blinded by light

Old October 4th 19, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default blinded by light

On Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 7:56:15 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/2/2019 9:37 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/2/2019 7:22 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

Don't you find it strange that I can't find the actual
company that BUILT the Salesforce Transit Center...

Um - no. No, I don't. You seem to have difficulty finding
anything that will prove any of your arguments correct.

Can't find parties to current lawsuits?
Why not? it's all public record:

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...ashi-tjpa.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

If you chase that around you discover that it is a Japanese owned company. But if you ask Frank how two massive steel beams can crack their entire lengths as those two did, he might actually be interested in admitting that neither Japanese nor American steel fails in that manner.

Also you might think it interesting that 45% of their contracts are in Asia and the Middle East (which doesn't make any steel.) Also interestingly enough - this Japanese owned company doesn't do any work in Japan.
Old October 4th 19, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Thursday, October 3, 2019 at 12:59:27 AM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
On 02/10/2019 23.45, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 13:03:41 +0100, Tosspot
wrote:

On 02/10/2019 09.40, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 09:34:19 +0100, Tosspot
wrote:

On 30/09/2019 14.54, jbeattie wrote:

snip

I also see a lot of DRL "good luck" rear blinkies -- the sort
of thing you would get free for your kid to wear
trick-or-treating. Why bother.

I've been using relights for 6 months now in a fit and forget
mode. I've only had rear lights fail a few times due to water
ingress, or cable issues, so I see the reelight not as an
alternative to proper lights, but an always on(for a given
value of) flash and hope until you notice the main rear light
is defunct for some reason.

How noticeable are the relights, say from 50 meters away? I've
been using a flashing red tail light for some time that is quite
noticeable but of course you need to charge the battery once in
a while :-(

The ones I've seen, very. They also have quite a field of vision.
The startup is interesting, they flash about 1 Hz for a minute of
two, then get up to 2 Hz, then seem to settle on about 3 after 5
minutes.

Can't really say much more, if it's still working in a couple of
years it will be worth it. If not, a Pox on the lot of 'em!

I was mistaken when you said "relight" and was thinking of the tiny
little ones that were power with the battery on the spokes but I now
see that they have a later design that seems to generate power from
the rotating wheel rim.

I have these

https://www.reelight.com/collections...nt=34453441041

without the front one, because I can see that! As I say, for a
maintenance free peace of mind, not bad. Reality is LED rear lights are
so good these days it isn't really a problem, but I have had a cable
come undone twice, and the hope is the reelights are waterproof and
totally maintenance free.

Not for everyone, but I thought it was worth a punt.

Forgive me for interrupting your thread on lights. All of the modern lights I've used are LED white and red and use little power and are probably too bright if they aren't properly focused so I sort of don't see the point of generators.
Old October 4th 19, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 15:06:39 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 7:39:50 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 10/2/2019 5:45 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

A largely capitalistic country ruled by a government that refers to
itself as "communist" :-)

Exactly. And when you go there and meet with government officials, all
of whom are party members, you realize that they are concerned about the
same things that government officials in other countries are concerned
about--jobs, tax revenue, environment, transportation, housing, etc..

I was wondering why they wanted to deport all of the residents of Hong Kong and replace them with government officials and all of their families for 3 generations.

Whatever are you talking about? As far as I can tell there is not and
never has been any discussion of deporting Hong Kong residents,
although the British did try at one time, vainly, to prevent
additional people from moving there.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 5th 19, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/4/2019 6:05 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 7:37:20 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/2/2019 7:22 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

Don't you find it strange that I can't find the actual company that BUILT the Salesforce Transit Center...

Um - no. No, I don't. You seem to have difficulty finding anything that
will prove any of your arguments correct.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Then with your publicly proclaimed massive knowledge why didn't YOU tell us who built it?

Do your homework for you? No thanks. You got yourself into this mess.
You do your own research. I'm not even very interested.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 6th 19, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 6:36:15 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/4/2019 6:05 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 7:37:20 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/2/2019 7:22 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

Don't you find it strange that I can't find the actual company that BUILT the Salesforce Transit Center...

Um - no. No, I don't. You seem to have difficulty finding anything that
will prove any of your arguments correct.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Then with your publicly proclaimed massive knowledge why didn't YOU tell us who built it?

Do your homework for you? No thanks. You got yourself into this mess.
You do your own research. I'm not even very interested.

I know who built is but apparently you don't. ALL of the large scale construction in Asia and most of the so-called Japanese construction in America is Chinese and financed by the four banks in China.
Old October 6th 19, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 10:54:49 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

About the banks, project financing is typically on the owner's side -- and with US public improvements, its done by selling bonds or through appropriations from dedicated funds (tolls/gas taxes) or even the general fund. The construction contractor may have credit lines or short term credit facilities, but the big money is coming from the owners. Cal-Trans is not getting financing from Chinese banks.

You need to get your rants straight. Go read up on the Belt and Road initiative, and sovereign debt financing in other countries by Chinese banks. The Chinese will end up repo-ing half the world. Ask John B. about Thailand's relationship with Chinese banks. That used to be us, but now that the US has withdrawn from the world, the Chinese are filling the void. Trump dumped the TPP, which was basically our counter-weight to the Belt and Road Initiative.

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 6th 19, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 1:34:30 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

What bonds do you suppose were sold for the Oakland half of the Bay Bridge or the Transit Center?
Old October 6th 19, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 10:54:46 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

[...]

Can you provide any exidence that you know what you are talking about?
Or is this just one of your current fancies.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 6th 19, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 2:29:57 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I don't know, but the state regularly issues GO bonds for many infrastructure projects/obligations. https://muninetguide.com/featured-bo...s-green-bonds/ They're selling like hot-cakes after the Trump tax plan, BTW, and people seeking stable returns in a volatile market. You should Google it and see how they financed the bridge -- and who financed it. The Bay Bridge and Transit Center could have been paid from some dedicated funding source (tolls/gas taxes). I doubt it was general fund, but it could be. There are a lot of ways to finance infrastructure -- some driven by federal matching grant programs. Chinese banks fit in nowhere.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 7th 19, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 13:34:27 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

[...]

The high speed rail system here in Thailand is being built in phases.
The Northern link Chang Mai - Bangkok will be built with Japanese
technology and financing. The Northeastern link will be with Chinese
funding and I'm not sure what technology. Only the Northeastern link -
Bangkok - Nakhon Ratchasima - is under construction at this time. The
published reports of the project, to date, refer to "memorandum of
understanding's between the Japanese and Chinese governments and
Thailand with financing being supplied by China and Japan."

Based on what has been written both phases are government to
government projects.

Re Chinese banks in Thailand of the top ten banks in the country two
appear to have foreign investment - Thanachart Bank is 49% owned by
Scotiabank of Canada, and CIMB Bank, a subsidiary of the CIMB Group,
which is Malaysia's 2nd largest financial services provider.

And finally the foreign owned Standard Chartered Thailand which is a
subsidiary of Standard Chartered Bank.
--
cheers,

John B.

Blinded James[_8_] Techniques 59 September 12th 15 11:29 PM
Blinded by the light. James[_8_] Techniques 1 November 26th 13 04:27 AM
Cyclist blinded by egg. Simon Mason UK 52 October 26th 05 04:09 PM
Ever blinded by your helmet? B Paton Social Issues 27 November 16th 04 10:03 PM
Blinded by the light elyob UK 301 October 4th 03 05:34 PM