Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

Old August 18th 05, 09:29 PM
cathwood

Default Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

I have recently been asked to write an article regarding my 'unusual
hobbies' for the staff magazine at the hospital in which I work.
This is it
“Where’s your other wheel?”

These are the words that I most often hear shouted at me as I cycle down
the prom. On a bad day I am asked if I belong to the circus and even
told to get a life. On a good day I am applauded.

This sort of attention came as a complete surprise to me when I started
unicycling. There I was, believing that my quest to conquer the
one-wheeled wonder was between my unicycle and me. The aim was to learn
to ride it before my 40th birthday and I have accomplished this. I can
now be found on a windless evening unicycling from Prestatyn to Rhyl and
back. It’s fantastic exercise and a great feeling – almost like flying.
But most of all it is a triumph over my clumsiness and lack of balancing
skills and I love it.

Unicycling is a sport but it is also a circus skill. I have many hobbies
that go under the expression ‘circus skills’. I hope one day to be able
to practice my juggling whilst riding my unicycle. At the moment I can
juggle five balls and even juggle knives.

However, my most extreme circus skill is spinning fire. This is
exhilarating and challenging. A combination of the body’s natural
rhythms and, well, fire. The fire is spun, either on the end of two
short chains, two short poles or at both ends of one long pole.

No one shouts things at me when I am spinning fire!

Cathy

--
cathwood - Lunicyclist

A thought is just a thought.