Shelf Life Of Tires?

Old May 7th 05, 04:30 AM
Matt O'Toole

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

This is probably moot bc a set of tires lasts me more than a year.

Having said that, if I were to see a *really* good deal on my WTB
Mutano Raptor Race tires would it pay me to stock up...or would I
wind up with a bunch of new-but rotted tires a few years later?

They seem to last several years if stored properly -- away from sunlight, ozone,
and freezing temperatures. I had some folded tires stored in a cold garage.
They cracked at the folds, and the casings blew out when I finally mounted and
used them. Also, while I prefer to trust my life to fresh rubber on a road
bike, MTB tires aren't as critical. There's a lot more tire doing a lot less
work.

There are always good MTB tires on sale really cheap somewhere. But they change
with the winds of fashion, so if you have a special favorite it could be worth
stocking up. You might never see it again.

I wish I had stocked up on the original Bontrager Revolts, both the slick center
and short knob varieties. Supergo sold huge piles of them a few years ago for
$10 each or less. Now they're gone forever.

Matt O.

Old May 7th 05, 05:13 AM
Werehatrack

On Fri, 06 May 2005 20:35:17 -0700, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

This is probably moot bc a set of tires lasts me more than a year.

Having said that, if I were to see a *really* good deal on my WTB Mutano Raptor
Race tires would it pay me to stock up...or would I wind up with a bunch of
new-but rotted tires a few years later?

Bag 'em in plastic and stash them in a cool location well away from
sources of ozone (such as furnace blowers) and UV (such as sunlight
and fluorescent lighting), and they should keep for quite a
while...but bear in mind that for the most part, tire designs are
still improving; what's considered Extra Good Stuff today may only be
ordinary next year. I'd only advise grabbing one extra set. (On the
other hand, I should also note that I, too, like to stock up on stuff
that I have found to be particularly good, because inevitably, just
about the time that I need another one, I find out that it was
discontinued six months ago...and they're all long gone. I'd probably
grab two sets if it was something I was buying for myself.)
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old May 7th 05, 08:11 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
This is probably moot bc a set of tires lasts me more than a year.

Having said that, if I were to see a *really* good deal on my WTB Mutano
Raptor
Race tires would it pay me to stock up...or would I wind up with a bunch
of
new-but rotted tires a few years later?

Which really good deal is this? I checked out Jenson and Cambria, but
they're not quite down to the $12/tire I paid for the MutanoRaptor Race 2.4s
I bought from Cambria 2 years ago. The unmounted ones are doing just fine,
too, but I only have one left so stocking up looks like a good idea. There
really are no 600-gram, 2.1in tires out there, except for this one. Not
like it matters... I just like the way it looks.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old May 7th 05, 11:54 AM
Ken

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
This is probably moot bc a set of tires lasts me more than a year.

Having said that, if I were to see a *really* good deal on my WTB Mutano

Raptor
Race tires would it pay me to stock up...or would I wind up with a bunch

of
new-but rotted tires a few years later?
--
PeteCresswell

Well I have read that if tires are stored properly they will stay *good* for
years in storage. I have also read that it is best to store them in a cool,
dry, air-free (vacuum) environment.
Ken

Old May 7th 05, 04:49 PM
(PeteCresswell)

Per Werehatrack:
I'd only advise grabbing one extra set.

Sounds like the logical thing to do. Time value of money, advances in
technology, and the other posts' mention of eventual decay....

It *is* nice to have a spare or two on hand so the occasional total failure
doesn't madate an emergency trip to the LBS... OTOH, retired tires probably
fulfill that function adequately.

Bottom line, thanks to those who responded: I think I've put this little notion
to rest...
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 7th 05, 04:50 PM
(PeteCresswell)

Per Phil, Squid-in-Training:
Which really good deal is this?

None currently.

Somebody mentioned picking up a bunch of them cheap from one of the online
retailers - and I think that's what got me going on this notion.
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 8th 05, 10:04 AM
Nick Payne

I folded a Specialized Expedition 27x1-3/8 in three loops and wrapped it in
duct tape in 1984 as a spare to carry when touring on our tandem. It was
carried on the outside of the pannier on our annual tour and tossed it on a
shelf in the garage for the rest of each year. We finally had to use it
about three years ago when our front tyre encountered a broken bottle on
tour. When I unwrapped the duct tape the tread and casing still seemed to be
in good condition and the wear of the tyre seemed much the same as normal.

Nick

Old May 8th 05, 03:27 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Nick Payne" wrote:

[...]

My friend Dave is commuting on a tubular made in Czechoslovakia. He
bought it from a racer who was dumping all his old gear. It was made in
about 1977.

At present, the tire shows virtually no signs of wear or degradation,
other than that you would expect on a commuter bike tire some fraction
of the way through its working life.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.