Government Could Raise Speed Limit

Old March 15th 11, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Peter Keller

Default Government Could Raise Speed Limit

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:59:28 +0000, boltar2003 wrote:

20mph limits round schools also gets my vote.

Given the utter incompetant driving of some of the women dropping their
kids off in the morning I find I'm generally doing quite well if I can
get anywhere close to that speed around 9am in the vicinity of my local
school.

B2003

And for the same reason I think it will actually be safer to encourage
kids to ride or walk to school rather than be transported by their little
blonde mothers in huge 4WD's

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.
Old March 15th 11, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:06:35 +0000, Judith wrote:

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 08:32:33 -0700 (PDT), FrengaX
wrote:

snip

Comnplely OT for a cycling newsgroup, especially as we're talking
motorways, where bicycles are not allowed.

So why the **** respond to another post in the same thread three
minutes later?

What a ****** - you make Mason look bright.

****** now? What an honour to be ******ed by Judith!

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.
Old March 15th 11, 12:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_3_]

On 14/03/11 22:10, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

On 14/03/2011 21:48, Tony Raven wrote:
Derek wrote:

Isn't time also a finite resource? Driving from London to Scotland
takes for ever driving at 70 mph.

Takes a lot less time on the train at 125mph. Less time than it takes to
drive to Manchester. Plus you can read, snooze, watch a movie, eat or
whatever on the way rather than just sitting there holding a steering
wheel.

Or you can book on the sleeper, which is actually rather civilised.

What is it like? I may be using it this summer.
Old March 15th 11, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Peter Hill

On 14 Mar 2011 19:05:43 GMT, Mike P wrote:

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 07:05:41 -0700, Nuxx Bar ranted:

Nice to have a halfway sensible Transport Secretary at last. Oddly, he
seems to share with me and others the "delusion" that the anti-car lobby
use safety as an excuse to keep speed limits down.

Isn't it despicable to tell lies about road safety when it's literally a
matter of life and death? How do such people sleep at night? Well,
Guy?

http://www.businesscar.co.uk/story.asp?

sectioncode=1&storycode=7093&c=2&theme=0

Government could raise speed limit

Transport secretary Philip Hammond is considering raising the motorway
speed limit to 80mph in order to shorten journey times and boost the
economy.

What difference does it make anyway? Does anyone actually pay that much
attention to the 70mph limit other than people like my mum?

Nope. Police won't usually bother about anyone doing 80mph on M-way.
They will only bother about 95+ or someone driving/riding like a ****.

Though someone foot to the floor doing 95mph in a Ford Ka or small
white van is far more dangerous to themselves and others than someone
doing 125mph in a DB9. Never seen a DB9 spinning on it's roof in the
middle lane or mounted the armco. When speed comes easy the driver is
far more willing to give it up.
--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header
Old March 15th 11, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Mar 14, 9:48*pm, Tony Raven wrote:
Derek C wrote:
Isn't time also a finite resource? *Driving from London to Scotland
takes for ever driving *at 70 mph.

Takes a lot less time on the train at 125mph. *Less time than it takes to
drive to Manchester. Plus you can read, snooze, watch a movie, eat or
whatever on the way rather than just sitting there holding a steering
wheel.

I thought you could read, snooze, watch a movie and eat in a car as
well?
I saw a cabbie with an ipod propped up on his dashboard watching
cricket the other day and eating and reading are very commonplace as
is falling asleep at the wheel.
--
Simon Mason
Old March 15th 11, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
bugbear

Nuxx Bar wrote:
On Mar 14, 3:48 pm, wrote:
wrote:
all the Doug types

Doug is unique, thankfully.

In particular, he has no authority to speak on behalf
of any cyclists.

But you agree with him mostly, don't you?

No. But it's kind of you to ask.

BugBear
Old March 15th 11, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

Derek C wrote:
Isn't time also a finite resource? *Driving from London to Scotland
takes for ever driving *at 70 mph.

Takes a lot less time on the train at 125mph. *Less time than it takes to
drive to Manchester. Plus you can read, snooze, watch a movie, eat or
whatever on the way rather than just sitting there holding a steering
wheel.

--
Tony

But train travel costs just as much for a single person, if not more,
than going by car. And that's before the extortionate charge for the
doubtful priviledge parking your car in a station car park and the
cost of the taxi to get you to your final destination. And the rail
fare costs go up in 100% increments for each additional passenger,
which is not true for a car.

Most other European countries seem to have cheap, reliable and
efficient public transport networks, but of course we live in Rip-off
Britain.

Derek C

Old March 15th 11, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar

On Mar 15, 12:25*am, Adam Lea wrote:
On 14/03/11 22:10, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Or you can book on the sleeper, which is actually rather civilised.

What is it like? I may be using it this summer.

I hope for your sake that you're not 6'4". Otherwise quite good, and
there's nothing quite like dropping off somewhere round Rugby and
waking up in the middle of nowhere in the highlands.

If you want to sit in the buffet car then get there early as seats are
limited.

(Although I haven't done it since 2003 so things may have changed
since then....)
Old March 15th 11, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar

Derek C wrote:
Isn't time also a finite resource? *Driving from London to Scotland
takes for ever driving *at 70 mph.

Takes a lot less time on the train at 125mph. *Less time than it takes to
drive to Manchester. Plus you can read, snooze, watch a movie, eat or
whatever on the way rather than just sitting there holding a steering
wheel.

Good job: you make a post which is about driving, and not cycling, yet
you remove uk.rec.driving from the newsgroups and just leave
uk.rec.cycling! Mad Tony Raven. Stark, squawking mad. FrengaX of
the On-Topic Police will have a fit.

Amazing that for some car-haters, even the mere act of posting to
uk.rec.driving is being too pro-car.

(Also well done for avoiding explaining why you don't want the
motorway speed limit raised to 80mph...I guess even you can't think of
an excuse, along with Chapman? My my, the car-haters are coming
unstuck....)

Last but not least, in this country we say "film" (two syllables oop
north) and not "movie".

All in all, your post was terrible. Do make more effort.
Old March 15th 11, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar

Derek wrote:
Isn't time also a finite resource? Driving from London to Scotland
takes for ever driving at 70 mph.
Takes a lot less time on the train at 125mph. Less time than it takes to
drive to Manchester. Plus you can read, snooze, watch a movie, eat or
whatever on the way rather than just sitting there holding a steering
wheel.
As you know only too well, only cyclists (who are apparently Considerably
Richer than Yow on average) can afford such an unjustifiable expense.
Especially seeing that it scales up 100% a time for incrementing the number
of passengers in the party.

About £40-50 one way travelling next week which compares very favourably with
the costs of driving. The average car occupancy is not a lot more than one so
the circumstances where there are more in the party is rare. But if there
are, it doesn't scale up 100% a time because you can use a Family and Friends
railcard to get discounts for parties.

Why "nest week"?

What about tomorrow? Or better still, right now (0:10)?

The worst thing about all your stuff is that people like you really *believe*
it. Of course, on your planet, everyone knows everything and carefully plans
everything weeks in advance and takes the same sort of anal delight in the
study of railway timetables that you obviously do. They also don't have heavy
luggage to take and they definitely don't require the use of a car whilst at
the other end of their journey.

On Earth, though, life is more complicated than that.

How much would it cost me from London to Edinburgh tomorrow morning at around
09:00?

Stellar post, Mr N. Sums up the impracticality of the car-haters'
views perfectly. We'll see what Squawk has to say (if he dares to
reply at all).

Government wants lower speed limits. Doug[_3_] UK 39 December 20th 09 01:26 PM
Road speed limit cut to 50mph Mike Clayton UK 53 March 12th 09 09:06 PM
Speed limit enforcement Eugenio Mastroviti UK 19 March 15th 05 08:15 AM
speed limit Andrew Whaley UK 37 December 5th 04 10:29 PM
Speed limit Brian Drury UK 48 June 28th 04 12:45 PM