LED Headlight

Old August 16th 06, 01:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle
HughMann

Default LED Headlight

Has anyone bought one of these?
Any Road Tests? At $ 60 would need to be brilliant ( haha)

'Infini Luxo 1 w Headlight' (http://tinyurl.com/g6g9k)

Bought a PowerBeam 5 lead cheapo ($15) light which is very bright but
the mounting is P155 weak and the light rattles off so I now have to
use a loop of knicker elastic to keep it on the handlebars.

Have mucked about with various homebrew lighting attemps at that are
never waterproof and are totally bog ugly.

Cheers
Hugh

--
HughMann

Old August 17th 06, 02:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

HughMann wrote:
Has anyone bought one of these?
Any Road Tests? At $ 60 would need to be brilliant ( haha)

'Infini Luxo 1 w Headlight' (http://tinyurl.com/g6g9k)

Bought a PowerBeam 5 lead cheapo ($15) light which is very bright but
the mounting is P155 weak and the light rattles off so I now have to
use a loop of knicker elastic to keep it on the handlebars.

Have mucked about with various homebrew lighting attemps at that are
never waterproof and are totally bog ugly.

For waterproofness.. I ended up screwing a 3W white luxeon straight
onto a CPU heatsink, which also acts as the mount, then silicone'd
around the whole lens/LED assembly (which also helped hold the lens on
the front). Looks fugly, but appears to be waterproof enough.

I don't think 1W is enough for a front..., maybe as a wide beam "can
you see me?", but not to see where you're going. 3W is marginal but ok
on the road for me.

Old August 17th 06, 03:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

HughMann wrote:
Has anyone bought one of these?
Any Road Tests? At $ 60 would need to be brilliant ( haha)

'Infini Luxo 1 w Headlight' (http://tinyurl.com/g6g9k)

Bought a PowerBeam 5 lead cheapo ($15) light which is very bright but
the mounting is P155 weak and the light rattles off so I now have to
use a loop of knicker elastic to keep it on the handlebars.

Have mucked about with various homebrew lighting attemps at that are
never waterproof and are totally bog ugly.

Cheers
Hugh

My mate had a similar one, and our opinion was "good for walking". Not
really bright enough for off-road riding. On road, and to be seen,
would be OK.

You might be interested to know the latest Jaycar Cattledog has them
for $30 something (maybe $39.95) - a saving of $30 off their rrp. I'm
tempted, but not for riding.

And homebrew doesn't have to be totally bog ugly - even though most of
mine are! You're the builder, *you* can make them as attractive or not
as you like. ;^) Mine aren't waterproof, either. I've had water
pooling inside the halogens on numerous occasions. They've still worked
just fine, but that's just anecdotal - I haven't done anything
scientific to test.

Have to use knicker elastic, eh? Best excuse for snowdropping I've ever
heard! ;^)

Tony F
www.thefathippy.com
Blue Mountains mtb rides and home made lights

Old August 17th 06, 03:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

thefathippy wrote:
HughMann wrote:
[...]

D'OH! Which is be for a *helmet* light - still has a 1W Luxeon or
clone, so the output would be the same.

Tony F

Old August 17th 06, 04:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
MalP

thefathippy Wrote:

And homebrew doesn't have to be totally bog uglyAint that the 'truth'

(http://www.littlefishbicycles.com/bikelight/index.html) !

--
MalP

Old August 17th 06, 05:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Random Data

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:31:37 -0700, Duncan wrote:

I don't think 1W is enough for a front..., maybe as a wide beam "can you
see me?", but not to see where you're going. 3W is marginal but ok on the
road for me.

1W is OK for up to about 15-20km/h. 3W I'm happy to pootle along a
concrete path as fast as I can go, so pushing 45 on the descents.

--
Dave Hughes |
"Soon we will be able to harness the rotational energy from Orwell's

Old August 17th 06, 06:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
MalP

thefathippy Wrote:

You might be interested to know the latest Jaycar Cattledog has them
for $30 something (maybe $39.95) - a saving of $30 off their rrp. I'm
tempted, but not for riding.
They also have a 3AA '3W Luxeon torch' (http://tinyurl.com/hp988) with a

focusable head for $50.

--
MalP

Old August 28th 06, 10:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Desmond Wong

If you look around the geographic stores have them for $20 clearance. (Sorry
can't think of the name of the store...)

I bought one, you would only want to be pushing 15-20km/h max on these

I want to mod mine with a 3W LED but can't figure out how to disassemble it
without breaking it.

For those buffs, Silicon Chip released an article using a 5W Luxeon and
using a 75mm magnifier lens, haven't gotten myself around to reading it.

"thefathippy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old August 28th 06, 11:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

Desmond Wong wrote:

For those buffs, Silicon Chip released an article using a 5W Luxeon and
using a 75mm magnifier lens, haven't gotten myself around to reading it.

Dunno why you'd want a huge lens like that. The Luxeon lens' are small,
light, cheap and built specifically for the job. About 200% more than
the usual allowable parameters on any engineering job.

Old August 28th 06, 10:56 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Snuffy

I reckon my homebrew 3x3W Luxeon lights are the ugliest...

http://www.wurple.net/lazyest-index....Bike%20Lights/

But they've survived the lovely streets of Camberwell, Burke and
Riversdale Roads on rigid forks, where, due to my early morning
doziness I have a tendancy to ride through potholes rather than
around.... Plus they're definitely shower and splash proof if not
waterproof... the amount of silicone and rubber seals I've used, it
damn well better be.....

--
Snuffy