Can you identify this overpriced uni?

Old August 10th 04, 05:07 AM
wayne

Default Can you identify this overpriced uni?

The local "antique" shop has a unicycle in stock that I have not seen
before.
It has cottered cranks, a sturdy looking frame and a 28 spoke wheel. It
also feature surface rust and an old bicycle saddle.

The shop keeper has put AUS$125- on it which is way too much.

The attached photos should help those in the know identify what brand it
is and also give an idea as to it's real value.

The first person to appease my curiosity with a correct reply wins a
cute little unicycle model that I had made in Thailand. You will need to
collect it from me in Brisbane though :-)

Wayne van Wijk.

| Attachment filename: uni whole.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/228378|

wayne - O---( -]-O U.P.D.
wayne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5276

Old August 10th 04, 05:08 AM
wayne

and here is a close up of the wheel....

| Attachment filename: uni frame.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/228379|

Old August 10th 04, 05:15 AM
bobgob

i might be wrong but that looks like a homemade uni. just judging by the
things they have used to make it.

--
bobgob - crazy monkey on a unicycle

why is it that, you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but
you can't pick your friends nose?
bobgob's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7079

Old August 10th 04, 05:27 AM
jugglerobaby

that uni looks almot exactly my first uni that i still have and learned
thoe i dont know what its name is cus it was all rusty when i got it
heheh so i dont think it is home made

--
jugglerobaby - Coker OffRoader

Thoes who walk in the Realm of Insanity Know no limits to the Realm of
Reality.
jugglerobaby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4219

Old August 10th 04, 05:55 AM
jagur

the bearing holders kinda look like ones on my 'crap cycle'
(http://tinyurl.com/4x8l7) that J-Foss possibly thought was a Concord.
the crown looks alot differant though.

--
jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

-Forget_Your_Life-

Old August 10th 04, 06:21 PM
johnfoss

Yes, same bearings as on my Japanese Concord. This suggests possibly the
same factory, but who knows? It's a safe bet you have a Japanese
unicycle from the 1970s there. I have seen that fork crown before, but
can't remember the associated name. Like my old Concord, that is just
the sticker on top of the metal. The same frame may have been sold under
many different names, just like the frames of today.

So your antique dealer can decide whether he wants to sell his outdated
unicycle, which is possibly up to 30 years old or so, or keep looking at
it for a long time. It has no intrinsic "antique" value, other than
perhaps being a rarity in Australia if few were ever sold there.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Beer me." -- Scot Cooper, at the end of a group ride all the way up and
all the way down Mt. Diablo (3300'), a 20 mile round trip of road and
trail.

Old August 12th 04, 02:26 AM
wayne

I think that I might offer him $50- for it.
Unless there are any other Brisbane unicyclists looking for a 20" uni.

Wayne.

Old August 12th 04, 03:13 AM
TonyMelton

I'd agree that its worth no more than $50. It needs a new saddle and
seatpost to make it rideable for more than a few minutes. If you explain
this to the seller he might realise that it ain't worth $125.

+0}\{y

--
TonyMelton - www.unicycle.co.nz

See some photos of the first 'NZ MUni Weekend'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/NZ-MUni-Weekend-2004)
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118