NYPD cops loses badge and gun after cyclist assault.

Old July 30th 08, 01:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_4_]

Default NYPD cops loses badge and gun after cyclist assault.

urillan wrote:
On Jul 29, 2:14 pm, JNugent wrote:
spindrift wrote:

[ ... ]

[A] cyclist was among over a hundred other "Critical Mass" riders
passing through Times Square Friday evening, when witnesses say -- and
as a video posted on YouTube shows -- two officers approach him.
What happens next is disturbing. One of the officers intercepts the
rider, identified as Christopher Long of Bloomfield, N.J., and
apparently deliberately shoves him hard as he rides by, sending the
cyclist hard to the pavement.
Craig Radhuber was taking part in the ride, and witnessed the
incident.

[ ... ]

Policehave placed the officer, identified as PatrickPogan, on desk
duty pending the outcome of a department investigation.Pogantold
officials that Long was obstructing traffic and that the biker was
actually trying to run him down.
Long, 29, was charged with attempted assault, resisting arrest, and
disorderly conduct.
He'll make an appearance in court on August 5.
End quote.
The cyclist could have landed on a pram or elderly person on the
pavement. How the flip they can consider those charges against the
cyclist is beyond me.

Perhaps thepoliceofficer is completely right and perhaps the
totally-non-independent witness is not being as honest as a genuinely
independent witness would be?
I've certainly got no way of knowing - have you?
We'll just have to let the court decide, won't we?

Nope.. we can decide ourselves really. The cop clearly lied. In
papers filed in Manhattan Criminal Court, Officer Pogan said the
cyclist named "forcing multiple vehicles to stop abruptly or change
their direction to avoid hitting the defendant" which is a lie since
the video showed the street in both directions and there were no
vehicles.

We must have seen two different videos.

In the one I saw, the cyclist was visible only over a very short time
and distance. I have no way of knowing what the police officer saw
before the cyclist came into camera shot (he certainly seemed to be
reacting to something that happened "off stage").

Since you are so bullish about it, I can only assume that you have
evidence not available in that video I saw.

Further, the officer stated "that upon instructing the defendant to
cease the above described conduct, the defendant steered the
defendant's bicycle in the direction of the deponent and drove
defendants bicycle directly into deponents body, causing deponent to
fll to the ground and causing deponent to suffer lacerations on
deponent's forearms"

The video deftly disproves those claims, demonstrating the cop's
claims and even testimony under oath to be unreliable.

Perhaps you have extra evidence (as mentioned above). But in the way of
these things, you won't be in a position to actually do anything about
it. You'll just have to let the American justice system deal with it
because whether any of us like it or not, our opinions count for not
much in this instance.
Old July 30th 08, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 03:25:36 +0100 someone who may be Phil W Lee
phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote this:-

Looking at the video he got what he deserved.

Not until he's jailed far assault and perjury - along with his
partner, who assisted him and then conspired to try and frame the
victim.

As I understand it the criminal hasn't even been arrested, he has
just been put away from the public while the police mix up the
whitewash (sorry, investigate themselves).

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old July 30th 08, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
urillan

On Jul 29, 8:18*pm, JNugent wrote:
urillanwrote:
On Jul 29, 2:14 pm, JNugent wrote:
spindrift wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

much in this instance.- Hide quoted text -

The full video shows the view before the cops are in the frame, and is
in the opposite direction from the body-check portion. It shows that
cars / traffic is stopped already at the block before the
confrontation.

See : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUkiyBVytRQ

Even despite the traffic offense, the cop clearly lied about the
cyclist hitting him and the source and seriousness of the cops wounds.

What matters is never what the jury finds... juries used to side for
slave-owners. All that matters is who is right, their actions,
reasons and motivations.

The officer clearly acted without honour and his partner failed to
bring the truth to anyones attention making him a bigger coward.
Old July 30th 08, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_4_]

urillan wrote:

JNugent wrote:
urillanwrote:
JNugent wrote:
spindrift wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

The video you cite is just a longer version of the one I'd already seen.
It does not show whatever it was that the police officer was reacting to
to the viewer's right out of shot, simply because the camera is facing
the wrong way to see whatever that was.

Even despite the traffic offense, the cop clearly lied about the
cyclist hitting him and the source and seriousness of the cops wounds.
What matters is never what the jury finds... juries used to side for
slave-owners.

Er, I beg your pardon... certainly not in Her Britannic Majesty's United
Kingdom and Dominions! You must be thinking of somewhere else and some
other legal system.

All that matters is who is right, their actions, reasons and motivations.

Well, over here, we (as a society) prefer an *objective* view of who it
is that's right. And individually, we don't necessarily go along with
the view being expounded by whoever we are talking to.

The officer clearly acted without honour and his partner failed to
bring the truth to anyones attention making him a bigger coward.

Hmmm... you spelled "honour" correctly. Now I'm less sure of which side
of the Atlantic you were posting from.