DoT Copycat campaign

Old November 19th 07, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Carol Hague

Default DoT Copycat campaign

I've just reported the Department of Transport to the Advertising
Standards Agency.

They're running a radio ad around here that lists things you shouldn't
do in case your child copies you and listing not wearing a cycle helmet
between not wearing a seatbelt and using a mobile phone while driving.
Since both those are illegal, it could easily give the impression that
not wearing a helmet is also illegal, so I've complained that the ad is
misleading.

It seems to me like a way of bringing in compulsory cycle helmets via
the back door and makes me very cross indeed.

--
Carol
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put
Old November 19th 07, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian G

Carol Hague wrote:
I've just reported the Department of Transport to the Advertising
Standards Agency.

They're running a radio ad around here that lists things you shouldn't
do in case your child copies you and listing not wearing a cycle helmet
between not wearing a seatbelt and using a mobile phone while driving.
Since both those are illegal, it could easily give the impression that
not wearing a helmet is also illegal, so I've complained that the ad is
misleading.

It seems to me like a way of bringing in compulsory cycle helmets via
the back door and makes me very cross indeed.

Well spotted.

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk
Old November 19th 07, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burtthebike

"Carol Hague" wrote in message
I've just reported the Department of Transport to the Advertising
Standards Agency.

They're running a radio ad around here that lists things you shouldn't
do in case your child copies you and listing not wearing a cycle helmet
between not wearing a seatbelt and using a mobile phone while driving.
Since both those are illegal, it could easily give the impression that
not wearing a helmet is also illegal, so I've complained that the ad is
misleading.

It seems to me like a way of bringing in compulsory cycle helmets via
the back door and makes me very cross indeed.

Thanks Carol, I heard this on my local station and noted how misleading and
inaccurate it was, but I'd forgotten to do anything about it by the time I
got home. Can you complain to the ASA online?

Old November 19th 07, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Annand

burtthebike wrote:

Can you complain to the ASA online?

Yes.
Old November 20th 07, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Carol Hague

burtthebike wrote:

"Carol Hague" wrote in message
I've just reported the Department of Transport to the Advertising
Standards Agency.

Thanks Carol, I heard this on my local station and noted how misleading and
inaccurate it was, but I'd forgotten to do anything about it by the time I
got home. Can you complain to the ASA online?

You can indeed. There's a link on their How To Complain page to a form
you can fill in :- http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/how_to_complain/

Sorry for the slow reply, the ISP's been playing silly beggars.

Old November 21st 07, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

On Nov 19, 5:42 pm, (Carol Hague) wrote:
I've just reported the Department of Transport to the Advertising
Standards Agency.

They're running a radio ad around here that lists things you shouldn't
do in case your child copies you and listing not wearing a cycle helmet
between not wearing a seatbelt and using a mobile phone while driving.
Since both those are illegal, it could easily give the impression that
not wearing a helmet is also illegal, so I've complained that the ad is
misleading.

Did they include driving 100m to the corner shop instead of walking /
cycling?

...d
Old November 21st 07, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Carol Hague

David Martin wrote:

On Nov 19, 5:42 pm, (Carol Hague) wrote:
I've just reported the Department of Transport to the Advertising
Standards Agency.

They're running a radio ad around here that lists things you shouldn't
do in case your child copies you

Did they include driving 100m to the corner shop instead of walking /
cycling?

I suspect you will not be overly surprised to learn that they did no
such thing.

Old November 21st 07, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

David Martin said the following on 21/11/2007 09:30:

Did they include driving 100m to the corner shop instead of walking /
cycling?

I always thought that was one of these urban myths - I mean, people
wouldn't really do that, would they?

Well, yes they do!!! Anything less than a mile and I don't even bother
getting the bike out, never mind the car!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Letter to copycat T.J. Howell leo Unicycling 5 December 19th 06 12:16 PM
campaign t-shirt Dane Buson General 0 June 12th 06 06:23 PM
campaign t-shirt Dane Buson Social Issues 0 June 12th 06 06:23 PM
Keep Your Head campaign JohnB UK 0 September 23rd 05 05:50 PM
Way to Go campaign Simon Geller UK 2 January 30th 04 05:09 PM