Tire Sizes

Old October 20th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Terpelding

Default Tire Sizes

I bought a RANS fusion and encountered my first flat after the end of
the first day with the factory tires. I am considering the Schwalbe
Marathon, Marathon Plus and Marathon Supreme as replacements.

My question. The tire size right now says 26 x 1.5. The Marathons
come in a 26 x 1.5 size, the Plus(es) in 26 x 1.75 and the Supremes
with 1.6. If I choose one of the wider tires (the 1.6 or 1.75) will
it fit and what other issues might I have? Would I have to readjust
my brakes or something?

Thanks!
Old October 21st 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bernhard Agthe

Hi,

please check the tires again, there should be a second size indication
in the form of 38-559. That is a milimeter measurement of the
width-diameter. All Schwalbe tires should have that and most others
also. Actually this measurement was created after a lot of confusion
whether 1+1/2 is the same as 1.5 ;-)

If in doubt check the manual for maximum tire sizes or ask the
manufracturer.

Actually, using a tire which is too wide will result in rubbing (the
tire agains the fork or the spoilers) and eventually (growing wider) the
tire will stick. This is critical only when the tire is so wide, it fits
barely without rubbing or with minor rubbing (you might damage your fork
if the tire picks up small stones or the tire might occasionally get stuck).

So if your 26x1.5" tires are already a tight fit you might reconsider.
Also be aware that the "Plus" tires have a greater circumference (they
have an elliptical cross-section rather than a circular one).

My experience says to get the "non-Plus" tires and pump them to the
maximum pressure indicated for best protection against flats. That
should work well in most cases.

Have Fun!!

Bearing sizes, crank rotation and tire direction. Unicorn Unicycling 5 September 23rd 07 03:14 PM
tire sizes bluezfolk General 3 August 22nd 07 12:09 AM
Tire Sizes for KH 20 Unicorn Unicycling 21 July 29th 07 09:15 AM
Availability of Better Wheel and Tire Sizes 32GO Recumbent Biking 2 February 2nd 07 04:24 AM
Tube vs Tire sizes Jesse Falsone Techniques 7 December 31st 04 01:58 AM