Government Could Raise Speed Limit

Old March 15th 11, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default Government Could Raise Speed Limit

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:04:59 -0000
"Scion" wrote:

I fell asleep at the wheel last week. What a mess. Clay everywhere.

I manage that when I'm awake. :-)

Old March 15th 11, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Bartc

"Judith" wrote in message

Bit of course cyclists will still be able to ignore such a limit.

Yes, cyclists travelling at over 20mph are a huge problem in this country.

If they were forced to limit their speed to 20mph then of course that would
be perfectly acceptable.

--
Bartc

Old March 15th 11, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Just zis Guy, you know?[_34_]

Old March 15th 11, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Adrian

Sadly Guy will not recognise that this comment is ironic. He thinks that
motorists riding fast are a massive problem (in that they may actually be
enjoying driving, which he apparently believes should be a capital
offence).

Old March 15th 11, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Just zis Guy, you know?[_34_]

Old March 15th 11, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Just zis Guy, you know?[_34_]

Old March 16th 11, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Bartc

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 14/03/2011 16:44, Jethro wrote:

Transport secretary Philip Hammond is considering raising the motorway
speed limit to 80mph in order to shorten journey times and boost the
economy.

Is it just me, or is this gesture politics of the cynical kind ?

Not just you. Nice easy way for the minister to get some positive
coverage, and he doesn't have to actually do anything - I rather doubt
he'll go ahead and do it.

Why not introduce something radical, such as speed limits that end in "5"?
(For speeds above 20mph anyway)

That means that many roads in town, which are not quite safe enough for
40mph, can have 35mph limits instead of 30mph (and getting a ticket for
36mph). And other roads can be 25mph instead of having to drop all the way
to 20.

Otherwise, one can only assume that many speed limits are more-or-less
arbitrary: why exactly 40mph rather than 33, or 38? (But not 44, which has
to be rounded up to 50). While in Europe that 40mph limit would be 37mph
(60kph) or 43mph (70kph). (Having limits which are a multiple of 10kph
already allows Europe to have more finely tuned limits than we do. And if we
still used leagues, then our speed limits could only be 30mph or 60mph!)

--
Bartc

Old March 16th 11, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Nuxx Bar

On Mar 15, 11:42*pm, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On 15/03/2011 23:15, Adrian wrote:

Sadly Guy will not recognise that this comment is ironic. He thinks that
motorists riding fast are a massive problem (in that they may actually be
enjoying driving, which he apparently believes should be a capital
offence).

You appear to have fallen for Nuxx's repeatedly restated delusional
nonsense. I had thought better of you.

ROFL! Is that the best you can do? You really think Adrian's going
to retract what he said just because you've said "Nuxx thinks the same
thing"? Pathetic, even for you, ol' Chapstick. That really is
straight out of the playground. Most normal adults, unlike you and
Ian Jackson, do not consider agreeing with someone to be the same
thing as liking them. Even you and I agree on some things (e.g.
homeopathy). You're *really* scraping the barrel with what you've
said there, even if it is a pretty Chapmanesque thing to say.

How about proving that you don't hate cars instead? Oh, of course,
you can't, because you can't think of any anti-car measure that you
don't support, because you *do* hate cars. If only you could say
"Look, I oppose speed cameras, so I can't be anti-car", or "Look, I'm
happy with an 80mph motorway limit", or "I oppose bus lanes which are
almost always empty", but mysteriously enough, you can't truthfully
say any of those things, can you? (I wonder why?) So the desperate,
facile effort above is the only way you can think of of attempting to
counter the "Chapman hates cars" allegation. You've had *years* and
that's all you've been able to come up with. It's not going to cut
it, Guy, so why not end this silly charade that you're not anti-car
once and for all (and while you're at it, admit that you read my
posts, and that you enjoy keeping things on the boil far more than
anyone else does)?
Old March 16th 11, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Nuxx Bar

On Mar 15, 11:46*pm, Phil W Lee wrote:
FrengaX considered Mon, 14 Mar 2011
08:35:06 -0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:

As long as such 20mph limits are only in force during school hours,
e.g. indicated by flashing lights. There's nothing more ridiculous
than having to crawl past a school at 20mph at 3am, or in the middle
of the summer holidays (provided there are no extra-curricular
activities going on at the time).

Seems to me that most drivers could do with some practice at keeping
the speed under 20mph. *It should be the default in built up areas
(where most pedestrians and cyclists can be expected).
It would be easily the most effective way of reducing road casualties
available, and would be virtually free to implement, if you went about
it the right way.

So there we have it. Phil Lee wants drivers to be prosecuted for
travelling at 24mph at 3am in all built-up areas. That's on top of
wanting to frame anecdotally "dangerous" taxi drivers for kiddie-
fiddling. There's a lot of competition but I think Phil Knee may just
be *the* most anti-car poster on uk.*.
Old March 16th 11, 01:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
JNugent[_7_]

On 15/03/2011 23:53, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

On 15/03/2011 23:46, Phil W Lee wrote:

Seems to me that most drivers could do with some practice at keeping
the speed under 20mph. It should be the default in built up areas
(where most pedestrians and cyclists can be expected).
It would be easily the most effective way of reducing road casualties
available, and would be virtually free to implement, if you went about
it the right way.

It's remarkable how often I find myself doing around 20mph in such
areas, just because there is so much information to process, not because
of any posted limit.

Oh, bad luck.

You could always take some extra driving lessons. Passplus, perhaps?

Government wants lower speed limits. Doug[_3_] UK 39 December 20th 09 01:26 PM
Road speed limit cut to 50mph Mike Clayton UK 53 March 12th 09 09:06 PM
Speed limit enforcement Eugenio Mastroviti UK 19 March 15th 05 08:15 AM
speed limit Andrew Whaley UK 37 December 5th 04 10:29 PM
Speed limit Brian Drury UK 48 June 28th 04 12:45 PM