Replacing a used front rim

Old October 22nd 18, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Replacing a used front rim

On Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 1:18:52 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 12:51:33 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 3:39:26 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 7:53:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Snipped Open every day since 1 April, 1971

The last time I did it was three or four years ago. I had two of those old Campy wheels with the almost flat rims. I pulled the two wheels apart and put the new rim on in a half hour. One of those wheels had the record hub and the other a super record hub with the high collar. I just happened to time myself and was rather surprised since that was when I was still recovering from my concussion. I even pulled all of the spokes out of the record rim and replaced them all in correct order. It was just like playing a piano. I even still have the spokes from the other wheel around here getting in the way.

But I'm never surprised at what Jay will write. He is growing worse.. I wonder if he is getting Alzheimer's?

O.K., let's see if I can wrap my Alzheimer's mind around this -- you took apart two wheels, rebuilt one of them with a new rim, tensioned, trued and stress-relieved that wheel (after having taken apart two wheels) in a half an hour. Hmmm.

-- Jay Beattie.

I think what he means is that he used loose old spokes from one wheel and put the new rim on one of the wheels and then tensioned and possibly stress relieved it all within one half hour. That's NOT counting the time it took him to take apart the wheels. I knew a guy that could build up a wheel from new parts in half an hour but he was a professional with decades of wheel building experience. I think Tom's clock was running quite slow the day he claims to have time himself to one half of an hour. Sorry Tom.

Cheers

I removed an old rim and replaced it with a different like rim using the old spokes that had been removed from the hub in the process of taking the old rim off. What do you find difficult about this? While cutting and threading new spokes would certainly absorb a lot more time throwing the old spokes into the new rim is only a matter of threading the nipples on by hand to finger tight and doing them in such an order that you can do final tightening with a spoke wrench. That ANYONE that has built wheels isn't aware that this takes only the time to make sure that you have the spoke crossings correct makes me wonder why any of you would talk about it. It never gave me a moment's problem and I only happened to notice how long it took and it didn't surprise me in the least.

What I find difficult to believe is that Jay who has shown the engineering capacity of a horse, thinks that he could build good wheels.

Old October 22nd 18, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

[...]

Taking off a rim and putting on a rim takes more than half an hour. Which did you do in half an hour? You need to be more clear with your story.

Wheel building is not engineering. It is basket weaving with some tools. I know you're addled and all, but don't be a dick. Write clearly and you will be understood. If you tell me you took a rim, some spokes and a hub and built a front wheel in half-an-hour, that is perfectly plausible.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 22nd 18, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 07:56:28 -0700, jbeattie wrote:

Wheel building has also slowed down for me because I have this mass of
old spokes and nipples and end up spending time measuring spokes and
looking at the lip on the nipple opening to determine whether it is 14
of 15g. Poor housekeeping slows the process.

BTDT.
Lesson one is not to use rubber band to bundle them.
Lesson two is tape requires them all to be cleaned.
Lesson three is string can fall apart over the years and loose labels.
lesson four is sometimes it is just easier to just buy a new lot when you
do need them.

So far the only thing that has lasted is the film canisters holding the
nipples. At least the permanent market hasn't faded on them.

Old October 22nd 18, 05:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 8:50:54 PM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 07:56:28 -0700, jbeattie wrote:

Wheel building has also slowed down for me because I have this mass of
old spokes and nipples and end up spending time measuring spokes and
looking at the lip on the nipple opening to determine whether it is 14
of 15g. Poor housekeeping slows the process.

BTDT.
Lesson one is not to use rubber band to bundle them.
Lesson two is tape requires them all to be cleaned.
Lesson three is string can fall apart over the years and loose labels.
lesson four is sometimes it is just easier to just buy a new lot when you
do need them.

So far the only thing that has lasted is the film canisters holding the
nipples. At least the permanent market hasn't faded on them.

I used paper painters tape and wrote length and "in" or "out" to maintain the orientation of used spokes -- on about 20% of my spokes, most of which are useless with modern aero and semi-aero rims. I still have a bunch of left-over 310mm spokes in a box from a 4X Weinmann Concave touring wheels I built 40 years ago. Most everything is in the 295-298 range, which means 605 ERDs and struggling to find swap-able rims. I miss the days when you could buy 14/15 spokes for $.10-.20 per. Now spokes are a significant expense and harder and harder to find for a reasonable price.

-- Jay Beattie.