tour de france : scandalous

Old July 22nd 03, 10:57 PM
Zoot Katz

Default Spectators: was tour de france : scandalous

Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:39:38 GMT,
m,
Zippy the Pinhead wrote:

Remember a couple of Giros ago when some guy on a mountain stage
smacked some heckler right in the jaw and got disqualified?

I saw a short loop from French TV of what looked like a cyclo-cross
race. One competitor shoved another and a fan charged the guy doing
the shoving, knocked him from his bike and threw him off the bridge
into the water below.
--
zk
Old July 23rd 03, 12:36 AM
Sorni

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:39:38 GMT,
m,
Zippy the Pinhead wrote:

Remember a couple of Giros ago when some guy on a mountain stage
smacked some heckler right in the jaw and got disqualified?

I saw a short loop from French TV of what looked like a cyclo-cross
race. One competitor shoved another and a fan charged the guy doing
the shoving, knocked him from his bike and threw him off the bridge
into the water below.

I'd bet a buck and a quarter that that was staged.

Cynical Bill

Old July 23rd 03, 12:44 AM
James Hodson

Default tour de france : scandalous

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:01:17 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

I guess your crazies are too busy shooting up schools or random
civilians :-/

OTOH, Guy, our most recent sporting crazy ran along the Hanger
Straight in the wrong direction with cars racing towards him at
180+mph.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg
Old July 23rd 03, 01:11 AM
Antti Salonen

Sorni wrote:

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message

I saw a short loop from French TV of what looked like a cyclo-cross
race. One competitor shoved another and a fan charged the guy doing
the shoving, knocked him from his bike and threw him off the bridge
into the water below.

I'd bet a buck and a quarter that that was staged.

I've seen it too. I don't think there was anything in it that made it
look staged. It's certainly very funny and almost unbelievable, but
such things do happen. Here's a video:

http://www.softlab.ntua.gr/~sivann/pub/bikeRace.mpg

-as

Old July 23rd 03, 01:49 AM
Zoot Katz

23 Jul 2003 00:11:37 GMT, ,
Antti Salonen wrote:

It's certainly very funny and almost unbelievable, but
such things do happen.

I didn't think it funny at all. Streams are often shallow and rocky.
That thug had no business interfering with the race.
--
zk
Old July 23rd 03, 09:59 AM
W K

wrote:

I guess your crazies are too busy shooting up schools or random
civilians :-/

OTOH, Guy, our most recent sporting crazy ran along the Hanger
Straight in the wrong direction with cars racing towards him at
180+mph.

Theres a right direction?

Old July 23rd 03, 09:19 PM
James Hodson

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:59:27 +0000 (UTC), "W K"
wrote:

Theres a right direction?

There certainly is: t'other direction.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg
Old July 24th 03, 02:26 AM
James Messick

"Mark Weaver" wrote in message

"Walter Mitty" wrote in message
Am enjoying my first full Tour on the TV : (an evening job helps)

Lance was just knocked off his bike by a ****ing stupid spectator. What

are
the "rules" here?? Will Ulrich pull up and let Lance get back into the

race
or is it just "rub of the green" as they say in Golf?

That spectator should be hung by his toes. All that effort, training,
determination, cat & mouse ruined by one foolish asshole.

Not clear it was the spectator's fault -- he (or she) was just holding a

bag
of something standing alongside the route and Lance cut very close to the
edge of the road and caught his brake lever on it. The fan wasn't one of
those jumping out in front and back and the last moment -- he was just
standing there.

More accurately...

I was watching this shortly after it happened. I have a Tivo like divice so
I quickly repeated the footage. I had to watch it severl times in
slow-mothion to figure out what happened. The yellow bag that caught Lance's
bars was held by a small boy, mostly obscured by a much larger man.
Apparently the boy swung the bag out, but I don't think he did it
maliciously. Lance was gracious in taking the blame. Those spectators scare
me.