Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

Old August 19th 05, 01:40 PM
JJuggle

Default Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

EYE-POPPING PLOY TO CUT PETROL BILL

By REBECCA DEVINE in Rotorua
329 words
The Daily Post (New Zealand)
A03
English
Copyright 2005 APN New Zealand Ltd - Regionals. All Rights Reserved

JUSTIN Roper has come up with a novel way to save petrol and keep
motorists amused - he rides a unicycle to work.

The 18-year-old has made his way across town each day on the one-
wheeled bike since rising petrol prices made driving to work just that
little bit more expensive.

While riding a unicycle to work takes a bit longer than riding an
ordinary bike, the looks he gets from drivers make it all the more
worthwhile.

He started riding a unicycle from his Tilsley St flat across town to
Tarawera Rd, where he works at the Outdoorsman Headquarters over the
weekend.

``It was sitting at home and it wasn't being used so I thought I could
use it to get to work.''

Mr Roper reckons the attention he's been getting from motorists along
his Marguerita St and Te Ngae Rd route has been huge.

``Lots of people have been beeping their horns and yelling at me,'' Mr
Roper said.

The unicycle was purchased about a month ago and it look a little while
to learn to ride.

``It wasn't too bad.

``I started riding it back and forwards in the lounge at home holding on
to the sofa.''

So far there haven't been any major injuries - with avoiding pot-holes
and bumps the toughest part of the 30-minute journey between home and
work.

Meanwhile, others have told the Daily Post of more extravagant ways to
save money with the rising petrol costs.

Hamish Pearce said his idea would be to build a pedal-powered flying
machine to fly to work.

Meanwhile, former Waikite Valley resident Steven Fiske has decided to
move closer to town.

He said his skyrocketing fuel bill for the 80km trip to and from work
had led to him buying a house only 4km from his Rotorua workplace.

Be in to win petrol vouchers, p10

--
JJuggle - Meet the new boss...

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

I hate run on sentences, pizza tastes good.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24