Hope brake servicing

Old January 19th 06, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Hope brake servicing

Dear All,

I'm planning on overhauling my Hope brakes (M4 front and DH4 rear with
Pro levers)

They no longer seem to work well, the pads don't retract properly and
they constantly seem to need bleeding. I can't see any leaks.

Has anyone here done this themselves? Or should I take them into a shop
(£30 per brake!)?

What should I replace? I'm thinking all seals and hoses. Are the seals
standard O rings or do I need to get proper Hope spares?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks!

Nick

Old January 19th 06, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Cheers Tony,

Is the bleed kit basically a big syringe and some tubes?

The excess fluid would have to come out of the reservoir, do you just
mop it up?

I've heard of lubricating the pistons too with brake fluid. Surely you
risk contaminating the pads?

Old January 19th 06, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

In article .com,
) wrote:
Dear All,

I'm planning on overhauling my Hope brakes (M4 front and DH4 rear with
Pro levers)

They no longer seem to work well, the pads don't retract properly and
they constantly seem to need bleeding. I can't see any leaks.

This happened to one of mine; turned out to be where the diaphragm fits
into the little square slot at the join 'twixt fluid reservoir & the cap
thereof.

Copper seize stuff applied carefully to the pistons seems to help with
the retracting.

And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And
the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries
of the carrots! You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and
to them it is the holocaust."
Old January 19th 06, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

In article . com,
) wrote:
Cheers Tony,

Is the bleed kit basically a big syringe and some tubes?

Hope do a thing called, improbably, "My Little Bleeder" with all manner
of strange tubes and fittings in it, but it's not required for bleeding.
I have one but have not yet had cause to use it. However, I think it
only works with the Mini levers.

The excess fluid would have to come out of the reservoir, do you just
mop it up?

With all my Hopes (2 x Mono Mini, 3 x Mini, 1 x M4), fluid goes in at
the reservoir and excess comes out at the bleed nipple on the caliper.
Manuals are available in PDF format he
URL:http://www.hopetech.com/technical/technical_index.htm

I've heard of lubricating the pistons too with brake fluid. Surely you
risk contaminating the pads?

Remove them before going anywhere near the pistons...

They came for Eamonn Holmes; I think I'm right in saying that I
applauded.
Old January 20th 06, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Thanks for the useful advice everyone!

I'll get the bits and have a go at fixing them!

Nick

? 7 speed internal gear, hub brake, NON-coaster? [email protected] General 8 August 24th 05 07:15 PM
adventures with nexus roller brake install merryfreakinxmas Recumbent Biking 0 July 14th 05 10:13 AM
Rider Down! slim Social Issues 9 October 19th 04 01:41 PM
Brake question: Fuego Unicycling 8 August 18th 04 06:25 PM
a brake?! ChangingLINKS.com Unicycling 12 February 8th 04 07:15 PM