on Bush and his crashes

Old August 1st 04, 05:47 AM
Boris Foelsch

Default on Bush and his crashes

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/01/we...cgr.html?8hpib

I'm not so sure about some of the commentary - I find road riding to be at
least as dangerous as off-road, but it's amusing anyway.

In their subtle way, I think they're trying to say GWB's not real smart
about staying safe on a bike.

Old August 1st 04, 03:44 PM
Mark Hickey

"Boris Foelsch" wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/01/we...cgr.html?8hpib

I'm not so sure about some of the commentary - I find road riding to be at
least as dangerous as off-road, but it's amusing anyway.

In their subtle way, I think they're trying to say GWB's not real smart
about staying safe on a bike.

Well it IS the New York Times. ;-)

I think it's great that both candidates are riding bikes, and that
both are doing it with enough abandon to crash once in a while (you
don't want a commander in chief who is scared by a little road rash).

I just wish Kerry would buy a real jersey and Bush would lose the toe
clips. Fabrizio must be horrified.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old August 1st 04, 03:56 PM
mark

"Boris Foelsch" wrote

In their subtle way, I think they're trying to say GWB's not real smart
about staying safe on a bike.

In their subtle way, I think they're trying to say GWB's not real smart,
period.
--
mark

Old August 1st 04, 04:18 PM
RonSonic

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 21:47:14 -0700, "Boris Foelsch"
wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/01/we...cgr.html?8hpib

I'm not so sure about some of the commentary - I find road riding to be at
least as dangerous as off-road, but it's amusing anyway.

In their subtle way, I think they're trying to say GWB's not real smart
about staying safe on a bike.

Yeah, Bush crashes, and I'm sure he could use more bike skills.

But... all you guys who thought GWB looked silly in that photo on his bike with
the stupid reflectors and all, TAKE A LOOK AT KERRY! OMG, this is a hoot.

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...gr02ready.html

Never have I seen a leg/bike ratio like that.

Ron
Old August 1st 04, 05:23 PM
foldedpath

RonSonic wrote in
:

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20.../01mcgr02ready
.html

Never have I seen a leg/bike ratio like that.

Ron

I think that's a bit of optical distortion, from a wide-angle lens aimed
slightly downwards. Makes the bike look too small. Here's a shot from a
different angle, longer lens:

http://tinyurl.com/44bq3

--
Mike Barrs
Old August 1st 04, 06:05 PM
Robert

Mark Hickey wrote:

"Boris Foelsch" wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/01/we...cgr.html?8hpib

I'm not so sure about some of the commentary - I find road riding to be at
least as dangerous as off-road, but it's amusing anyway.

In their subtle way, I think they're trying to say GWB's not real smart
about staying safe on a bike.

Well it IS the New York Times. ;-)

I think it's great that both candidates are riding bikes, and that
both are doing it with enough abandon to crash once in a while (you
don't want a commander in chief who is scared by a little road rash).

True, but there are some elements of this bicycle ****ing contest that
are somewhat worrying. For instance, the reference in a previous article
in the Denver Post (see earlier thread "where did all these SEROTTAS
come from???", link from "meb" on 29 July) to GWB's riding with such
fury that his Secret Service agents are getting broken collarbones and
ribs trying to keep up with him.

A bit of a shame that GWB feels the need to assert whatever virility he
may have by trying to humiliate his bodyguards who are doing their best
(poor sods) to protect him. Why does he have to try to burn his riding
mates off his peloton all the time? Gives a truer insight into his
leadership style than most would want to see.

Sounds like the kind of thing that Idi Amin used to do with *his*
security detail.

Be sure that GWB doesn't shave his legs. Hrr, hrr, . . .

I just wish Kerry would buy a real jersey and Bush would lose the toe
clips. Fabrizio must be horrified.

(pls - for us on the wrong side of the pond - who's Fabrizio?)

/Robert

Old August 1st 04, 07:03 PM
Tom Sherman

Robert wrote:

(pls - for us on the wrong side of the pond - who's Fabrizio?)

Fabrizio Mazzoleni is the defending champion of the Tour de Farce.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old August 1st 04, 08:28 PM
Kurt Tappe

I'm no Bush fan, but at least he's riding. And for off-road riding,
if you don't crash every now and then you're not riding hard enough.
:-)

-Kurt
Old August 1st 04, 09:00 PM
RonSonic

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 16:23:52 -0000, foldedpath
wrote:

RonSonic wrote in
:

Yeah, Bush crashes, and I'm sure he could use more bike skills.

But... all you guys who thought GWB looked silly in that photo on his
bike with the stupid reflectors and all, TAKE A LOOK AT KERRY! OMG,
this is a hoot.

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...gr02ready.html

Never have I seen a leg/bike ratio like that.

Ron

I think that's a bit of optical distortion, from a wide-angle lens aimed
slightly downwards. Makes the bike look too small. Here's a shot from a
different angle, longer lens:

The fisheye's one thing, but isn't why his calf is smaller than the water bottle
- it's closer to the camera..

http://tinyurl.com/44bq3

Better shot, but doesn't change much, still looks like a doofus and still has no
legs. At least he's got enough tan to avoid the "flourescent tubes with hair"
look.

Ron
Old August 1st 04, 09:19 PM
Werehatrack

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 14:56:14 GMT, "mark" wrote:

"Boris Foelsch" wrote

In their subtle way, I think they're trying to say GWB's not real smart
about staying safe on a bike.

In their subtle way, I think they're trying to say GWB's not real smart,
period.

It takes subtlety to *not* say it. It takes blindness to not see it.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.