Anybody watch this year's Tour de France?

Old August 8th 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
It's Chris

Default Anybody watch this year's Tour de France?

Especially stage 16, over the Col de la Lombarde?

Any one here know just how many switchbacks there are (total) on that
hill?

In the first part (before the "straight section")?

In the second part (after it)?

Thanks

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Old August 9th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Davey Crockett[_5_]

It's Chris a écrit profondement:

| Especially stage 16, over the Col de la Lombarde?
|
| Any one here know just how many switchbacks there are (total) on that
| hill?
|
| In the first part (before the "straight section")?
|
| In the second part (after it)?
|
| Thanks
|
| - -
| Compliments of:
| "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
|
| If you want to E-mail me use:
| ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net
|
| My website:
| http://geocities.com/czcorner

From Davey's experience, the Lombardia doesn't have all that many
switchbacks.

The turns can be described more as "winding" but that might be a
contentious point.

From either the Italian side (Vinadio/Cuneo) or the French side
(Isola) the climb is about 22 km with an average grade of about 7
percent.

From both sides you climb around 1450 meters with a bit steeper
maximum grade of 9.3 from the French side.

The roads are relatively wide and the descents fast but the road
surface is somtimes in poor shape, particularly on the Italian
side. When you see the warnings posted, be sure to slow down

The panoramic view of the Alps from the top is absolutely awesome -
perhaps the best of any climb in that part of the world.

You should be able to use a search engine to find more precise data,
but be very careful as some of the descriptions are totally borked and
obviouslty written by ******s who never were anywhere near the
Col. Wikipedia is a prime example. The climb starts in Isola. Isola
2000 is an entirely different place and about 16 - 17 clicks into the
climb from the Froggy side and actually the site of Davey's club's
annual fall picnic.

--
Davey Crockett

Old August 9th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

It's Chris schreef:
Especially stage 16, over the Col de la Lombarde?

Any one here know just how many switchbacks there are (total) on that
hill?

Count 'm
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=&...lSPNb7Pt-wfTzw
Old August 9th 08, 09:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Martin

in 45657 20080809 013720 Ted van de Weteringe wrote:
It's Chris schreef:
Especially stage 16, over the Col de la Lombarde?

Any one here know just how many switchbacks there are (total) on that
hill?

Count 'm
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=&...lSPNb7Pt-wfTzw

Wonder why the camera car chickened out of so many summits?
Probably snow, in which case why couldn't they have left the snowy bits
until last when the weather was better?

This year's tour - vernon UK 7 July 11th 07 04:52 PM
where to watch the Tour de France in San Jose yirg Racing 1 July 19th 06 02:20 AM
Don't Watch the Tour de France Tom Kunich Racing 32 July 1st 06 09:40 AM
Where can I watch the 2005 Tour de France in Charlotte, NC? [email protected] Social Issues 1 July 5th 05 02:48 AM
hGH Testing For The Year's Giro and Tour? B. Lafferty Racing 0 August 12th 04 09:26 PM