Municyclist in PDX?

Old August 12th 05, 10:48 AM
john_childs

Default Municyclist in PDX?

jagur wrote:
*hey now, that Mayor acually made it legal to ride your other than
bike means of commuting in the street at least. untill then, you
couldnt ride you rollerblades,skateboard, pogostick etc. even
unicycles in the downtown streets at all....

at least she signed on to that. now people have more ways to leave
thier cars at home...

Katz isnt the Mayor anymore. *

Vera Katz didn't initiate the change to the skateboarding and the
non-bicycle vehicle laws. It was a city commissioner that proposed the
change. And it was about 7 years into her reign that the issue was
finally addressed. It happened in spite of Katz not because of Katz.

Here's a good site about Oregon and Portland bicycle laws:
'Bicycle laws' (http://www.stc-law.com/bicycle.html)
'More on bicycle laws' (http://www.stc-law.com/bikearticles.html)
'Skate law and non-bicycle vehicle law'
(http://www.stc-law.com/skate.html)

And I know Vera Katz is finally no longer mayor of Portland. About
time. I have no idea if the new guy is a turd or not.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)

Old August 12th 05, 03:34 PM
UniBrier

freshyfresh,

I'm in Tillamook next Wednesday and will probably do an AM ride
somewhere up in the Coast Range on the Wilson (The highway between
Banks and Tillamook).

This will be my last internet access until Tuesday nite though. My cell
is 206 890-1024 if you're interested.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is to hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just
stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go
inside and watch TV.” – Homer
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old August 12th 05, 11:29 PM
freshyfresh

Thanks for all the replies. I guess the short answer is no there are
not muni riders in Portland, well atleast not that are on this list.

Anyhoo, looks like there are several folks within 30mins or so. I also
know there are folks in Bend.

As for riding downtown, tis true, you can't uni on the sidewalks. I
have and was told by TheMan to get my bike off the sidewalk, when I
started to say it wasn't a bike dude got ****ed. So I tend to say off
sidewalks downtown to avoid conficts.

I've down some scouting, looks like under the east side of the
Hawthorne bridge there are some cool things to play on. I've also found
a spot near the Rose Quarter transit center. I'm sure there are cool
play spots all over the place, these are just ones that I've noticed.

BTW: Thanks for the offer UniBrier, but I'm not gonna be heading that
way.

Old August 13th 05, 02:33 AM
john_childs

There have been previous posts to the forum by Portland area riders
looking for others in the area. Search the forum. Here's a couple that
I managed to find with a very quick and dirty search:
'Hood River area MUNI rider' (http://tinyurl.com/ay8p6)
'Oregon Unicyclists?' (http://tinyurl.com/dzw9a)

Here's a thread on 'Hood River and the Post Canyon trails'
(http://tinyurl.com/7razk). Theo is probably a Portland area rider.

If you learn the trails around Post Canyon and are willing to informally
organize a ride in Hood River at Post Canyon I'd be willing to drive
down to Hood River to go riding for the weekend. I do need to get down
to Hood River before the end of the good riding season this year. The
trails there are fun and Hood River is a good place to visit.

Old August 18th 05, 05:26 PM
freshyfresh

Thanks for the search results John, I had dug around a bit and found
them. Post Canyon sounds awesome, don't know when I'll get the chance
to get out there, but I'm gonna add it to my list!

If any of you semi-locals are looking for uni fun check out the
cyclocross action this fall. Here's a link to the site:
http://crosscrusade.com/forum/forum_...p?TID=298&PN=1

I think there were 3-5 racers last year.

Old August 19th 05, 04:31 PM
UniBrier

Mt. Hood Ski Bowl has a fun downhill run open to MTB and MUni (See 'this
thread' (http://tinyurl.com/c7bvd)). There is also a ride down to a lake
so you can spend some time at the top before the big descent.

I held off riding on Tuesday due to the AM rain. Ended up skipping the
trail on the Wilson River at the King Mountain Trailhead and decided to
do the 900' descent in 2.5 miles on a Cape Lookout foot path later in
the afternoon. Unfortunately when I got dropped off at the top of the
cape I found the trail was closed due to an un-repaired landslide from
earlier this year. It turned out to be a pretty boring 900' descent on
the road shoulder. Scenery always good though.