Bottom bracket shell failure question

Old April 10th 05, 02:57 PM

Default Bottom bracket shell failure question

I just bought a vintage Torpado Superlight frame from about 1985.
This frame is made of Columbus SLX tubing and was their top of the line
frame from that time. The frame is in very nice condition with no rust
and a clean bottom bracket shell. The bottom bracket shell is an
english threaded Cinelli. Torpado cut a decorative "T" in the bottom
bracket shell that measures about 2cm X 2cm. When my LBS professional
looked the frame over, he was critical of the cutout. He told me that
Torpado went out of business because of bottom bracket frame failures.
He felt that the cutout in the bottom of the shell might cause failure
if standing on the pedals. Does anyone have any experience with this
issue? Especially with Torpadoes? Another employee felt that this issue
diminished with the use of a modern cartridge bottom bracket. Any
opinions from the group would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old April 10th 05, 09:29 PM
Ground Zero

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I question the bike shop's knowledge of Torpado and why it is no longer in
business. But that is another topic....

Usually, a small cut-out in the bottom bracket shell shouldn't cause frame
failure. Many frames have a small hole drilled in the shell to aid in the
removal of moisture from inside the frame tubes. Plus, if the cut-out is
centered on the shell, it is in a low stress position - the greatest stress
is concentrated at the threaded ends of the shell.

The only concern I see is the potential for stress fractures if the cut-out
is angular.. easily rectified by rounding the corners with a small file.

Stuart Winsor
Ground Zero Cycles

Old April 11th 05, 05:56 AM
firewolf65

Back in day many things were tried to lose weight on the bikes, and bottom
brackets were one spot, I we member hearing that they used to drill out the
bracket and use soup cans in order to lighten. But the LBS was right, in
questioning the BB shell. I would because of year and lack of staying power
of the manufacturer.

I would think long and hard, if it was free then go for it, otherwise?

If you do decide to take it, I agree with Ground Zero on the filing.

Good luck
ups.com...