Helmet Poll: First Hand Experience

Old May 9th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Helmet Poll: First Hand Experience

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
I'm looking for three data points he

As your measure is always the subjective 'feel' of the reporting
person you are not collecting data, you are collecting impressions,
i.e. noise.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer
Old May 9th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Type 1:

hit an immovable object--tore my thumb ligament and fell backwards onto
pavement -- head hit first
helmet shattered, slight concussion but no fracture of skull
Reasonable sure I would have suffered brain damage if I hadn't been wearing
a helmet

Jeffrey R Fischman, MD

"Ozark Bicycle" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for three data points he

1) My head struck on object (pavement, vehicle, another cyclist, etc.)
whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and I feel the helmet lessened
the extent of my injuries.

or

2) My head struck on object whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and
I doubt it either lessened or worsened the extent of my injuries (i.e.,
the helmet made no difference).

or

3) My head struck an object whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and
I feel the helmet worsened the extent of my injuries.

Please limit responses to the three scenarios as outlined above. As
simple or as detailed as you like. And, *first hand* accounts only
(i.e., it happened to you). And no responses of "studies show",
"statistics prove", etc.
(And I'm counting on everyone's honesty.)

Old May 9th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jeff wrote:
Type 1:

hit an immovable object--tore my thumb ligament and fell backwards
onto pavement -- head hit first
helmet shattered, slight concussion but no fracture of skull
Reasonable sure I would have suffered brain damage if I hadn't been
wearing a helmet

Jeffrey R Fischman, MD

Well, how smart can a /doctor/ be compared to the likes of the AHZs? LOL

Old May 9th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Per Ozark Bicycle:
1) My head struck on object (pavement, vehicle, another cyclist, etc.)
whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and I feel the helmet lessened
the extent of my injuries.

You didn't specify bicycles-only sooooo....

Drunk clipped me on my Yamaha YDS-6 when I was doing about 45-50 mph.

Did a swan dive over the bars and through the air onto the asphalt.

Cracked a perfectly good Bell cop-style fiberglass helmet, saw flashes of light
intermittently for about 2 days, probably paid my dentist's kid's way through
college.

GF's employers put me up for a couple days and fed me something from Canada
called "2-2-2's". Aspirin-like tablets with like 2 milligrams each of
caffeine, aspirin, and codeine IIRC. Great stuff for getting a night's sleep
with road rash.
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 9th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default OT: are experiences not "data"?

Helmut Springer wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
I'm looking for three data points he

As your measure is always the subjective 'feel' of the reporting
person you are not collecting data, you are collecting impressions,
i.e. noise.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer

Right, I'm looking for peoples first hand experiences/feelings. That is
data, no?

Old May 9th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Per Ozark Bicycle:
3) My head struck an object whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and
I feel the helmet worsened the extent of my injuries.

Riding along a dedicated bike path. Took a mini-deadhead through the helmet
right above an eye.

Could go either way on that one.

On one hand, it could have been nasty if the branch had hit my eye socket and
not been stopped in the helmet. OTOH, maybe I would have seen the branch
without the helmet/visor on.
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 9th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

3) My head struck an object whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and
I feel the helmet worsened the extent of my injuries.

Windsurfing. Going a good 25 mph. Got catapulted by a gust, over the bars,
into the water sort of on the area between my shoulders.

Wound up laying in the water unable to feel anything in my arms for several
minutes. Messed up my neck for a number of weeks. I could feel the water
catch on the helmet and yank my neck.
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 9th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 9 May 2006 13:44:29 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
wrote:

Helmut Springer wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
I'm looking for three data points he

As your measure is always the subjective 'feel' of the reporting
person you are not collecting data, you are collecting impressions,
i.e. noise.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer

Right, I'm looking for peoples first hand experiences/feelings. That is
data, no?

Dear Ozark,

It's certainly data about feelings.

Unfortunately, there is no rec.bicycles.psychology.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old May 9th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I've had a bunch of crashes with assorted injuries but only once did my
helmet play any part whatsoever.

Type 1: I was out of the saddle accelerating out of a left turn (not
especially hard, just commuting) - left pedal spindle on the downstroke
snapped and I immediately went down and my helmet hit the pavement. I
heard the helmet scrape along the road until my body and bike (still
attached to my right foot) came to a stop. The helmet saved my ear and
scalp and probably prevented my glasses from getting smashed into my face.

It would probably have been my worst bike injury except for when the car
hit me (broken shoulder). Instead it was non-head road rash and bruised
rib.

I'm a believer, not a Nazi.