disc brakes - new wheels ?

Old August 11th 04, 03:00 PM
David

Default disc brakes - new wheels ?

I have a bike fitted with XT wheels and XT V-Brakes. If I want to fit
disc brakes, what expense is involved ? Do I need completely new
wheels too ?
Any help appreciated.

Dave
Old August 11th 04, 03:27 PM
davek

David wrote:
If I want to fit
disc brakes, what expense is involved ? Do I need completely new
wheels too ?

You need new hubs at least - ones with somewhere to fit the discs to.

d.
Old August 11th 04, 05:23 PM
Chris Davies

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:27:13 +0000 (UTC), davek wrote:

David wrote:
If I want to fit
disc brakes, what expense is involved ? Do I need completely new
wheels too ?

You need new hubs at least - ones with somewhere to fit the discs to.

d.

Also make sure your frame and forks have disc mounts. This is very
unlikely to be a problem with a modern bike, but do check before you get
your wheels rebuilt. BTW, look at a wheel rebuild to cost 10-40 quid.

Chris
--
|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me
Old August 11th 04, 05:35 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , David
') wrote:

I have a bike fitted with XT wheels and XT V-Brakes. If I want to fit
disc brakes, what expense is involved ? Do I need completely new
wheels too ?
Any help appreciated.

If you have disk hubs, you won't need new wheels. You can identify disk
hubs because they have a disk mount with six (I think 5mm) bolt holes
in it on the left hand side which is very obvious. It's perfectly safe
run non disk-specific rims with disk brakes - what you mustn't do is
run disk specific rims with rim brakes.

If you don't have disk hubs it would be perfectly possible to get disk
hubs and, provided the diameter spoke hole ring was the same you ought
to be able to rebuild the wheels with your existing spokes and rims;
but this is a faff and it may be less hassle just to get new wheels. If
you do rebuild your wheels remember that you cannot use radial spoking
with disk wheels - but then I've never seen a mountain bike with a
radially spoked wheel anyway.

Anagram: I'm soon broke.
Old August 12th 04, 07:55 AM
David

If you don't have disk hubs it would be perfectly possible to get disk
hubs and, provided the diameter spoke hole ring was the same you ought
to be able to rebuild the wheels with your existing spokes and rims;
but this is a faff and it may be less hassle just to get new wheels. If
you do rebuild your wheels remember that you cannot use radial spoking
with disk wheels - but then I've never seen a mountain bike with a
radially spoked wheel anyway.

I took my bike into a shop last night and I will need new wheels
(which I suppose means new or refitted tyres, and all the rest of the
crap that needs to be installed. He quoted me a price way above what I
expected. I think it will have to wait until I get a new bike !
Thanks for the help.
Dave
Old August 12th 04, 08:51 AM
Tony Raven

David wrote:

I took my bike into a shop last night and I will need new wheels
(which I suppose means new or refitted tyres, and all the rest of the
crap that needs to be installed. He quoted me a price way above what I
expected. I think it will have to wait until I get a new bike !
Thanks for the help.
Dave

In which case think about getting some Magura HS33s. They are not quite
as good as disc brakes but pretty close and much better than standard
V-brakes. Should cost about £100 all in.

Tony

Old August 12th 04, 10:11 AM
Dave Larrington

Simon Brooke wrote:

If you do rebuild your wheels remember that you cannot use radial
spoking with disk wheels - but then I've never seen a mountain bike
with a radially spoked wheel anyway.

The Hedgehog (my old Sonic) had a radially-spoked front wheel, trivia fans,
but that had cantilever brakes.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old August 12th 04, 10:18 AM
Dave Larrington

Chris Davies wrote:

Also make sure your frame and forks have disc mounts. This is very
unlikely to be a problem with a modern bike, but do check before you
get your wheels rebuilt. BTW, look at a wheel rebuild to cost 10-40

If your frame doesn't have the mounts, but has suitably thick ally dropouts,
you can use an "A2Z Disk Brake Retro-Fit Adaptor ", available from
Gearshift:

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/