bents: saving your butt

Old June 21st 08, 10:06 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Zebee Johnstone

Default bents: saving your butt

In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent on Sat, 21 Jun 2008 01:15:52 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:
When I ride my upright bike and I see bumps/rough pavement ahead I
naturally get the weight of my butt off the seat and use me legs as a
"suspension". What do the recumbent folk do? One can't raise the butt
off the seat, right? Just suffer through the rough stuff? Is it too
bad to worry about?

Most of the time I just let the mesh seat take it, and my Giro's
monotube seems to soak up a bit too.

When it's very bumpy I push against the seatback and pedals and raise
my backside off the seat. It does mean I can't pedal at that moment
but most of the time that's not a problem.

Zebee

Old June 22nd 08, 04:48 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Most of the time I just let the mesh seat take it, and my Giro's
monotube seems to soak up a bit too.

When it's very bumpy I push against the seatback and pedals and raise
my backside off the seat. It does mean I can't pedal at that moment
but most of the time that's not a problem.

Zebee

Are there any successful suspension designs out there?
Old June 22nd 08, 11:31 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent[_6_]

wrote in message

Most of the time I just let the mesh seat take it, and my Giro's
monotube seems to soak up a bit too.

When it's very bumpy I push against the seatback and pedals and raise
my backside off the seat. It does mean I can't pedal at that moment
but most of the time that's not a problem.

Zebee

Are there any successful suspension designs out there?

Recent trikes made by ICE have a rear suspension (www.trice.com). It works
well enough to take the edge of rough pavement, but all the Tricen are
tadpoles. My HP Velotechnik Speedmachine is a fully suspended lowracer and
the suspension is superb and having two wheels there is none of the side to
side pitching that happens with my Trice.

Stein trikes in Germany builds full suspension tadpoles. (link
http://tinyurl.com/orh72). I don't have any experience with Stein, but there
are some You-Tube videos of them in action.

AFAIK Sun has or had a delta in the product line that had a front boom
pivot/spring/shock.

gotbent aka FRVT rider

Old June 22nd 08, 09:34 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
DougC

Bumps on a recumbent are not the painful experience that they are on an
upright bike.
,,,,
Also--recumbents tend to run tires a bit fatter than what typical road
bikes will, because of the fact that you cannot lift off the bike to
absorb bumps. The roadie-style recumbents are built to be lightweight
and fast and come with road bike-width tires, but a lot of "all-purpose"
recumbents come with smooth tires that are around 1.5" wide.

Are there any successful suspension designs out there?

There are lots of suspension recumbents available, although the prices
go skyward pretty quick. And I don't know of any suspended delta trikes
right off.
~
Old June 22nd 08, 11:37 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
jukka matikainen

my guess is that something is coming out in patents concerning the problem;
producing them in trikes or whatsoever can take years; patents tend to be
quite unpractical or /and costly;
during ten years I introduced theory to solve problems with meeting bumps
to quite a few persons and producers and in England the answer was
something like : "your theory is worth nothing to us", in my own country I
was told it was costly and I was also told to market the idea to producers
making human powered vehicles and especially for handicapped persons ;
now I think next ten years in developing the idea will make use of it...

"DougC" kirjoitti

Old June 23rd 08, 07:34 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On Jun 22, 3:37 pm, "jukka matikainen"
wrote:
[...]

I saw a link to a suspension wheel hub somewhere... I wonder how well
it works. I like fast skinny wheels/tires from my upright racing
years.
Old June 27th 08, 11:45 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Steve McDonald

"DougC" wrote in message

Bumps on a recumbent are not the painful experience that they are on an
upright bike.
,,,,
Also--recumbents tend to run tires a bit fatter than what typical road
bikes will, because of the fact that you cannot lift off the bike to
absorb bumps. The roadie-style recumbents are built to be lightweight and
fast and come with road bike-width tires, but a lot of "all-purpose"
recumbents come with smooth tires that are around 1.5" wide.

.... Are there any successful suspension designs out there?

There are lots of suspension recumbents available, although the prices go
skyward pretty quick. And I don't know of any suspended delta trikes right
off.
~

Look into getting a seat that uses stretched fabric, rather than a solid
material. A friend who is a longtime designer of recumbents, swears by this
type of seat for comfort.

Steve McDonald

bents: saving your butt [email protected] Recumbent Biking 10 July 9th 08 12:28 AM
Nice butt! Dan H Marketplace 1 February 9th 06 07:10 AM
Butt pain John L. Lucci Techniques 12 March 26th 05 11:55 AM
Ed is the butt of the joke. Howard Recumbent Biking 1 March 13th 04 02:58 AM