Is this a superhuman cyclist?

Old February 15th 08, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AlanF

Default Is this a superhuman cyclist?

From BBC site - around the world in 195 days

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...al/7245381.stm

By my reckoning that's averaging 92.3 miles a day which is some going
for 195 days.

Respect

Old February 15th 08, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

AlanF said the following on 15/02/2008 09:59:
From BBC site - around the world in 195 days

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...al/7245381.stm

By my reckoning that's averaging 92.3 miles a day which is some going
for 195 days.

That's a hell of a mental effort, never mind physical!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 15th 08, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

AlanF writtificated

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...al/7245381.stm

By my reckoning that's averaging 92.3 miles a day which is some going
for 195 days.

I'm wondering if that mileage includes ferry crossings etc, though I
presume not. 90-odd miles a day isn't that hard, but averaging it over 195
days just makes my mind boggle.

Respect

Aye. It'll take a catastrophic series of p*nctures to stop him smashing
the world record this afternoon.
Old February 15th 08, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PoB

"AlanF" wrote in message
| From BBC site - around the world in 195 days
|
| http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...al/7245381.stm
|
| By my reckoning that's averaging 92.3 miles a day which is some going
| for 195 days.

I was just about to post something similar myself. I find 92.3 miles in one
day painful, once. With minimal load. Every day for 195 days, with a full
touring kit (tent, cooker, clothes...) is phenomenal.

| Respect

Absolutely. Follow the links around on the beeb, and you can get a view of
his kit - custom bike using a Rohloff apparently....

pOB

Old February 15th 08, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

PoB wrote:

Absolutely. Follow the links around on the beeb, and you can get a view of
his kit - custom bike using a Rohloff apparently....

Possibly of interest to the "Custom bike of my dreams" OP, with
butterflies rather than drops and a Rohloff to take care of the gearing.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old February 15th 08, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
_[_2_]

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:59:46 +0000, AlanF wrote:

From BBC site - around the world in 195 days

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...al/7245381.stm

By my reckoning that's averaging 92.3 miles a day which is some going
for 195 days.

Look, it's only work.

Let's say he averages 10 miles an hour. That's only 10 hours work each day
- and as it's a bicycle, even loaded for touring, there will be some
reasonable percentage of the time when the work is not particularly hard.

Brickies probably do as much or more.
Old February 15th 08, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Sales

"AlanF" wrote ...

From BBC site - around the world in 195 days

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...al/7245381.stm

By my reckoning that's averaging 92.3 miles a day which is some going for
195 days.

Respect

Chas Messenger, who used to run the Tour of Britain, went round the world 40
years ago at 100 mpd, and across the USA averaged 200 mpd. If I remember
correctly.

Mike Sales

Old February 15th 08, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Some totally anonymous person said the following on 15/02/2008 12:59:

Look, it's only work.

Let's say he averages 10 miles an hour. That's only 10 hours work each day
- and as it's a bicycle, even loaded for touring, there will be some
reasonable percentage of the time when the work is not particularly hard.

I'm sure I'm not the only that will look forward to your ride report :-)
Start with something simple like LE-JOG in 9 days. The ride can't be
tarmac all the way either.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 15th 08, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 15 Feb, 12:59, _
wrote:
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:59:46 +0000, AlanF wrote:
*From BBC site - around the world in 195 days

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...al/7245381.stm

By my reckoning that's averaging 92.3 miles a day which is some going
for 195 days.

Look, it's only work.

Let's say he averages 10 miles an hour. *That's only 10 hours work each day
- and as it's a bicycle, even loaded for touring, there will be some
reasonable percentage of the time when the work is not particularly hard.

Brickies probably do as much or more.

You done much travelling in the third world, then?

I've done a fair bit of cycling, and some travelling in less
developed countries. I've also done some multi-day trips on a bike and
on foot.
In my view it's a hugely impressive achievement, both mentally and
physically but in particular the combination of both...

Respect, indeed...

Sincerely,
W.
Old February 15th 08, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin MacDonald

On 15 Feb, 13:09, "Mike Sales" wrote:
Chas Messenger, who used to run the Tour of Britain, went round the world 40
years ago at 100 mpd, and across the USA averaged 200 mpd. If I remember
correctly.

In which case he would have done the trip in something less than 180
days. Given that the record before today was 276 days, something
doesn't add up. Did he get lost a lot?