Life is like a bicycle

Old December 14th 09, 04:37 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.rides
LionTeaser

Default Life is like a bicycle

GETTING DOWN TO BUSINESS...

On Dec 13, 11:16 pm, George Chalkin wrote:
We may not be happy, but still are a family.

Maybe if we all go vegetarian...

I don't wnat to sound discouraging, but to make any progress towards
your goal, you must make a realistic assessment of the environment and
opposition, and also of any resources. Of course if a community can
agree upon some conditions and terms towards a common-goal, then you
have a collective resource. But alternative lifestyles and counter-
cultures are generally under political attack most of the time, and so
most of you your resources will probably be deployed fighting
political battles rather than making progress towards your goal and
enjoying any gains. However, non-profit org. is probably your best bet
to get something started.

Hey, that's some fruitful advice there!

But Jesus came (or not) and it was much later that people started
organizing until Rome converted and the rest is history.

When people see the advantage of adopting a jungle model many things
will start happening:

1- We would be aware of the predators (politicians, drivers) around
us, the way we are aware of sexual predators today. I say two species
so different like politicians and drivers because they prevent us from
changing things for the better and do the simple thing which is to
ride a bike,

2- I couldn't think of a law that applies in the jungle that doesn't
apply to the human jungle: BIG FISH EATS LITTLE FISH (money makes size
among us), EVERYONE TO HIMSELF (Darwinistic capitalism), MONKEY SEE
MONKEY DO (collective-herd behavior, our youngsters dressed with
hanging pants), CAMOUFLAGE (sneaky politicians with picture-perfect
families), PUNISHMENT AND REWARD when taming a beast (say the animals
behind the wheel), WE ARE DIFFERENT SPECIES (I mean we are one
species, but we all have different needs and expectations). For
example, under predatory capitalism we assume that a cyclist is a
failed consumer because he CAN'T afford a car...

3- It's plain fun to consider ourselves sort of a zoo, imagining who's
who in the jungle.

Old December 14th 09, 05:05 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.rides
LionTeaser

On Dec 13, 9:38 pm, Ron Wallenfang wrote:
On Dec 13, 12:03 pm, LionWhisperer wrote:

On Dec 12, 10:48 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

But you still endeavour to scare people off their bikes.
That is an evil and wicked goal.
Screw you and the horse you rode into town on.
Your ANTI-bicycling propaganda cannot withstand
the light of truth.

What scares people is the predators that I'm trying to put in the
cage.

I've challenged you and anyone else out there to come here and face
this jungle. We make a movie and we'll be celebrities going safari!

But you seem to be more stupid than the beast.

As per a previous exchange we've had, I have biked through your
"jungle" in Miami, and did not find it easy, at least not on US 1
coming up from the south.

You have often asserted that "Christian" motorists are responsible for
the danger. If this were so and Miami is uniquely dangerous, we ought
to find a huge concentration of Christian Church-goers in Miami. So I
checked it out and, guess what, there isn't. My research source here
is Dave Olson atwww.TheAmericanChurch.org. According to its national
statistics, weekly Christian Church attendance in Florida is
substandard at 15%, and Dade County is below the Florida average.
North Dakota is tied (with LA) for first with just under 30%. I
single out North Dakota, because two of my most pleasant long bike
trip segments were in ND. One is atwww.crazyguyonabike.com/doc4786-
see days 10-12, especially 12. I'll give the cite for the other is a
follow-up post. Wisconsin, where I live is not far behind the
leaders, and also is a very good place to bike ride.

You are a true SURVIVOR of the jungle! Maybe you shuld send your
report to...

http://comebackalive.com/site3.php?p...tion_id=things

Anyway, I don't even define myself as an atheist. I guess I belong
with Mark Twain in questioning things like Religion and Politics...

"The motto stated a lie. If this nation has ever trusted in God, that
time has gone by; for nearly half a century almost its entire trust
has been in the Republican party and the dollar--mainly the dollar. I
recognize that I am only making an assertion and furnishing no proof;
I am sorry, but this is a habit of mine; sorry also that I am not
alone in it; everybody seems to have this disease."
- Mark Twain in Eruption

Anyway, I'm aiming at a trilogy formed by Government, Religion and
Corporations... Where one begins and the other one ends is hard to
know. I can't address government and corporations though this forum,
but I can reach the only organized party I know: THE CHRISTIANS. They
voted Bush into office on issues like the war, gays and abortion. I
can also blame the Republicans for it, but this is not fair either.
SUVs and Globalization came into fashion under Clinton. And chances
are things won't be fixed under Obama either.

Why don't we drop the "In God we trust" from the mighty dollar and
start facing the problem at the source? What's the source and the
bottom end of it? THE DOLLAR. We can't ride bikes because it's not
convenient and comfortable for the trilogy. I'm sure there are many
people out there questioning things, and they may be Christian...
fine!

Justice can come through in many ways: Jesus inspired Gandhi, and
Gandhi inspired M.L. King. My praise to them. But we are dealing with
a nation that casually defines itself as Christian and yet it's part
of the worst predation. It may be good for the casual observer, but
not for the li-on hunter (hunter of the lie)... that's pure
CAMOUFLAGE.
Old December 14th 09, 10:18 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.rides
Edward Dolan

"LionTeaser" wrote in message
[...]
Anyway, I don't even define myself as an atheist. I guess I belong
with Mark Twain in questioning things like Religion and Politics...

"The motto stated a lie. If this nation has ever trusted in God, that
time has gone by; for nearly half a century almost its entire trust
has been in the Republican party and the dollar--mainly the dollar. I
recognize that I am only making an assertion and furnishing no proof;
I am sorry, but this is a habit of mine; sorry also that I am not
alone in it; everybody seems to have this disease."
- Mark Twain in Eruption [...]

Anyone still read Mark Twain? I have always found him, along with Will
Rogers, to be the worst sort of yokel. They truly belong to another century
and have absolutely no relevance to today. They fancied themselves wise
humorists, but basically unfunny and dumb to the core. Truth to tell, they
were both jerks!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old December 17th 09, 04:57 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.rides
LionTeaser

On Dec 14, 4:18*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]

But that quotation is right on the money. It seems written today...

We worship gold while claiming to worship god.

Old December 18th 09, 12:16 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.rides
Edward Dolan

[...]

I am as poor as a church mouse and have been so all of my life. The only
thing I ever splurged on were recumbent bicycles.

I am content to just get by provided I do not have to work at a job. I leave
drudgery to the workers of the world of which there never seems to be a
shortage. Instead, I have spent my life listening to the music of Beethoven
and reading the works of Arnold Toynbee. I think I could have spent my life
doing far worse.

Old December 18th 09, 04:41 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.rides

On Dec 17, 6:16*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]

Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota- Hide quoted text -

The music of Beethoven is the best company for a relaxed bike ride. I
have an Electra Classic, like the vintage British bikes. It got a big
carrying capacity, and straight sitting in the old style. I've got
other bikes but they need bigger distances, and I'm waiting to see if
they want to tame the jungle around here.

Also got a chopper with ape hangers for the beach but I'm tired of
riding the stupid path up and down all the time like an idiot. I like
HAVING A PURPOSE for riding.
Old December 18th 09, 05:13 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.rides
Edward Dolan

"His Highness Comandante Banana, King of the Apes I & Chief of Quixotic
Enterprises" wrote in message
[...]
The music of Beethoven is the best company for a relaxed bike ride. I

have an Electra Classic, like the vintage British bikes. It got a big
carrying capacity, and straight sitting in the old style. I've got
other bikes but they need bigger distances, and I'm waiting to see if
they want to tame the jungle around here.

You cannot beat a recumbent style of bicycle for relaxed cycling. Yet it is
good exercise too. Recumbents are just plain fun to ride. Uprights are
mostly a pain in the ass, the neck, the shoulders, the lower back, etc.

Also got a chopper with ape hangers for the beach but I'm tired of

riding the stupid path up and down all the time like an idiot. I like
HAVING A PURPOSE for riding.

I always try to do some kind of circuit of the town. Back and forth does not
work for me either. A suitable purpose for riding is recreation, but you
really feel like you are ahead of all the other idiots in the world when you
can combine recreation with doing your chores (grocery shopping, hardware
store, etc.).