose raising the speed limit and to campaign for more 20mph zones
in cities and towns.

20mph limits round schools also gets my vote.

Given the utter incompetant driving of some of the women dropping their kids
off in the morning I find I'm generally doing quite well if I can get anywhere
close to that speed around 9am in the vicinity of my local school.

B2003

Old March 14th 11, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
FrengaX

http://www.businesscar.co.uk/story.a...orycode=7093&c....

[...]

Comnplely OT for a cycling newsgroup, especially as we're talking
motorways, where bicycles are not allowed.
Old March 14th 11, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
FrengaX

On Mar 14, 2:52*pm, "GT" wrote:
"Nuxx Bar" wrote in message
[...]

As long as such 20mph limits are only in force during school hours,
e.g. indicated by flashing lights. There's nothing more ridiculous
than having to crawl past a school at 20mph at 3am, or in the middle
of the summer holidays (provided there are no extra-curricular
activities going on at the time).
Old March 14th 11, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
GT

"GT" wrote:
Gets my vote. Perhaps they should also introduce some compulsory motorway
training for drivers who have passed their driving test.

Hammond claimed the anti-car lobby used road safety as an excuse both
to oppose raising the speed limit and to campaign for more 20mph zones
in cities and towns.

20mph limits round schools also gets my vote.

Given the utter incompetant driving of some of the women dropping their
kids
off in the morning I find I'm generally doing quite well if I can get
anywhere
close to that speed around 9am in the vicinity of my local school.

A very similar point to that of reducing the motorway speed when its busy -
too many cars and everyone slows down anyway - reducing the limit just makes
sure that traffic can't make good progress when it does clear!

Old March 14th 11, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
bugbear

d wrote:
all the Doug types

Doug is unique, thankfully.

In particular, he has no authority to speak on behalf
of any cyclists.

BugBear
Old March 14th 11, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar

On Mar 14, 3:32 pm, FrengaX wrote:

Comnplely OT for a cycling newsgroup, especially as we're talking
motorways, where bicycles are not allowed.

I have explained this to you before. URC is the unmoderated UK
newsgroup with the most anti-car posters, and it's sometimes useful to
get their input. It's especially relevant in this case since the
story mentions the anti-car lobby using safety as an excuse to call
for lower speed limits, something which has been done many times on
URC. Furthermore, the idea that the anti-car lobby would do that has
been ridiculed (usually by the anti-car posters themselves) as the
deranged rantings of a petrolhead, so it's good that our Transport
Secretary has now said the same thing, showing that there's something
in it after all.

But you're right, cyclists aren't allowed on motorways, so it'll be
interesting to see what excuse the car-haters come up with for
opposing an 80mph limit on them.
Old March 14th 11, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Nuxx Bar

On Mar 14, 3:48*pm, bugbear wrote:
wrote:
*all the Doug types

Doug is unique, thankfully.

In particular, he has no authority to speak on behalf
of any cyclists.

But you agree with him mostly, don't you? You're as anti-car as him,
surely? You just deny it like Chapman does?

Do you agree that the motorway speed limit should be raised to 80mph?
No? Proves my point. You can't use "cyclist safety" as an excuse
this time.

Government wants lower speed limits. Doug[_3_] UK 39 December 20th 09 01:26 PM
Road speed limit cut to 50mph Mike Clayton UK 53 March 12th 09 09:06 PM
Speed limit enforcement Eugenio Mastroviti UK 19 March 15th 05 08:15 AM
speed limit Andrew Whaley UK 37 December 5th 04 10:29 PM
Speed limit Brian Drury UK 48 June 28th 04 12:45 PM