Need advice re. buying bike

Old July 21st 03, 02:45 AM
Pat

Default Need advice re. buying bike

x-no-archive:yes

A guy wants to sell me his 10 - 15 year old Trek 1500 for $250. He says

the
derailleur needs adjusting and that it needs new tires. Other than that

and
a general tune-up, he says the bike is in good shape. Cosmetically at
least, that appears to my untrained eye to be true.

Assuming he's being honest, does that sound like a good buy?

This is my first time posting to this group, so I hope the content of the
post is appropriate.

Thanks.

Andrew Short
Dallas, TX

How about asking him to let you have a bike mechanic look it over and then
take it to your local bike shop. People do that with cars all the time. If
he's being honest, he shouldn't object.

Pat

Old July 21st 03, 02:26 PM
Pbwalther

A guy wants to sell me his 10 - 15 year old Trek 1500 for $250. He says the
derailleur needs adjusting and that it needs new tires. Other than that and
a general tune-up, he says the bike is in good shape. Cosmetically at
least, that appears to my untrained eye to be true.

Assuming he's being honest, does that sound like a good buy?

This is my first time posting to this group, so I hope the content of the
post is appropriate.

Thanks.

Andrew Short
Dallas, TX

I am not familiar with that particular bike. But I can make some general
comments as to it being a "good buy". A brand new shimano 105 equipped bike
can be had for around $1000. The old bike will be lacking some of the nicer
features. It will probably have down tube shifting rather than shifting up on
the brake hoods. And it will probably have 7 gears on the rear cog as opposed
to the 9 gears that are standard now.

When you have the mechanic look at the bike (that was good advice from the
chains, rear clusters or freewheels and so on and if not, can they get them
easily?

There really is nothing wrong with a 10-15 year old bike. And if you are cash
limited, you can get a very good ride for not so much cash. It will be missing
a few features but it will still be very rideable.

So if cash is no problem, there are better bikes available now. But if saving
some $ is important and you don't mind not having the lastest bells and
whistles, it is just fine. Your call.
Old July 23rd 03, 07:11 PM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 01:00:41 GMT, Andrew Short
wrote:

A guy wants to sell me his 10 - 15 year old Trek 1500 for $250. He says
the
derailleur needs adjusting and that it needs new tires. Other than that
and
a general tune-up, he says the bike is in good shape. Cosmetically at
least, that appears to my untrained eye to be true.

Assuming he's being honest, does that sound like a good buy?

IIRC, a 1500 is a low-end model [I think I was looking at them for $600 US
last year). At 10-15 years old, it should not be $250; in perfect
condition, maybe $150, but needing tires, adjusting, and general tune-up,
probably $75 or less.

Consider rescuing a road bike on garbage day, if you see one...I'm happy
with the results I got (my rescued Peugeot is more comfortable then my very
expensive new purchased road bike)

--
Rick Onanian