What do you think it the best bike for the city

Old April 22nd 08, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bornfree

Default What do you think it the best bike for the city

What do you think it the best bike for the city? More specifically,
London. I'm thinking in the region of £300 (online price, rather than
high street)

Apparently a "racing" bike is the fastest, but not very good on poorer
road surfaces. If you have a road / racing bike (are they the same?),
would love to know what you think of them.
Old April 22nd 08, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

bornfree writtificated

What do you think it the best bike for the city? More specifically,
London. I'm thinking in the region of £300 (online price, rather than
high street)

Apparently a "racing" bike is the fastest, but not very good on poorer
road surfaces. If you have a road / racing bike (are they the same?),
would love to know what you think of them.

I *love* road bikes, but you have to have good lungs and strong thighs to
get the most out of them. They're designed to be ridden fast and hard,
and going slow on one isn't great - twitchy handling, hard saddle that
doesn't get on with jeans, brake levers in the wrong place, tyres so hard
you can feel each individual chip of tarmac (realy - each piece. Through
yer bum). Trundling about the city on one isn't great. In fact, they're
awful for the city! I've used one almost exclusively for the last four
or five years, so I should know! The only thing worse than a road bike
in the city is a knobbly tyred mountain bike with full suspension. No
matter how fast you try to go, it's s-l-o-w.

If putting together a great city bike it'd have:

-Wide, *slick* high pressure tyres - at city speeds these will be more
efficient than narrower racing tyres yet still wheely comfy.

-Proper full length mudguards - because a wet crack and brown stains on
yer trousers is never going to be fashionable.

-Rear rack to take panniers, 'cos a sweaty back in summer ain't nice

-An 'upright' riding position with handlebars higher than the seat.
Better view over the cars in front, easier to check over your shoulder.

-Hub gears, because adjusting the gears to get them sweet is just too
tiresome

-Dynamo lights, so I don't get caught out when the clocks change

-The biggest D lock I can buy

Old April 22nd 08, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tracker1972

bornfree wrote:
What do you think it the best bike for the city? More specifically,
London. I'm thinking in the region of £300 (online price, rather than
high street)

Apparently a "racing" bike is the fastest, but not very good on poorer
road surfaces. If you have a road / racing bike (are they the same?),
would love to know what you think of them.

My Claud Butler Urban 300 was about £300, kept me happy commuting in
Sheffield. The suspension fork was probably overkill along with the
suspension seatpost, but it was a fairly smooth ride.
Don't regret getting it, but that may just be because it got me back
into cycling!

Tracker.
Old April 22nd 08, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:57:30 +0000, Mark T wrote:
The only thing worse than a road bike
in the city is a knobbly tyred mountain bike with full suspension. No
matter how fast you try to go, it's s-l-o-w.

Mine goes pretty fast in town (although no rear suspension). I'm looking
forward to swapping over to my road tyres this weekend!

peter
Old April 22nd 08, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:31:14 -0700 (PDT), bornfree
said in
:

What do you think it the best bike for the city? More specifically,
London. I'm thinking in the region of £300 (online price, rather than
high street)

The Brompton. There is no finer machine on the mean streets :-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old April 22nd 08, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bornfree

On 22 Apr, 18:57, Mark T
pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_ reply*.com.invalid
wrote:
bornfree writtificated

[...]

Hmm. I like your points very much! I must say what you describe sounds
an awful lot like my current bike. It's a Raleigh Boardwalk lite.
(Folding bike with Dahon technology, apparently)

Here's a picture of it. http://i25.tinypic.com/2uf4zk4.jpg

I really fell in love with this bike when I got it. Comfy, light,
fast, fairly priced, lots of features. The only thing is I don't much
like being overtaken by Roadies whizzing by at twice my speed. I was
thinking about getting a road bike but I am not a hardcore cyclist and
by the sounds of it, it's not for me. I am happy travelling any
distance within 4 miles.. I think for longer distances I might get a
low power motorbike.
Old April 23rd 08, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

I commute on a Trek 4400, the front suspension protests against the
thousand shocks flesh is heir to.

I know people who commute on their tourers but I daren't risk my Dawes
being nicked so I save that for Norfolk jaunts.

I see more and more people on fixies and although I'm not prejudiced
most fixie riders are mental.

Old April 23rd 08, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

bornfree wrote:
What do you think it the best bike for the city? More specifically,
London. I'm thinking in the region of £300 (online price, rather than
high street)

Apparently a "racing" bike is the fastest, but not very good on poorer
road surfaces. If you have a road / racing bike (are they the same?),
would love to know what you think of them.

What exactly do you want to do with the bike?

Racers are great for covering ground as fast as possible while carrying
a rider and pretty much nothing else, but lots of people want to carry
other stuff, or aren't in such a hurry because they prefer comfort (a
racer beating a trundler by 10 minutes but needing a shower on arrival
doesn't actually save much/any time).

For city use, like Guy, I think a Brompton folder is hard to beat, but
you'll need to up your budget. Having said that, you'll have to up your
budget if you want a racer worthy of the name.

The option that will get you a lot of bike for your money at £300 is a
hybrid. Don't forget to add in mudguards (unless you like being covered
in dirty water every time the road is wet), lights and a lock. And you
can do worthwhile things pumping up the budget for a hybrid too, which
will get you better components, built hub dynamo lighting etc. A hybrid
will carry things other than you better than a racer, in more comfort.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 23rd 08, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 22 Apr, 23:41, bornfree wrote:
Here's a picture of it.http://i25.tinypic.com/2uf4zk4.jpg

I really fell in love with this bike when I got it. Comfy, light,
fast, fairly priced, lots of features. The only thing is I don't much
like being overtaken by Roadies whizzing by at twice my speed. I was
thinking about getting a road bike but I am not a hardcore cyclist and
by the sounds of it, it's not for me. I am happy travelling any
distance within 4 miles.. I think for longer distances I might get a
low power motorbike.

You're always going to get people faster than you. Spending money on
a new bike will just make it more annoying when they zoom past. It's
the same with cars, being stuck in traffic in a fast car is much more
frustrating than being stuck in traffic in an old banger.

For 300 quid you can get a perfectly good city bike, but you aren't
going to get a superbike to help you win races. You might find
something with bigger wheels rolls a bit easier, especially on rough
roads, but I haven't got any experience with small wheeled bikes.

Having said that, a new bike is a great boost to enthusiasm and will
make you pedal harder and enjoy it more, at least for a bit. So why
not accept that your current bike is ideal for practical city use and
get something lightweight, stripped-down, probably second-hand and
most likely less reliable that you don't use very often but fetch out
on sunny days when you want to take on the roadies in the "commuter
challenge" and have fun?
Old April 23rd 08, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article e442ca95-99e9-4273-be3d-4ca8ab9b2049
@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com, bornfree
says...

Hmm. I like your points very much! I must say what you describe sounds
an awful lot like my current bike. It's a Raleigh Boardwalk lite.
(Folding bike with Dahon technology, apparently)

Here's a picture of it.
http://i25.tinypic.com/2uf4zk4.jpg

I really fell in love with this bike when I got it. Comfy, light,
fast, fairly priced, lots of features. The only thing is I don't much
like being overtaken by Roadies whizzing by at twice my speed.

That's probably more about the rider than the bike. Having said that, I
wonder if your bike setup is right - it looks to me that either your
seat is much too low or your bars are much too high. Also make sure you
keep the tyres properly inflated, as that can make quite a difference to
efficiency - get a track pump with pressure gauge if you don't already
have one.

Getting to the New Jersey High Point to Cape May Bike Route from New York City, Jersey City, and Hoboken www.GETNJ.com Rides 0 January 13th 08 02:26 PM
[LCC City] City of London Cycle Accident Assessment Study spindrift UK 47 June 1st 06 10:34 AM
New bike shop in Sydney .. City Bike Depot dgarry Australia 9 October 21st 05 09:29 AM
FS: Roberts city bike Hunter UK 0 August 31st 05 05:15 PM
Regular bike vs shock fork front bike on city streets ? [email protected] Techniques 7 August 16th 05 03:25 AM