dress code for commuting to a business meeting?

Old November 6th 11, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
M5usr[_2_]

Default dress code for commuting to a business meeting?

How do you commute to a business meeting?

I am looking for a dress code that works on a bike when you commute to
an investor meeting or meetings where suits normally seems to be the
uniform .

Here in Denmark we have many Ministers and members of parliament that
commute to and from government . They all were suits or lady suits .
However all taxi in Copenhagen has bike racks as standard issue.

One way would of cause be to pack a suit and then change on the sidewalk
, when I have reached the office . But I am looking for inputs .

Chris
Old November 7th 11, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 21:04:33 +0100, M5usr wrote:

I am looking for a dress code that works on a bike when you commute to
an investor meeting or meetings where suits normally seems to be the
uniform .

The one time I attended a formal meeting, I changed clothes in the
ladies room -- thank goodness there was a handicapped stall, and even
so, putting on pantyhose was not at all easy.

One thing to bear in mind is that a suit is a ceremonial garment
intended to convey the message "I did not come here to do manual
labor." Therefore, it isn't particularly suitable for riding a bike.
It's expensive to clean, easy to damage, and it restricts the
movements of your arms.

I once knew a fellow who pulled slacks on over his cycling shorts,
then wore the shorts as underwear until he got a chance to change --
but this fellow didn't even own a suit.

A lot depends on how far you have to ride: if it's a distance that
you can cover on a "comfort" (crank-forward) bike, and if you don't
work up a sweat, half-gaiters to protect your pants legs may be all
you need. Or, you might be able to make the trip on a road bike if
you take off the coat.

The saddle area is going to wear through fairly quick on any pants
that are worn on a bike.

If there is a fairly inconspicuous route from the bike-parking area to
a men's room, I'd suggest affixing a suit box to the bike.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old November 7th 11, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"Joy Beeson" wrote in message
[...]

Forget about wearing a suit or any kind of normal clothing. Wear cycling
clothing and carry your work clothing with you and change into it when you
are done cycling. Only a nincompoop would not understand the change of
clothing routine.

However, for a contrary view, read the following:

When I was doing week long organized bike tours I would wear my cycling
clothing 24/7 until the week was over. I dislike the fastidious types who
are always changing their clothing after the day's ride. Such types should
should never get on a bicycle in the first place.

To sweat is normal on a bicycle. Anyone who does not like the smell of sweat
should stay at least 5 to 10 feet away from others. The only reason for
getting any closer is if you want to make a baby with a female. Some
cyclists are dumb enough to think they have to take a shower after every
bike ride however brief. And then they blather for hours about how good it
feels. Needless to say, Ed Dolan the Great holds all such panty waists in
contempt. The world is full of sissies. Try not to be one of them.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 8th 11, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
M5usr[_2_]

On 11/07/2011 06:49 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
"Joy Beeson" wrote in message
[...]

I really like that one about the ladies room , imagine what kind of
acquaintance you can get when taking off the pants. I guess the same
could be the case in the mens room . From now on I will utilize the
ladies room as dress-room LOL .

I do agree that a suit can be necessary , and it all comes down to if
you need something , or somebody need something from you .

I don't really like the sound of sweat , but true we are humans . If you
are in a classroom full of teens , you feel nothing , however if you
enter the same room coming from fresh air , what a stink-

Here in Denmark we do get closer to each other than 3 feet , particular
in public transportation . An associate of mine , always were safety
shoes and work jeans with reflex and knee patting . He is traveling a
lot in public transportation , perhaps this kind of uniform is needed here?

With my question , I am looking for some kind of compromise and social
acceptances for the bike peoples dress code . A bit like where the SUV
is today . 50 yeas ago 4x4 was only for soldiers or farmers , business
people were driving small cars. Today many drives SUVs , but the SUV of
today is very different from the jeep of the 60s .

regards
Chris
Old November 8th 11, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"M5usr" wrote in message
[...]
I don't really like the sound of sweat , but true we are humans . If you
are in a classroom full of teens , you feel nothing , however if you
enter the same room coming from fresh air , what a stink-

Everything "stinks" one way or another. Why make discriminations? I know
folks who faint at the smell of an air freshener. On the other hand, I know
folks who work on hog farms and can't smell a thing. What stinks and what
doesn't stink is all in the mind. It is best to get a mind that does not
take much notice of what smells.

I can think of two exceptions to the above rule of thumb. One is the smell
of natural gas and the other is the smell of spoiled food. To ignore either
is to risk extinction. A smelly human will never hurt you in the least. Just
keep away from all humans at least 5 feet and live happily ever after.

Old November 10th 11, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
M5usr[_2_]

On 11/07/2011 03:59 AM, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 21:04:33 +0100, M5usr wrote:

I am looking for a dress code that works on a bike when you commute to
an investor meeting or meetings where suits normally seems to be the
uniform .

The one time I attended a formal meeting, I changed clothes in the
ladies room -- thank goodness there was a handicapped stall, and even
so, putting on pantyhose was not at all easy.

This is part of the new danish government (or regime) bicycling to the
queen. Don't know how the queens ladies room is

scroll 25% down
http://www.velorbis.com/classic-vint...copenhagen-way

Cycling and dress clothes? [email protected][_2_] Social Issues 0 April 13th 08 01:43 AM
How To Buy Perfect Dress Shoes [email protected] Techniques 0 February 1st 08 05:05 PM
How far would you ride to a business meeting? davidof UK 12 September 26th 05 09:36 AM
SPD dress shoes? qtq Techniques 42 October 4th 04 07:20 AM
Commuting and business clothes tricks Justin Seiferth General 5 July 12th 04 07:03 PM